Slide Mountain Trail

Slide Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Big Indian, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A short jog up a 4,000 foot peak in the Catskills and another on your NE 111er list. This is a very easy climb up Slide Mountain in the Catskills. Like other summits in the Catskills the top is wooded but there is an overlook near the top that offers great views over the surrounding hills. You'll also pass through very distinct forest stands on the way to the top.

This is not a very difficult hike, but the climb is steep and very wet in some areas. There really isn't a "summit" and the nice views are only in one spot, but the forest is dense and gorgeous. Our dog loved it and it was a nice workout for us.

Steady rocky slog to the top. Nice views on the left prior to summit.

Since there are two paths I took both, blue trail up and red down. The way up was very nice, some steep parts but nothing too bad, very scenic and there is two nice views you can get on that trail. The summit marker is gone now, you can barely see off the summit but before you get there the views are breathtaking. The red trail down was lame, it's steep, it's not scenic, it's not fun. It's just bland and lame. I'd forgo it altogether.

Took the red trail up, long and ass kicking as the whole trail was wet and rocky and muddy in many sections, causing a need to be extra careful. It's a pretty trail, smelling like Christmas at one point with all the pine trees, but not for novice hikers. VERY disappointed in the lack of views but I knew this going in.

Took the blue trail down, which added a mile to the full length of our hike, but agree that it's easier then going back down the red. There is one spot on the blue that has a halfway decent view and there are some rock scrambles down but definitely the better trail to descend.

Honestly, glad I did it but I won't be going back. Just not worth the effort more than once. Every person who reached the summit said "that's it?" because there is nothing to see. It's entirely blocked by enormous pine trees. The only views are just before the summit and they're all obstructed.

we saw a bear on the way down. we stuck to the red trail up and down. we didn't start the hike until 230p, and were back to the car by 6p

A solid hike up, pretty rocky the whole way. Views are decent along the way, but not as good at top. If you are doing the up and down same day hike, I highly recommend taking the blue trail back down. It is much easy, as there are less loose rocks. Plus, there are really nice views, and a wonderful dark pine forest. Plus, there was much more solitude that way.

I will be coming back again!

Went up and down the red trail to the summit, was about 5.5 miles and took 2.5 hours. Wish I would have come down the blue trail instead after reading the reviews, it sounds like it is more scenic than the red trail and a bit easier. Views from the ledge before the summit were beautiful

Did this hike 8/13/17 with our dog. We took the challenging route from the parking area up the red trail, and came down the west side along the blue trail. If you want the challenging red trail route, like we did, best to go up that way and come down on the blue trail. We are in our fifties and did just fine, as did our Siberian Husky. However, I do not suggest coming down the red trail like some of the hiking books suggest. Took us 1;30 to get up top. A good workout for sure on the red trail.