Myself and my crazy akita mix hiked straight up and back to Slide Mtn summit from Rt 47 parking, did not take slight option for the small loop due to time constraints.
5.5 miles total, just under 3 hrs total with 20 mins of that taking in the different top views.
First creek crossing was sketchy, water on either side of obvious crossing was at least 1 to 1.5 ft deep so I carried Rory across the ice-covered rocks and logs, crossing my fingers and toes the whole way.
Bottom third of the trail was covered in a dusting of snow and with ice on some rocks and small puddles frozen.
Middle third was heavy dusting and lots of ice.
Top third could not see any rocks or ground with probably inches of snow and heavy ice covering the whole trail.
Brought microspikes and crampons, I barebooted up the whole way, carefully dancing on all the ice towards the top. After sharing respect for Mr Burroughs at his plaque I spiked up on top for our trip back down and it made life much easier and even jogged most of the way with confidence in my freshly-filed kahtoolas.
Trail was very easy to follow, shorter hike with not much variation in terrain except hardwoods below and softwoods up top, but no real reason to drop a star off rating, especially with the various great views up high (west view before and around plaque ledge after).
I was first to sign in around 7 and we had solitude all the way up, on the way down passed a bunch of groups going up.
Definitely looking forward to doing this one again in middle winter and also dry/warm summer, especially with option for Corn/Witt and the other trail options and possible whacks.
This is probably great for an intro high-peak hike with its ease in following and shorter length, I would just pay mind to recent rains due to the first creek crossing within view of parking area.