Seth Green Trail

Seth Green Trail is a 1.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Rochester, New York that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I would hardly call this a "hiking trail". Parking lot is sketchy and in a bad area. From there the "trail" goes down a paved roadway until you get to an RG&E facility that generates hydro electric power. The falls are cool to see and there appears to be a cave across the river. The mapped trail in the app takes a right hand turn before the falls and has you follow the river for a while. Trash litters the trail along with fishing line, syringes and condoms. You can cross the river to an "island" but I had to turn around when I got to a homeless camp. Would only go back to figure out how to get into the cave.

The falls were really pretty. The trails were covered in garbage, syringes, used condoms. Homeless tents everywhere too.

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Easy, short hike. The falls were nice but overall it's not a trail we would do again. As other reviewers noted there were a number of used syringes on the ground as well as condoms, broken glass and other trash. We didn't see any caves but from the pictures it seems it may be on the other side of the river.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

The views here were great and my husband really enjoyed exploring the cave. But it is the city of Rochester and there were several syringes laying on the ground when we got out of the car. Freaked me out a little since we had our kids with us.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Wilderness in the city! You can get waterfront access to the base of the lower falls via the fishing access trail, then take the seth green trail to woods, completely wild seth green island and an expanse of river rocks that makes you feel like you're out west. If you live in the city, it's a pretty great experience.

Monday, September 19, 2016

The trail itself is really cool for being located in downtown Rochester. But it's also located in downtown Rochester, so if you're trying to have a true wilderness experience, I wouldn't get your hopes up. That being said, still an awesome trail! The cave is the best part.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

I found this place on a website called NY Falls. This place was under "Norton's Falls." After posting pictures on Facebook, I had a friend tell me she didn't go here due to suspicious activity, etc., which is why I'll give it 4 stars. My car was the only one in the lot , and the only person we saw was in a wheelchair at the senior living center. When we left, there were some fisherman pulling in. The trail zigzags down to the Genesee River, with a moderate gradient. If you plan on scaling the falls, I would consider this a difficult trail. There is a cave that is accessible, which we didn't go through, if you're feeling adventurous and have a good flashlight you could probably go in. Oh, and bring some good footwear that is okay to get wet. Down by the river, you can see the 104 bridge, with a beautiful reflection on the water. The falls tricks down into a rock bed, which is also fun to climb on. We went late morning. There is a sign when you enter the trail stating the trail was once frequently used by Native Americans. I hope that this place stays clean and remains safe for anyone that wants to explore this beautiful hidden gem in Rochester.

Saturday, May 06, 2017