Scarface

Scarface is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ray Brook, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is best used from July until July. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A nice hike through varied woods and a few steep sections Scarface is part of the Saranac 6er series On this hike you can stay along the base trail and use mountain bikes or you can continue up through some steeper sections to the top by hiking (year round). If you follow some of the herd paths you can break out to a nice view before the treed in summit. From the trailhead you will you climb a bit and work your way through an open forest to the railroad tracks. Cross the railroad tracks and continue on a mellow hike all the way to the bridge over Ray Brook. This spot is a very nice area for fishing as well as just a short destination hike. Past the bridge the trail stays very mellow through a forest of tall pines. There is one very distinctive trail split, be sure to take a left at this point, the split is well marked. Past here the trail begins to climb a bit and very soon begins to get steeper. As the terrain gets steeper the footing gets a bit less favorable, but a fun hike none the less. Along these steep slopes as you gain more elevation there are some steep areas with a bit of scrambling and wet conditions. As the trail starts to get less aggressive there are a few decent views off over the trees of the distant high peaks. The trail moderates to the unofficial summit.

There isn't much of a view at the top (like another commented I walked right past the summit without realizing it) but the trail up is beautiful. Most of the path is a nice stroll through a pine forest that gets steep near the top. I went the day after a major rainstorm so it was quite muddy but that was unavoidable. It's a nice hike and a decent work out. I would recommend it to anyone that's looking for a nice walk through the woods with some harder parts mixed in. There is a false summit that has a nice view.

Scarface Mtn was my 3rd Mtn of the Saranac Lake 6ers on Day 2. Signed in at the trail head at 9:45 a.m. and reached the summit at 11:45 a.m. at a moderate pace. Pleasant start thru the pine forest with gentle rolling hills. Be on the lookout for an occasional train when approaching the railroad tracks. Right before the bridge over Ray Brook is the Capt. John Paul McKay memorial bench on the left. As you continue you'll come upon the remnants of an old foundation just before the split in the trail - go left. From the split your journey gets gradually steeper, but nothing like Ampersand or McKenzie Mtns. As you ascend you'll reach the only landing with a view before continuing along a narrow heavily wooded path to the true summit (marker on tree) within a gathering of pines. I walked right by the summit marker for about 20 yards before I realized I passed it. Three down - three to go to complete the Saranac Lake 6ers.

It was pouring the rain the entirety of my hike, which made conditions very muddy and slippery, so that might skew my review. I enjoyed the first two miles, which were easy and rolling. I particularly liked strolling through the pine forest, which made me feel like I was in a fairy tale. This trail was not as well maintained as others in the area, and some parts were a bit difficult to maneuver due to the slippery rocks and mud. When I reached the false summit, I couldn't see much because of the rain clouds. The actual summit was much further up the path than I thought it would be and was marked by a white disk on a tree. The trail became steep in some areas, but very little of what I would consider rock scrambling. My small dog had no trouble navigating the trail, although she had to wade through several puddles above her ankles. It took me 4 hours and 18 minutes round trip in the cool rain. This hike would've been more enjoyable in nice weather. Overall, it was worthwhile, although it probably wouldn't be at the top of my list in this area if not for the 6er challenge.

I saw so many woodpeckers. This is a lovely trail!

As long as you're prepared for no summit views, this is a really fun hike. the trail was in the best condition of the 6ers this year (2017).

no view at the true top but some nice views before it. an ok trail in terms of difficulty.

The trail itself is well marked and it isn't too steep. A good hike overall, but I am giving only 3 stars because there is a small glimpse of a view. Reaching the summit is very anticlimactic.

Good hike, just a dreary day. Did it for the exercise. I t took me an hour and 40 min. to reach the summit, but a little less to get down. My total RT was 3:10. It was fun and a good workout. Had very little trouble with footing, (as I've read some people have) even though everything was soaked.

I'd do it again with the kids. I flew solo today. Worth the time for sure. Great brook running through a lot of the trail. Some Pretty cool challenges, nothing spectacular.

A great hike with beautiful scenery.