Schunemunk Sweet Clover Trail

Schunemunk Sweet Clover Trail is a 6.9 mile loop trail located near New Windsor, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October.

Fantastic views, waterfalls, streams; this hike has it all. There are a few times when you may get off trail so keep an eye on the markers. Wear good boots for water crossings and rocky inclines.

I would rate this a little tougher than moderate, great views, water falls, maybe there's another trail that is easier , but for the most part it was fun and different, 9.5 miles by the time we were done.

I started on the Trestle Trail on Otterkill Rd and this was my first ever hike on a mountain. I went in excited and came back absolutely battered. The views at the top are amazing but I WARN you that if you are a out of shape beginner like me, start at an easier mountain. There were lots and lots of climbing, rock scrambling and some steep descents here as I unwittingly had to explore a lot more of the trails then I intended. Trails are marked but be aware at some intersections. You can miss a trail marking easily at some points. Definitely bring a trail map. I got lost twice and had a long grueling hike back to the car. If your a fit person this place will be an awesome adventure. Overall Schunemunk mountain is amazing and as you head further up towards the summit the views just gets better and better. Bring lots of water and be ready for a workout!

This is a great trail. Great in both the ascent & descent. It's starts flat in the meadows but doesn't stay that way.

Fun and challenging hike.

Fun hike. Lots of wild life. I saw 2 black bear cubs, 2 deer, and lots of rattlesnakes.

Did the 9 mile loop with western trail (Orange). The track recording failed so sorry folks. Laurels were blooming, blueberries out (ate some) and yes bear, Saw a bear. Wonderful and whimsical cairns and rock trail indicators. Loved the start and finish through the meadow and the 3 mile Ridge walk. One of the best in downstate.

Pretty & technical, love the 3 peaks it has awesome views 360 degrees, those dwarf pine trees are so beautifu.

Monday, April 25, 2016