Sleeping Beauty Mountain and Lake George Trail

Sleeping Beauty Mountain and Lake George Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fort Ann, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This trail has many switchbacks to keep the steepness moderate. Good views of Lake George and the southeastern Adirondacks. 6.4 mile loop hike from Hogs Town parking lot. 4.8 mile loop hike from the Dacy Clearing parking lot. The length of the hike to Sleeping Beauty depends on if the woods road from the trailhead parking lot to Dacy Clearing is open ( and you are willing to drive it) or not. If you can drive to Dacy Clearing the hike is a moderate 1.8 miles, each way, to the favored lookout and another 0.4 or so miles to the actual summit. If the woods road is closed, or you don't want to drive it, add 1.6 miles each way of easy road walk to your trip. The trail from Dacy Clearing to the cutoff to Sleeping Beauty is a broad tote road. The trail beyond that point is a delight with actual switch backs, walking below and around cliffs that you will be looking out from near the summit. The views are expansive and include Crane Mountain to the west and Pico and Killington to the east, as well as Lake George. The cliffs face east, south, and west, so you can enjoy your day in the sun. From here, you can choose to backtrack and make it an out-and-back hike for 4.4 total miles from Dacy Clearing (7.6 miles if from Hog Town parking area). Alternately, you can head back to a marker in an earlier section of the trail and bear left to descend another series of switchbacks before reach Bumps Pond. Continue following the trail around the pond. The trail descends again, passing several lookouts before you complete the loop. Return the same route to Dacy Clearing and finally the parking area.

Sleeping Beauty.. maybe it's name is due to its over look of the Queen of Lakes.
Miles and miles of mountain ranges following behind the other fading into their purple hue.

Easy hike, except for the scrambling of foot work to keep the mud to a minimum.
No bugs/flies. Temperature perfect, but at the top very windy and chilly so bring a light jacket or long sleeve shirt so you can enjoy your accomplishment and the scenery longer.
Tweens will be able to do this hike easily but the miles might make them cranky. You might consider skipping the loop to Bump pond. I did'
The road part of trail back was surprisingly long.... we kept thinking the car was just around the next bend. Just remind the youngsters they had just conquered a mountain!
Moderately wooded without leaves still. But I really want to do this again in the peak of fall.

Did this hike early July of last summer. Easy hike with amazing views at the top. My favorite so far! Heavily trafficked, lots of kids and dogs on the trail.

Great hike! Thought it was strange the only birds to be heard was woodpeckers, and the peepers near the pond.

Had a great time pushing myself

Awesome , no
Bugs and beautiful weather! Barely Any snow left, moderate mud, but not too bad! Overall it was a dream day for hiking. Hope we have many more like this!

The hike started our with temperatures in the high 30's. We followed the yellow trail markers until the blue trail to sleeping beauty came in on the right. The road in was covered with snow and ice, but there were some had bare spots. We used microspikes on and off, but once we reached the switchbacks, we left them on of the remainder of the hike. The outlook was wonderful. The view of Lake George, Gore Mountain and the other mountains were outstanding. We decided to continue to Bumps Pond for a loop hike. The way down to Bumps Pond was snow packed, but melting. There were portions of the hike that were in a stream bed, so after all the rain we got, we were walking in slush, stream beds and slippery ice and snow. The total distance was 7.5 miles and it took us 4:22 minutes. When we finished the hike it was 45 degrees. What a lovely hike, I will definitely do this again in the summer, when the road is open.

Took the longer trail around Bumps Pond on 4/2 with 4 or 5 inches of wet snow on the trail. This follows the yellow trail markers and I s a nicer route than the main route to the top, you get some nice views of the cliffs from below the mountain. Total mileage was 7.6 miles up and back. Bumps Pond is a nice, small pond. Snow was still a foot-plus deep off the trail.

My review might be a bit bias as I went on a strange day in February. It was a windy 65 degree day that was filled with ice, snow, and mud. I went in shorts, spikes, and short sleeves and it roved to be the right choice as I was never really cold or warm.

The trail was a good mile and a half or two of road (icy) until the official trailhead with the option to go right or left to make the loop. I went left which was a steady incline, making its way back around a small frozen pond.

The trail then switched from yellow to blue markers around the pond and up a few more hundred feet for the wooded summit in the snow. From there it started to descend down towards the rewarding view a few hundred feet down on the right.

The view really is the best part as it gives about a 180 angle of the lake and mountains near it. Because it was a cloudy and windy day, I didn't spend much time up there but I could have as it really was nice.

From there I went back down and finished up the loop on a gradual decline back down to the trailhead at the road. Then it was another 2 miles or so to the lot.

It was about 7.5 miles round trip but 3.5 of it was walking straight on the road in. During the summer that road is open and if you do the hike (unless you want to walk more) I would advise to wait until summer to park there and do the loop.

Easy and short. Great views

Great hiking locale

A great little half day hike. Around 7 miles when parked at the lower lot. From the lower lot the first 1.5 miles or so is along the dirt road to the upper lot and trail head. Although not very exciting, it's fairly flat and a good way to warm up your legs. I would walk it over drive any day. The trail itself, due to the switchbacks, is never very steep. However, it does get your blood flowing and the views from the summit are beautiful. Taking the loop down to Bump's Pond increases your mileage, which we felt was necessary since we didn't work hard to get to the summit. We found a sunny spot on a rock by the water to eat lunch. This was really nice; otherwise we wouldn't have spent much time at the pond and it was very pretty. The trail is very rocky and wet (following streams both up and down). Waterproof hiking boots are not just recommended but necessary to avoid wet feet and twisted ankles. Took us just under 4 hours - we kept a steady pace while moving but also took a lot of time to soak in the nature.

Beautiful hike, gorgeous views at the top and very dog friendly. The only negative side was that the trail was very, very damp today, which i did not expect. But it was still a lot of fun.