Learn more

Sleeping Beauty Mountain and Lake George Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(750)
Lake George Wild Forest

Sleeping Beauty Mountain and Lake George Trail is a 6.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Fort Ann, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,305 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail has many switchbacks to keep the steepness moderate. Good views of Lake George and the southeastern Adirondacks. 6.4 mile loop hike from Hogs Town parking lot. 4.8 mile loop hike from the Dacy Clearing parking lot. The length of the hike to Sleeping Beauty depends on if the woods road from the trailhead parking lot to Dacy Clearing is open ( and you are willing to drive it) or not. If you can drive to Dacy Clearing the hike is a moderate 1.8 miles, each way, to the favored lookout and another 0.4 or so miles to the actual summit. If the woods road is closed, or you don't want to drive it, add 1.6 miles each way of easy road walk to your trip. The trail from Dacy Clearing to the cutoff to Sleeping Beauty is a broad tote road. The trail beyond that point is a delight with actual switch backs, walking below and around cliffs that you will be looking out from near the summit. The views are expansive and include Crane Mountain to the west and Pico and Killington to the east, as well as Lake George. The cliffs face east, south, and west, so you can enjoy your day in the sun. From here, you can choose to backtrack and make it an out-and-back hike for 4.4 total miles from Dacy Clearing (7.6 miles if from Hog Town parking area). Alternately, you can head back to a marker in an earlier section of the trail and bear left to descend another series of switchbacks before reach Bumps Pond. Continue following the trail around the pond. The trail descends again, passing several lookouts before you complete the loop. Return the same route to Dacy Clearing and finally the parking area.

We started at Dacy Clearing and it was a great day for a hike. My boyfriend and I are beginners and we brought our 4 year old lab and she loved it. The summit is beautiful as well.

good hike....went to summit with family (2 adults, 12, 10, 8, 4, and 2 year old).

I met a very interesting person Lori. If she see this. Please contact me.

One of our favorite summits in the area. Not too difficult as there are a nice mix of steeper climbs with flat sections. No bugs at all today but it was pretty dry. Tip....many don’t know you can drive down to the actual trailhead “dacy trailhead.” It’s saves you a 1.5 mile walk just to get to the trailhead. Good to know if you are with kids!

We hiked today starting at 10:30 am. Not too crowded, but we did run into several small groups. The bugs were out in force. We are beginner hikers and we thought this was a good trail for newbies.

Did this solo with the pup and it was a very pleasant and easy hike. The summit views were beautiful. I arrived 1230 on a Monday, a few spots were left in the Dacy Clearing parking lot. It was a bit confusing initially on how to get to Dacy. When you get to Hogstown parking lot, if you continue into the parking lot straight, you will see a one car narrow road. That will lead you to the Dacy Clearing lot. Some muddy spots but not bad. Bugs were out but weren’t horrible.

Overall a great hike. I recommend driving down to the second parking lot to cut the mile 1/2 of road walking out of the hike. Also, get there early as it is an extremely popular trail.

Beautiful view at the top. Rocky hike and steep at times. But overall great. Drove to the second parking lot on a narrow road (totally fine just go slow) to start the hike which made it a total of 4 miles.

Really beautiful views! Hiked it this morning with my husband, our 2 kids (5 and 8), our friend and her 2 kids (4 and 7). It was a little rocky and muddy at spots, but the kids did well and that view is so worth it. Road to Dacy clearing was open, that was the only reason we could do this hike. The 3.6 miles round trip from there was enough for the kids. The 4 year old had to be carried about 10 minutes. So worth it.

Hiked this in addition to Erebus. Sleeping Beauty has a fantastic view. Going up the less popular ascent was easier and had far fewer hikers to contend with.

I hiked this along with Mt. Erebus this morning (Wednesday). Started just after 6am and was the only car in the lot. Yes, Dacy Clearing Rd is open and you can park at the trailhead rather than 1.5 miles away. Sleeping Beauty was a quick and easy hike, and I had breakfast at the summit, which I had all to myself. I enjoyed the trail over to Bumps Pond (see my review of Erebus on AllTrails if you're interested in how that part went). Eventually back at Bumps Pond, I went the back way down Sleeping Beauty and was back to my car after logging 9.05 miles, 4,747 feet of elevation gain, and 5.25 hours on the trail. A sucker for punishment and also epic lake views, I went over to Buck to finish out my day.

Pretty easy hike for the spectacular view you get from the lookout. Parked at Marcy Clearing lot. No problem getting a spot at 10:30 on a Monday morning. Did the loop around Bump Pond. A little mud here and there but nothing terrible and the bugs were surprisingly at bay.

The road to the Dacy clearing parking lot was open today.

awesome hike. I recommend starting at dacy clearing if you can, also continue on past the overlook to bumps pond loop for some nice scenery. We completed this with 2 adults and 2 kids 7 and 9 as well as our dog! Great day hike. there is spots for camping as well.

Easy/moderate- rocks can be tricky or slippery, watch your footing in spots. Easy to follow trail. View from the overlook is great- view from the summit- not so great, but a nice loop back for a change of scenery and view of the pond.

Completed this morning with my husband. Arrived at 8:15AM and the lot at the base of the trail (the so called “second lot”) was nearly full. Should have arrived earlier. We passed a handful of people on the way up, and there were about a dozen or so people at the summit. The view is gorgeous. Muddy, much of the hike has you hiking up a small stream.

Really nice hike! Views are gorgeous (much better than pictures can show) - lots of rocks and then roots on path but took us 3 hrs total from further parking lot (hogs lot) with 30 minutes spent exploring the top! Would def recommend, but lots fill early so plan ahead