Slide Mountain Trail

Slide Mountain Trail is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Big Indian, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A short jog up a 4,000 foot peak in the Catskills and another on your NE 111er list. This is a very easy climb up Slide Mountain in the Catskills. Like other summits in the Catskills the top is wooded but there is an overlook near the top that offers great views over the surrounding hills. You'll also pass through very distinct forest stands on the way to the top.

I'm not sure where to start, but a very poor hike. After 2 wonderful hikes in the Catskills (Devils Path, Hunter Mountain), we came upon this. I can't think of one good thing to say about this trail, other than the fact people hike it just to say they've reached the highest peak in the Catskills. After hiking up a rock bed with a creek flowing through it, we reached the summit. There were zero good viewpoints on the way up. When we finally made the top it was overgrown and we could barely see anything. The bedrock trail was also poorly marked and very confusing. There are a dozen or more better hikes in the Catskills! Don't waste your time.

There are such better hikes in the Catskills. It’s long, crowded and the view as nothing special. How it is so popular is beyond be.

Loved this hike!!! Did it with my 4 children ages 5,7,12 and 15. Alot of traffic of other hikers but the end is soo worth it!

Went on a late spring day. Nats were crazy. Definitely recommend a bug net or waiting till mid summer before hiking if you dont like bugs in your face. Other than that, it was a very easy hike straight up. Gradual climb the whole way. A handful of views from the top. Took the blue loop on the way down. Nice walk through varying types of forest that change like night and day. Lots of birding you can do as well. Crosses several little creeks on the way down. Very nice hike for any beginner and leisurely walk. Distance isnt hard at all. Took maybe 3.5 - 4 hours total.

Overall, this was a great moderate hike! We only traveled to the first peak because the full loop was longer than we expected (approx. 12 miles). There were a few trees that obstructed the view from the top, but close to the peak there were two amazing overlooks. If you decide to do this hike in the spring/summer - remember to bring plenty of bug spray!!

This is a very challenging and long hike and very worth it!

To get to the trail you have to cross a stream and idk if it varies on days of water height I would assume it does but just be prepared to get your feet wet. After that it's a rocky trail up. Trekking poles or sticks would be nice with this trail. There is no summit. There are a few look out points. Overall it was a nice hike.

Steep hike can be challenging at points. Definitely a staple hike in the Catskills, great views toward and on the summit. Go when it's been dry for a couple days.

did an over night trip from clarryville side , amazing trip for me ..it was wary season a lot of blowdowns and a rocky hike still lots of snow about half way up ..good for the soul ..watch your weight of your pack lol

Still lots of ice at the top. The pine trees around the summit are still covered in ice and snow. Some nice views but didn’t find anything mind blowing.

Wow! Words can't describe how fulfilling this hike was. I've hiked it one time since moving to New York and I've since had a longing to go back! When I went it was in July of 2017 and a clear day which made the hike so much more fulfilling. It's a pretty straight-forward hike up to the summit and back down to the parking lot. If you plan to do a day hike anywhere in the Catskills I recommend this trail. The hike up is cooled down by the trees that provide shade which is very relaxing. One of the best words to describe the view is "rolling blue hills". Anyone who has been up Slide Mt or has seen pictures will know how majestic it is and how "rolling blue hills" fits it. Sometime in the future I want to do an over night camp, also in a week or two I hope to get up there to see if there are any remnants of winter. I've read that the snow is packed down so no need for snowshoes unless you're going during a snowstorm or the day after. I actually really want to hike this trail during a snowstorm just to really test my limits and make myself uncomfortable.

This route as depicted does not exist. You can make a loop by either bushwhacking along the “route” here or by following a different loop that takes you north after Cornel.

As far as this trail goes I wish I could give it 0. It doesn’t exist.

The best hike that I have ever completed

Hiked on 3/17 - temp 25 deg

Packed snow on the main trail, no snow shoes needed (although everyone was using them). We didn't even use spikes on the way up.

At least 2-4 feet of snow on the ground. Very minimal post holing.

It was magical on top, all the trees had lot of snow and they just looked majestic.

We were going to go to Cornell but there was no visible trail and it was just too deep even for snow shoes.

On the way down we took longer Curtis Ormsbee trail. You will need snowshoes on this side as it's not as well traveled. Much nicer trail than the Witt/Cornell Trail for sure.

View on top is obstructed and limited but still ok on the ledge/end part.

Absolutely stunning. A picture perfect day. Trail is broken in despite several feet of snow. I used my poles and micro spikes and didn’t have any problems slipping/sliding. Can’t wait to go back!

Hiked on 1/28.

The snow around the trail melted, but the trail itself was pure ice because of all the snow pack on the heavily used route. Microspikes recommended, otherwise easy hike

Incredibly icy, the recent rainstorm made everything freeze over and the beginning of the trail was flooded, had to cross on a fallen tree. Trail was fantastically well-marked, which came in handy when we ran out of daylight and needed to use a flashlight on the last half mile. Fantastic area, though the summit isn't above the tree line, so the view isn't as great as an alpine summit.

Hiked today 12/20/17 in the snow,very steep climb feels like it never ends,saw a black bear on the way down

An enjoyable hike. The red trail is kinda steep, but very manageable. The blue trails is an easy why down for the most part. You can get a pretty good view of the Catskill divide close to the top.

Climbing slide from the Slide MTN parking area is long, boring, and very rocky. The best way to climb Slide MTN is from the other side coming from Cornell MTN, it has great scrambles and a much better hike. Plan 2 days (I've done it 1 day but it's a killer), start in Woodland Valley parking area and follow the red trail up Wittenberg all the way to Slide MTN.

I think everyone is reviewing different trails. The Map included here involves a multi-peak bushwhack that connects Cornel Mt. to the Peakamoose Trail. From Cornel there is no clear trail on the map or evident in person. I did not do that trail. I followed the loop most people are discussing that follows the red blazed trail that hits slide, Cornel, and Wittenberg, and comes back past the spur for Giant Ledge. Is there a moderator that can address what trail this is supposed to be?

I did the red trail only, out and back. The best view is before you reach the summit. Just like the other previous hikers said there's not much into it.

This is not a very difficult hike, but the climb is steep and very wet in some areas. There really isn't a "summit" and the nice views are only in one spot, but the forest is dense and gorgeous. Our dog loved it and it was a nice workout for us.

Steady rocky slog to the top. Nice views on the left prior to summit.

Since there are two paths I took both, blue trail up and red down. The way up was very nice, some steep parts but nothing too bad, very scenic and there is two nice views you can get on that trail. The summit marker is gone now, you can barely see off the summit but before you get there the views are breathtaking. The red trail down was lame, it's steep, it's not scenic, it's not fun. It's just bland and lame. I'd forgo it altogether.

Took the red trail up, long and ass kicking as the whole trail was wet and rocky and muddy in many sections, causing a need to be extra careful. It's a pretty trail, smelling like Christmas at one point with all the pine trees, but not for novice hikers. VERY disappointed in the lack of views but I knew this going in.

Took the blue trail down, which added a mile to the full length of our hike, but agree that it's easier then going back down the red. There is one spot on the blue that has a halfway decent view and there are some rock scrambles down but definitely the better trail to descend.

Honestly, glad I did it but I won't be going back. Just not worth the effort more than once. Every person who reached the summit said "that's it?" because there is nothing to see. It's entirely blocked by enormous pine trees. The only views are just before the summit and they're all obstructed.

we saw a bear on the way down. we stuck to the red trail up and down. we didn't start the hike until 230p, and were back to the car by 6p

A solid hike up, pretty rocky the whole way. Views are decent along the way, but not as good at top. If you are doing the up and down same day hike, I highly recommend taking the blue trail back down. It is much easy, as there are less loose rocks. Plus, there are really nice views, and a wonderful dark pine forest. Plus, there was much more solitude that way.

I will be coming back again!

Went up and down the red trail to the summit, was about 5.5 miles and took 2.5 hours. Wish I would have come down the blue trail instead after reading the reviews, it sounds like it is more scenic than the red trail and a bit easier. Views from the ledge before the summit were beautiful

Did this hike 8/13/17 with our dog. We took the challenging route from the parking area up the red trail, and came down the west side along the blue trail. If you want the challenging red trail route, like we did, best to go up that way and come down on the blue trail. We are in our fifties and did just fine, as did our Siberian Husky. However, I do not suggest coming down the red trail like some of the hiking books suggest. Took us 1;30 to get up top. A good workout for sure on the red trail.