Seneca-Cayuga Canal Trail

Seneca-Cayuga Canal Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Waterloo, New York that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.1 miles Elevation Gain: 134 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

rails trails

Flat nice little walk

I walk/jog/bike this trail weekly! it is 4 miles from seneca lake state park to waterloo(it comes out by canal locks)! I usually park at Bishop Nature Preserve and follow the trail to the canal path(info center, can't miss it!)! it is beautiful during every season and never crowded!!

My family of 4 had a great time biking this trail. My 8 & 6 year old sons had no trouble navigating the flat trail. The views of the canal were beautiful! My boys had fun crossing g the railroad tracks & going over the old railroad bridge. The path does not share the road with cars / trains - although you have to cross a roads. We parked our car at the Seneca Lake Waterfront Park. The Seneca Lake Water Front Trail runs along the lake. When facing the lake we went left to catch the Cayuga - Seneca Canal Trail. We past about 3 playground along the way, each time stopping so the boys can play. Once you get to the sprinkler playground, the trail picks up behind it, on the other side of the parking lot. There are plenty of signs that mark the trail. I included some pictures.

Nice 3 mile walk during lunch break.

Was an great early morning hike, little buggy by 10 am.

Very nice quiet, peaceful flat trail along the canal. Shady with some views of the canal. Also great for biking and running.

This must be a beautiful trail most of the time. However, this morning when we were biking on this trail it was more like an obstacle course. We started out from Waterloo and headed towards Geneva NY and Seneca Lake. Between mile 1 and 1.5 there must have been about 20 downed trees. Not all were dead - many live trees were just snapped at the trunk and lay across the bike path. These trees need to be cleared if anyone will enjoy this bike path. Other that that, it is a lovely trail, next to the Seneca River.

paddle sports