Sleeping Beauty Mountain and Lake George Trail

Sleeping Beauty Mountain and Lake George Trail is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fort Ann, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This trail has many switchbacks to keep the steepness moderate. Good views of Lake George and the southeastern Adirondacks. 6.4 mile loop hike from Hogs Town parking lot. 4.8 mile loop hike from the Dacy Clearing parking lot. The length of the hike to Sleeping Beauty depends on if the woods road from the trailhead parking lot to Dacy Clearing is open ( and you are willing to drive it) or not. If you can drive to Dacy Clearing the hike is a moderate 1.8 miles, each way, to the favored lookout and another 0.4 or so miles to the actual summit. If the woods road is closed, or you don't want to drive it, add 1.6 miles each way of easy road walk to your trip. The trail from Dacy Clearing to the cutoff to Sleeping Beauty is a broad tote road. The trail beyond that point is a delight with actual switch backs, walking below and around cliffs that you will be looking out from near the summit. The views are expansive and include Crane Mountain to the west and Pico and Killington to the east, as well as Lake George. The cliffs face east, south, and west, so you can enjoy your day in the sun. From here, you can choose to backtrack and make it an out-and-back hike for 4.4 total miles from Dacy Clearing (7.6 miles if from Hog Town parking area). Alternately, you can head back to a marker in an earlier section of the trail and bear left to descend another series of switchbacks before reach Bumps Pond. Continue following the trail around the pond. The trail descends again, passing several lookouts before you complete the loop. Return the same route to Dacy Clearing and finally the parking area.

Great views, nicely paced hike. Gets a bit muddy in spots but nothing to worry about. Will take about an hour, 75 minutes-ish to get to the main viewpoint from the second car park, and don't worry about the road, just take it slow.

Did this hike last weekend, it was moderate to easy I would say. View was amazing, enough space at the top for lots of people to sit peacefully while enjoying the view.

I have been coming to Sleeping Beauty mountain and dacy clearing for over 38 years. I guess I just gave away the fact that I'm an old guy. LOL
anyway, this is a wonderful place to Camp, hunt, fish, or hike

Great Hike & Great Reward for a very short distance too! Love it!

Awesome hike today! A little muddy!

The view was amazing! It was definitely worth the hike, it was a pretty muddy trail since it rained the night before we hiked and it was a very rocky trail. This was definitely a moderate hike for me, but thats because we parked at hogtown parking or whatever the first parking lot was, I recommend just parking at the second one. The gravel road is very narrow and people have to move out of the way for you and I’m not even quite sure what you do when another car is coming the opposite direction, but obviously it can be done because people do it I just never saw it. So definitely recommend parking at the second parking lot because it would’ve made the hike shorter and easier from the peak to the first parking lot it would be 3.3miles compared to the second one which would make it 1.8miles. The first 1.5 from the first parking lot is literally just the narrow gravel road that the cars drive on and the trail doesn’t start until after the second parking lot.

Beautiful hike with a great view at the end. Trail is well marked and very dog friendly (lost count after 10). Road in is a little treacherous (passing cars is tight) if you go all the way to the Dacy lot but if you feel like walking the additional just park at Hogtown.

Loved this trail! On the way back down if you take the left to Bumps pond you get a nice view of the water and then continue to make a full circle back down to Dacy’s landing. A bit rocky, but we made the entire hike that was about 6 miles or so!

Hiked on 5/11/18 and trail is awesome. Road is open now and you can drive all the way back to Dacy Clearing which makes this hike so much shorter, 1.8 miles one way to be exact. Muddy in some spots but overall a great hike.

I've done Sleeping Beauty multiple times but never in the winter. Went this weekend (2/18) and it was great. Snow on the trail was packed down enough to navigate, definitely needed microspikes and I was also glad I had my poles with me as well.

First hike by myself- screwed up and somehow went to fishbrook Pond- was amazing!!! Will definitely do this again. Hopefully be able to see all the ponds- this area has quite a bit to do as far as trails, hiked views, camping, etc. pretty sweet

I thought this trail was absolutely perfect for a beginner like me whose never been hiking before. The weather also cooperated the entire day for mid-October. If you want to read more of my Sleeping Beauty experience check out my blog post! :) http://www.ashleyinaugust.com/2017/12/sleeping-beauty-my-first-hiking.html

Amazing views!

Finally was able to complete this hike ! 2 weeks ago the sleet and rain took us out!

The last .8 was pretty icy but didn’t need spikes although we had them just in case !

Not a bigger hike

Plenty of things to see

The drive down to pick up the trail wasn’t packed

The wind was really heavy at the top , cover your face !

Warm clothes is a must ! It was 33 out and the top was around 25!

Over all great hike and would do it again !

Lovely walk with great views at the summit.

My dog Jake and I did a very quick hike up and down because we started out late. Trail is getting icy towards the top. As always the views are beautiful. I hike this once or twice a year.

Beautiful view at the top and some on the way up. No problem getting to the Dacy parking lot. The trail is icing up now which has made some of the trail tricky. Much of the trail is rocky but definitely manageable. The view is amazing and bumps pond beautiful.

Beautiful view, very easy for a moderate trail, family friendly. We drove in and parked at the 2 nd lot, we were done early enough to do bucks mountain the same day, now that’s a moderate trail

This was beautiful! Make sure to check out the Chimney by Bumps Pond, it was really neat!

Definitely hard with a small child in a carrier. Rough terrain. Amazing hike

Good hike! Not too difficult and amazing views at the summit. I would do this again.

Did this as a sunset hike, breathtaking

Nice and easy trail with a great summit! A few steep switchbacks and plenty of wet/muddy spots. Incredible views set back from Lake George.

Great hike with an amazing view.

It was breathtaking at the top. Went in late spring and am heading back tomorrow !!

Love this hike. On a clear day the summit has some beautiful views.

Really easy hike

Very nice

Went straight up to the summit of the mountain and then back down around the pond. Recommend that loop by far!

I first hiked Sleeping Beauty some years ago, and forgot about the road from the trailhead parking to Dacy clearing. It's a relatively pretty walk, but it's exactly that - a walk on a road for 1.6 miles. I can't recommend highly enough driving to Dacy Clearing rather than starting at the trailhead parking lot. If you want to add a couple of similarly easy miles after summiting from Dacy, drive a couple of miles further on the access road and walk Shelving Rock trail.

The walk to the summit is pleasant, but if it's "moderate", it's on the very, very low end of moderate. If you're looking for good exercise, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a nice hike for kids, pets and novice hikers, this is a good one.

The view at the top is quite pretty, with Lake George and the Adirondacks to the west and the Green Mountains of Vermont to the east. The walk around Bump's pond is a nice extension to the hike. The trail is very well marked, and very well worn. I'm an early hiker (went up before dawn to catch the sunrise), so I didn't see a lot of others, but given the capacity of the parking lots I can imagine that it gets pretty busy on nice weekends and holidays.

Enjoy!!