cave

Started at the Berme Rd parking area near the Ellenville fire station. Went up Smiley Carriageway. Clearly the falls (about 1.4 miles up) are quite seasonal, since you could see where they would be, but there was no water falling. Up to this point the Smiley Carriageway has a quite good surface. From there on, however, it rapidly turned into a quite washed-out road. Turned right at the intersection with the High Point Carriageway (which has lots of swampy areas. Just past the intersection with the High Point Trail, AllTrails indicates a trail that descends to the south of the Smiley Carriageway. Although it does, in fact, exist, the beginning or this trail is not easy to find, and, for most of the descent, it's not much more than a rough game trail. If you're going to do this, make sure you're wearing long pants and long sleeves. I had only a T-shirt, and my arms were a bloody mess by the time I got back to my car! I'm still glad I did it since, about 2/3rds of the way down, you suddenly come to a marvelous series of deep ravines/gullies, which still had plenty of snow/ice in them.

The original track shown with this hike is quite confusing in how it forms a loop. Either the person who submitted it was doing some serious bushwhacking or else his/her GPS was not working properly.