Shindagin Hollow State Forest Trails

Shindagin Hollow State Forest Trails is a 6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Brooktondale, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Shindagin Hollow State Forest (Tompkins #3) covers 5,266 acres of land in the towns of Caroline in southern Tompkins County and Candor in northern Tioga County. It is one of two forests covered by the Rapid Waters Unit Management Plan. Its large size and good access from public roads make this a great forest to enjoy activities such as mountain biking, hunting, hiking, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, bird watching, nature viewing, picnicking and camping.

Beautiful hike! I'll be back soon to take advantage of the fire pit and lean to (about 3/4 miles in). Lovely small waterfalls and a few old stone remnants of houses. The trail is usually well marked, but I found myself guessing at times. Great scenery, would recommend

Beautiful woods and the trails are not too muddy in Mid-June. Be sure to download the map trails as the signal for mobile phones is too poor there. Small, lovely waterfalls good for wading. Also go through the AllTrails app to find the trailhead, Google maps will send you into the middle of nowhere! There was a nice lean-to for overnights, and the whole thing was very nicely maintained. I just wish we had had the map, because we were just guessing. We'll be back better prepared!

My fav place for hiking. Tough to get to in winter because of seasonal roads but the best trails and miles of them! Marked and unmarked so be careful or you could easily get lost. Beautiful old forest.

I'd rate this trail Easy to Moderate compared to Breakneck Ridge (Hard) and Mount Hadley (Moderate). The trail is not too steep, and with an even surface throughout. There's many variations that could upgrade it's difficulty to Medium-Hard because of very steep sections but definitely there's no scrambling involved. However, the scenery is beautiful, and I encountered lots of wild life such as deer. Trails are not well marked in several sections so I'd recommend bringing a map or a compass just in case. I'd definitely do it again because of the many variations that it offers and because of it's low traffic (I didn't encounter anyone on my Saturday morning hike)

Saturday, September 24, 2016