Slide Mountain Trail

Slide Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Big Indian, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A short jog up a 4,000 foot peak in the Catskills and another on your NE 111er list. This is a very easy climb up Slide Mountain in the Catskills. Like other summits in the Catskills the top is wooded but there is an overlook near the top that offers great views over the surrounding hills. You'll also pass through very distinct forest stands on the way to the top.

An enjoyable hike. The red trail is kinda steep, but very manageable. The blue trails is an easy why down for the most part. You can get a pretty good view of the Catskill divide close to the top.

Climbing slide from the Slide MTN parking area is long, boring, and very rocky. The best way to climb Slide MTN is from the other side coming from Cornell MTN, it has great scrambles and a much better hike. Plan 2 days (I've done it 1 day but it's a killer), start in Woodland Valley parking area and follow the red trail up Wittenberg all the way to Slide MTN.

I did the red trail only, out and back. The best view is before you reach the summit. Just like the other previous hikers said there's not much into it.

This is not a very difficult hike, but the climb is steep and very wet in some areas. There really isn't a "summit" and the nice views are only in one spot, but the forest is dense and gorgeous. Our dog loved it and it was a nice workout for us.

Steady rocky slog to the top. Nice views on the left prior to summit.

Since there are two paths I took both, blue trail up and red down. The way up was very nice, some steep parts but nothing too bad, very scenic and there is two nice views you can get on that trail. The summit marker is gone now, you can barely see off the summit but before you get there the views are breathtaking. The red trail down was lame, it's steep, it's not scenic, it's not fun. It's just bland and lame. I'd forgo it altogether.

Took the red trail up, long and ass kicking as the whole trail was wet and rocky and muddy in many sections, causing a need to be extra careful. It's a pretty trail, smelling like Christmas at one point with all the pine trees, but not for novice hikers. VERY disappointed in the lack of views but I knew this going in.

Took the blue trail down, which added a mile to the full length of our hike, but agree that it's easier then going back down the red. There is one spot on the blue that has a halfway decent view and there are some rock scrambles down but definitely the better trail to descend.

Honestly, glad I did it but I won't be going back. Just not worth the effort more than once. Every person who reached the summit said "that's it?" because there is nothing to see. It's entirely blocked by enormous pine trees. The only views are just before the summit and they're all obstructed.

we saw a bear on the way down. we stuck to the red trail up and down. we didn't start the hike until 230p, and were back to the car by 6p

A solid hike up, pretty rocky the whole way. Views are decent along the way, but not as good at top. If you are doing the up and down same day hike, I highly recommend taking the blue trail back down. It is much easy, as there are less loose rocks. Plus, there are really nice views, and a wonderful dark pine forest. Plus, there was much more solitude that way.

I will be coming back again!

Went up and down the red trail to the summit, was about 5.5 miles and took 2.5 hours. Wish I would have come down the blue trail instead after reading the reviews, it sounds like it is more scenic than the red trail and a bit easier. Views from the ledge before the summit were beautiful

Did this hike 8/13/17 with our dog. We took the challenging route from the parking area up the red trail, and came down the west side along the blue trail. If you want the challenging red trail route, like we did, best to go up that way and come down on the blue trail. We are in our fifties and did just fine, as did our Siberian Husky. However, I do not suggest coming down the red trail like some of the hiking books suggest. Took us 1;30 to get up top. A good workout for sure on the red trail.

Beautiful view at the top. Blue trail hiking up is very peaceful.

Best of hiked early in the day. Try to be done by 11 am when the trail gets congested. Early morning was nice and the only hikers we ran into were the thru-hikers.

No view at top. nice view near top. still beats looking at my coworkers.

Took a backpacking trip with a old friend and decided we needed a bit of a challenge. And so we were challenged with 14 miles of beautiful scenery and hiking. The weather was fair with it snowing the night before on the mountain top. Lots of iced over summits and rocks to climb. We did the full loop hitting 2 of the summits in the first day then hitting up slide mt on the second and continuing the loop back to Woodland Valley Campground. If you are planning to park at the campground keep in mind the bridge is currently out so you will need to drive into Phoenicia and use the back street to cross the river to get to the site. Lots of rocks, did I say lots? Be ready to climb and take big steps, definitely recommend a good pair of hiking boots or shoes. IF you do this in the winter bring snow shoes and ice steppers since it gets very slick. Cornel Crack was iced over, thankfully someone left a rope tied to assist in climbing up it. I recommend to do this only if you are in good shape, and if you want to do just a day hike start from the west end of the loop or do only the yellow trails since they are not as intense. I will for sure be doing this trail again in the future, just not in the winter spring months without proper gear but it is achievable if you have the motivation to do it.

My husband and I are in our 50's and just revisited hiking. We were tired but did complete the hike with smiles. Ice and snow the last mile or so to summit, coming down a bit hard, but we have limited experience. Nice views, worth the 4.5 hour effort.

Did this hike in mid-April and all in all it was a fun hike. There is a steady ascent right from the get-go and the trail is easy to follow. The final 3/4 of a mile or so was a solid layer of snow/ice. Although it gets a little slick in spots, I was able to do it in hiking boots with no issues. Took my dog and was a great trek for her as well (lots of streams to splash around in early on). There are some nice look out points towards the summit but the peak itself has a decent amount of tree cover.

Would highly suggest this hike for most!

Great trail, took me almost 5 h, going at a very leisurely pace. There is still snow but I've been fine just with boots and no special equipment. Beautiful scenery, definitely worth it.

Of all the 4000 foot mountains I've hiked this was definitely the easiest . We went in mid January on a very sunny day the temperature was in the low thirties. the trail is quite icey but never gets too steep, we reached the top in about two hours . Although the view is somewhat limited and the summit is heavily wooded a small cliff about a quarter mile from the top revealed some incredible views of the rest of the Catskills . This is a must for any skill level

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Took me to a whole new level!