Shindagin Hollow State Forest Trails

Shindagin Hollow State Forest Trails is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Brooktondale, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Shindagin Hollow State Forest (Tompkins #3) covers 5,266 acres of land in the towns of Caroline in southern Tompkins County and Candor in northern Tioga County. It is one of two forests covered by the Rapid Waters Unit Management Plan. Its large size and good access from public roads make this a great forest to enjoy activities such as mountain biking, hunting, hiking, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, bird watching, nature viewing, picnicking and camping.

Great trail.

Yes! Bears Do shit in the wood! Saw a fresh paw print that REALLY got me moving! Had to be 700 pounder!

Just beautiful. Can be as easy or difficult as you want. Some trails are very steep, some are old Jeep roads!

Beautiful hike! I'll be back soon to take advantage of the fire pit and lean to (about 3/4 miles in). Lovely small waterfalls and a few old stone remnants of houses. The trail is usually well marked, but I found myself guessing at times. Great scenery, would recommend

Beautiful woods and the trails are not too muddy in Mid-June. Be sure to download the map trails as the signal for mobile phones is too poor there. Small, lovely waterfalls good for wading. Also go through the AllTrails app to find the trailhead, Google maps will send you into the middle of nowhere! There was a nice lean-to for overnights, and the whole thing was very nicely maintained. I just wish we had had the map, because we were just guessing. We'll be back better prepared!

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

My fav place for hiking. Tough to get to in winter because of seasonal roads but the best trails and miles of them! Marked and unmarked so be careful or you could easily get lost. Beautiful old forest.

Friday, November 04, 2016

I'd rate this trail Easy to Moderate compared to Breakneck Ridge (Hard) and Mount Hadley (Moderate). The trail is not too steep, and with an even surface throughout. There's many variations that could upgrade it's difficulty to Medium-Hard because of very steep sections but definitely there's no scrambling involved. However, the scenery is beautiful, and I encountered lots of wild life such as deer. Trails are not well marked in several sections so I'd recommend bringing a map or a compass just in case. I'd definitely do it again because of the many variations that it offers and because of it's low traffic (I didn't encounter anyone on my Saturday morning hike)

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

I loved this place. Great scenery and enough elevation difference to consider it a real hike. I didn't do the loop trail when I was there. Did an out and back one but I found a nice area for pitching a tent a little ways in where there was also a lean to. Altogether I got in about a 7.5 mile hike and I'm looking forward to going back to do the rest.

Thursday, October 09, 2014

Well worth the trip. The trails are well maintained and full of character. Fun fall ride today, perfect temp for peddling around here.

Saturday, April 26, 2014

I recommend entering the park through Prospect Valley Road, especially if you have a vehicle that's low to the ground.

Sunday, April 06, 2014

Climbed today 3/6/14 great hike. Little icy still but great to get out there!!

Sunday, September 29, 2013

A cool fall day but a nice hike in the woods!

Sunday, August 18, 2013

A terrific jaunt to the lean-to no matter the direction you start from. Beautiful ramp in Spring. New stone work is a treasure to see, start from Bald Hill Road. Not recommended for hiking during hunting season, all other time a pleasure.

Saturday, April 06, 2013

Completed again on 4/6/2013 on a beautiful spring day! A very nice trail not always well marked and at the time still icy...
Will do it again though.

Friday, July 08, 2011

First of all it is marked WRONG on this website. Other then that this is one of the best trails I have every been on. I would give it 5 stars but the trails need to be marked out better. I even had a map on my phone and still got a little lost. Who ever works this trail system does a very good job.

Friday, October 15, 2010

This is an excellent trail. Slightly challenging but very enjoyable

Sunday, January 22, 2017