Slide Mountain Trail

Slide Mountain Trail is a 6.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Big Indian, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A short jog up a 4,000 foot peak in the Catskills and another on your NE 111er list. This is a very easy climb up Slide Mountain in the Catskills. Like other summits in the Catskills the top is wooded but there is an overlook near the top that offers great views over the surrounding hills. You'll also pass through very distinct forest stands on the way to the top.

very nice trail. I love it!

My friend and I didn’t really plan the hike to well we just knew we wanted to find a good hike and solid camp. We started parked at woodlands and was told to just go up the trail in the parking lot. 2pm we hit the trail thinking we were going towardsWittenberg but we ended up doing a different trail towards panther. We ended up going towards slide at the crossroads for the parking Lot for Panther, panther mountain and slide. Was a pretty cool trail until it turned us onto a road. Thank god other travelers were going the opposite direction directing us a mile down the road to slide mountain. Saw some awesome but limited views. We got below 3500ft and set up camp and cooked right about 6pm. Next morning we made our coffee and breakfast hit the trail and saw the best views at Cornell and Wittenberg. We started at 730 and finished both peaks and back to woodlands parking lot at 10. Overall hike was well marked and happy we did the way we went because going the opposite way you have to climb a lot more and is a little tough with a pack.

Being the highest peak in the Catskills I anticipated more of a grueling hike up but that was not the case. Typical Catskill hike...rocks everywhere on the trail and a limited view from the peak. There are a couple viewing spots off the trail up that offer nice views of the rest of the Burroughs Range.

This was a nice day on the trail but a little disappointing when hitting the summit as there were limited views. Prior to the summit off to left there was a limited view. On top we met a park ranger who suggested recommended going to Cornell Mtn and then on to Wittenberg. He said that this was an easier way to get to Wittenberg. We didn't have the time that day but plan to do just that On the way back down we met several people with back packs planning to camp near the summit.

very much a disappointment . 4.5 hours round trip and was hoping for breathtaking views. all you can see from the top is big pine trees. what a waste . been on much better hikes than this that offered so much beauty . just before you get to the top you can see a little of the mountain ridges across but mostly obstructed

I hiked this yesterday. Lots of wet stream-like areas and fist sized rocks on the way up. Trail gets sandy/ gravelly with some pretty views above the 3500 feet marker. You know you are almost to the summit when you see the blue trail leading off to the right, then the concrete block remnants of a fire tower, then a stone wall foundation THEN the rocky outcropping summit. around the front of the rock is a plaque commemorating John Burroughs. I took the blue trail down...not as pretty but there are 2 cool rock formations (one with a view) and one with pretty dripping moss and mini caves. All together (including my stay on top) 4 hours.

Really liked this trail. Started early and the overlook was great near the top. Started early, it does get busy later many hikers. Was a little rocky going up but nothing really challenging, just steady.

I think I know why its called slide Moutain. lol

If you take the foot path from Woodland Valley Campground during a rainy season, the overgrowth will not allow you any good views. There’s a ton of vegetation and trees blocking currently. Hiked this yesterday and didn’t come to any clear summit views for 3.5 hours so we turned around. You also have to hike through an intense amount of water. I wouldn’t recommend doing during a rainy summer.

Rocky climb up. You will go through several distinct forest types and temperatures on the way up and back. It has some good views before the summit and on Burrows Rock. Great hike not too hard. Go to the left on the way up and the other on the way down. Get here early

Rockier then I thought

Very rocky beautiful views and amazing temperature change at the summit definitely worth the hike up

Great mountain, but it was not easy to get great views. We did an up and back during the winter months. Check out my full write up which has pictures and some things to look out for.

For the most part this trail is a pretty simple trail, after you get over all the rocks ( a lot more than expected). Then after you hit top elevation (4190) and continue down the mountain your skills really get tested. Overall this mountain is truly amazing and all the work to get to the top really pays off with the view. I would definitely recommend this trail to everyone!

Save this hike for the fall foliage as it’s one of the best foliage hikes in the Catskills. Pretty steep ascent with use of your hands needed towards the end

I'm not sure where to start, but a very poor hike. After 2 wonderful hikes in the Catskills (Devils Path, Hunter Mountain), we came upon this. I can't think of one good thing to say about this trail, other than the fact people hike it just to say they've reached the highest peak in the Catskills. After hiking up a rock bed with a creek flowing through it, we reached the summit. There were zero good viewpoints on the way up. When we finally made the top it was overgrown and we could barely see anything. The bedrock trail was also poorly marked and very confusing. There are a dozen or more better hikes in the Catskills! Don't waste your time.

There are such better hikes in the Catskills. It’s long, crowded and the view as nothing special. How it is so popular is beyond be.

Loved this hike!!! Did it with my 4 children ages 5,7,12 and 15. Alot of traffic of other hikers but the end is soo worth it!

Went on a late spring day. Nats were crazy. Definitely recommend a bug net or waiting till mid summer before hiking if you dont like bugs in your face. Other than that, it was a very easy hike straight up. Gradual climb the whole way. A handful of views from the top. Took the blue loop on the way down. Nice walk through varying types of forest that change like night and day. Lots of birding you can do as well. Crosses several little creeks on the way down. Very nice hike for any beginner and leisurely walk. Distance isnt hard at all. Took maybe 3.5 - 4 hours total.

Overall, this was a great moderate hike! We only traveled to the first peak because the full loop was longer than we expected (approx. 12 miles). There were a few trees that obstructed the view from the top, but close to the peak there were two amazing overlooks. If you decide to do this hike in the spring/summer - remember to bring plenty of bug spray!!

This is a very challenging and long hike and very worth it!

To get to the trail you have to cross a stream and idk if it varies on days of water height I would assume it does but just be prepared to get your feet wet. After that it's a rocky trail up. Trekking poles or sticks would be nice with this trail. There is no summit. There are a few look out points. Overall it was a nice hike.

Steep hike can be challenging at points. Definitely a staple hike in the Catskills, great views toward and on the summit. Go when it's been dry for a couple days.

did an over night trip from clarryville side , amazing trip for me ..it was wary season a lot of blowdowns and a rocky hike still lots of snow about half way up ..good for the soul ..watch your weight of your pack lol

Still lots of ice at the top. The pine trees around the summit are still covered in ice and snow. Some nice views but didn’t find anything mind blowing.

Wow! Words can't describe how fulfilling this hike was. I've hiked it one time since moving to New York and I've since had a longing to go back! When I went it was in July of 2017 and a clear day which made the hike so much more fulfilling. It's a pretty straight-forward hike up to the summit and back down to the parking lot. If you plan to do a day hike anywhere in the Catskills I recommend this trail. The hike up is cooled down by the trees that provide shade which is very relaxing. One of the best words to describe the view is "rolling blue hills". Anyone who has been up Slide Mt or has seen pictures will know how majestic it is and how "rolling blue hills" fits it. Sometime in the future I want to do an over night camp, also in a week or two I hope to get up there to see if there are any remnants of winter. I've read that the snow is packed down so no need for snowshoes unless you're going during a snowstorm or the day after. I actually really want to hike this trail during a snowstorm just to really test my limits and make myself uncomfortable.

This route as depicted does not exist. You can make a loop by either bushwhacking along the “route” here or by following a different loop that takes you north after Cornel.

As far as this trail goes I wish I could give it 0. It doesn’t exist.

The best hike that I have ever completed

Hiked on 3/17 - temp 25 deg

Packed snow on the main trail, no snow shoes needed (although everyone was using them). We didn't even use spikes on the way up.

At least 2-4 feet of snow on the ground. Very minimal post holing.

It was magical on top, all the trees had lot of snow and they just looked majestic.

We were going to go to Cornell but there was no visible trail and it was just too deep even for snow shoes.

On the way down we took longer Curtis Ormsbee trail. You will need snowshoes on this side as it's not as well traveled. Much nicer trail than the Witt/Cornell Trail for sure.

View on top is obstructed and limited but still ok on the ledge/end part.

Absolutely stunning. A picture perfect day. Trail is broken in despite several feet of snow. I used my poles and micro spikes and didn’t have any problems slipping/sliding. Can’t wait to go back!