Sky Top Trail

Sky Top Trail is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near New Paltz, New York that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Snow shoes or cross country skis required in winter. There is a $21 per person fee to hike this trail.

DOGS ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THE PROPERTY.

Please tell people it costs $21 PER PERSON to hike here! This is absolutely ridiculous.

Really nice hike, beautiful day. Lots of little trails. You can just wander around and explore. We went up to the tower. It was quite windy at the tower. We had a free pass otherwise its $21 per person.

Beautiful views

Nice hike to the top of Skytop Mountain. The ascent is steady, but moderate, and it provides great views of Mohonk Lake and Mohonk Mountain House from the beginning. There are several gazebos on the way up, which provide nice resting spots to catch your breath and enjoy the view. At the top, there is a stone tower that provides excellent views of the surrounding countryside, including the Walkill River Valley and the Catskills. There are several cliffs very near the trail, so I would not recommend this trail to people with a fear of heights.

Just a warning, if you aren’t staying at the hotel, the hike is a little longer. They have you starting at the entrance to the preserve. But it’s worth it for the scenery and awesome views.

Very easy way to get around Mohonk.

Why don't you let people know it's 21$ per person, and a 1,5mile walk to the start? I wanted to take my grandmother there and we were excited.

Monday, July 17, 2017

I absolutely loved it. You Park at the gate house and walk in. Adds about 4 miles to the hike (there and back) but it felt great. Mohonk is beautifully kept. Not strenuous at all, a couple inclines nothing bad. I went nice and early today and I had the hike to myself! It is $21.00 per person but if you have Mohonk Preserve membership it is $10.00

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

52 $ for parking and 2 people for 40 minutes walk. seriously?

Saturday, July 01, 2017

Thought this would be a shorter hike bringing my 6 yr old. Ended up being 6 miles round trip from parking. Very pretty up top though.

Friday, June 09, 2017

Some trials are a little difficult for a short while. I start hiking from the bottom entrance for a better workout. Most people travel from the resort but plenty of trails are around if you look.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Great hike
Went with my kids 13 year old and my 1-1/2 year old in his carrier. We started from the visitors center did an 8 mile loop. Beautiful spring weather.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

my favorite place because of the rock climbing through the labyrinth. views of the mountain house are spectacular. huge boulders and cliffs are white and great for climbing
I will be back next year

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Whether hiking in from the Mohonk Preserve, the MUA, or Mountain House Grounds this is an exciting, challenging, and beautiful hike. The first time I ever completed it was my first weekend of college at SUNY NP back in the fall of 2006 and I'll never get sick of going back.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

This is an excellent easy scenic carriageway path. Note there are no bicycles allowed on this carriageway!

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Great for family with younger kids. Very nice view! My kids (7 and 3) were able to climb up to the Sky Top by themsevles.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Did this trail from the Mohonk House, great views of the House and surrounding area.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Easy hike. Quick. Nice views. Good family hike. $$ to park. Other attractions.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

A short hike but very nice.
Had a great hike here with my Sister Lydia. An easy hike. Deer were in rut.

Monday, August 14, 2017