Slide Mountain Trail

Slide Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Big Indian, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A short jog up a 4,000 foot peak in the Catskills and another on your NE 111er list. This is a very easy climb up Slide Mountain in the Catskills. Like other summits in the Catskills the top is wooded but there is an overlook near the top that offers great views over the surrounding hills. You'll also pass through very distinct forest stands on the way to the top (look at the mountain in satellite view to see what I mean). I did this easily in an afternoon and had great views from near the top at sunset.

2.5 feet of snow. Snowshoes all the way. 3/17/17. Other reviews say it's pretty easy. I thought it was tough with the snowshoes because the snow wasn't too packed and I sank in about a foot with almost every step. I had some difficulty but it was great. Nice views at the summit. Typical Catskill wooded summit but you can peak through the pines in some spots and see the entire range from its highest point.

Great trail, took me almost 5 h, going at a very leisurely pace. There is still snow but I've been fine just with boots and no special equipment. Beautiful scenery, definitely worth it.

Of all the 4000 foot mountains I've hiked this was definitely the easiest . We went in mid January on a very sunny day the temperature was in the low thirties. the trail is quite icey but never gets too steep, we reached the top in about two hours . Although the view is somewhat limited and the summit is heavily wooded a small cliff about a quarter mile from the top revealed some incredible views of the rest of the Catskills . This is a must for any skill level

Took me to a whole new level!

Great hike. Limited but great views and nice terrain changes. Love hiking in NY!

Limited to no view at the summit but there are a few spots to get a view on your way up

This hike by itself, without continuing to Cornell and Wittenberg, is a great, steady exercise but is quite boring, lacking great exposed views (there are some, but not the best, before the summit) or water features.
Note that the two viewpoints facing south, one on Curtis-Ormsbee trail and one past Slide Mt summit, which are marked with dots on the map here, are apparently quite easy to miss, as we did (we were generally on the lookout for them, but not closely tracking ourselves by the map.)
The trail is very easy, there are NO rock scrambles to the summit (some right past it.)

Did a much longer overnight loop that included a shootout to giants ledge and Panther Mountain. Then back to hike a loop encompassing Cornell, Whitenberg, and Slide mountains finishing back at the campground we parked at ($). Good loop ~20mi w/ extra leg for Panther Mtn.

Good hike. Did it with my 9 year old in about 2 hours. Views are not great because of trees but a small lookout before the summit is actually best.