Silver Lake Mountain Trail

Silver Lake Mountain Trail is a 2 mile out and back trail located near Au Sable Forks, New York. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice climb other than a few sections where there's roots and super rocky , and one section that looks worse than what it is just before you start getting to the summit . Over all a great hike and amazing views of the Makenzie wilderness and almost all the high peaks

Beautiful mountain, but would almost rate it as moderate. I hike often (2x per week) with my disabled client and typically have no issues with "easy" rated trials. He struggled bad on this one, where some spots are both steep and bare rock which is tricky. But otherwise, amazing hike. Would do it again!

Easy mountain. Summited with my 7 year old daughter in 45 minutes. Fun trail with nice views!

Great trail but I'd rate this as moderate skill level. The incline is almost constant the entire way and trail is filled with rocks and roots.
Not something to cut your teeth on.

Amazing view and definitely worth the trek.

We had a great time on this hike. There were a few spots on the way up to take in some nice views. It rained on us a couple times, which made the hike back down a little slippery. Nothing too major, and will do this again with my daughter.

Nice, short hike. When you get to the top the view cants be beat. Strung up a hammock and soaked it in for a while. I did find the trail to be a bit difficult to track towards the top BUT there was a crew there working on defining the trail when I was there. Definitely would recommend if your looking for a quick hiking fix.

loved the hike, first 15 minutes were steep, but it was quick and beautiful.

Really nice hike. Great scenery starts about 2/3 of the way up, plenty of awesome views from there to the top.

Most of this hike is easy, but once you get about 2/3 of the way up there are some rather steep sections mixed with loose pine needles, tree roots, and off-camber rock that most people would not consider easy.

Also, the bottom 2/3 is a well worn trail, easy to follow, and currently marked with blue flags, which are not necessary at all. Unfortunately the person with the blue flags ran out when they were most needed.

You're going to find quite a few confusing areas in the top 1/3rd where several trails branch off and in some areas there's almost no trail apparent. Seriously, if I had known I would have grabbed a few of the blue flags from the bottom and marked the trail closer to the top once I had finally found it after some scouting. So I would highly advise recording your route with this app so you can double check your position near the top, and maybe the next person up can grab a few flags and move them higher on the hill where they're needed.

We went the day after a soaking rain but the hill was remarkably dry. No water problems at all. Really enjoyed this hike. Beautiful forest, a good mix of terrain, and awesome views at the top.

Very beautiful hike with multiple lookout points along the way. It took me about 2 hours, in and out, without much time spent sitting, admiring the views. My only criticism of this trail is that it isn't marked. So, you are following the warn foot trail from other hikers. There were a couple times I veered off the main trail, looking down, following other trail offshoots. I would definitely do this hike again and pay better attention.