Slide Mountain Trail

Slide Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Big Indian, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A short jog up a 4,000 foot peak in the Catskills and another on your NE 111er list. This is a very easy climb up Slide Mountain in the Catskills. Like other summits in the Catskills the top is wooded but there is an overlook near the top that offers great views over the surrounding hills. You'll also pass through very distinct forest stands on the way to the top.

Best of hiked early in the day. Try to be done by 11 am when the trail gets congested. Early morning was nice and the only hikers we ran into were the thru-hikers.

No view at top. nice view near top. still beats looking at my coworkers.

Took a backpacking trip with a old friend and decided we needed a bit of a challenge. And so we were challenged with 14 miles of beautiful scenery and hiking. The weather was fair with it snowing the night before on the mountain top. Lots of iced over summits and rocks to climb. We did the full loop hitting 2 of the summits in the first day then hitting up slide mt on the second and continuing the loop back to Woodland Valley Campground. If you are planning to park at the campground keep in mind the bridge is currently out so you will need to drive into Phoenicia and use the back street to cross the river to get to the site. Lots of rocks, did I say lots? Be ready to climb and take big steps, definitely recommend a good pair of hiking boots or shoes. IF you do this in the winter bring snow shoes and ice steppers since it gets very slick. Cornel Crack was iced over, thankfully someone left a rope tied to assist in climbing up it. I recommend to do this only if you are in good shape, and if you want to do just a day hike start from the west end of the loop or do only the yellow trails since they are not as intense. I will for sure be doing this trail again in the future, just not in the winter spring months without proper gear but it is achievable if you have the motivation to do it.

My husband and I are in our 50's and just revisited hiking. We were tired but did complete the hike with smiles. Ice and snow the last mile or so to summit, coming down a bit hard, but we have limited experience. Nice views, worth the 4.5 hour effort.

Did this hike in mid-April and all in all it was a fun hike. There is a steady ascent right from the get-go and the trail is easy to follow. The final 3/4 of a mile or so was a solid layer of snow/ice. Although it gets a little slick in spots, I was able to do it in hiking boots with no issues. Took my dog and was a great trek for her as well (lots of streams to splash around in early on). There are some nice look out points towards the summit but the peak itself has a decent amount of tree cover.

Would highly suggest this hike for most!

2.5 feet of snow. Snowshoes all the way. 3/17/17. Other reviews say it's pretty easy. I thought it was tough even with the snowshoes because the snow wasn't too packed and I post holed in about a foot with almost every step (sorry). I had some difficulty but it was great. Nice views at the summit. Typical Catskill wooded summit but you can peak through the pines in some spots and see the entire range from its highest point.

Great trail, took me almost 5 h, going at a very leisurely pace. There is still snow but I've been fine just with boots and no special equipment. Beautiful scenery, definitely worth it.