Sawteeth Mountain to Pyramid Peak to Armstrong Mountain

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(64)
Adirondack Mountain Reserve

Sawteeth Mountain to Pyramid Peak to Armstrong Mountain is a 15.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Keene Valley, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 15.4 miles Elevation Gain: 4,501 feet Route Type: Loop

Trail was in great shape just needed a little fluffing. After the junction with pyramid The trail was steeper and rougher but very doable. Used micro spikes on the lake road and snow shoes all the way to the summit. Bear booted the lake road on the way out. Of course on the way down I had to stop to rainbow Falls and check it out... A must while you are there. The day was overcast but the views were still awesome!

private property

I enjoyed this trail! Lots of views!

private property

4 mile walk in on the AMR property/road. I climbed Sawteeth first. I felt the lookout before the peak and the lookout after the peak was just as good. I then completed pyramid the views were much better. Def steep and had to pull myself up in a few areas I debated not climbing Gothics because I had before. But it was definitely worth the 360 degree view and panoramic pics I got.

Definitely recommend this trail but buckle in for a full day of hiking and amazing views. Took us 11 hours (was not in our best hiking shape). Went from Sawteeth to Gothics to Armstrong and down the Beaver Meadow Run trail. Saw Rainbow falls on the way up and Beaver Meadow Falls on the way home. Way home was long and brutal, full of small rocks and roots with ladders. Gorgeous views!!

On the 24th I did this loop, but started with Sawteeth, on to Pyramid, Gothics, then Armstrong. The long walk through the Ausable Club is annoying, but very easy. Once at the split in trails up to Sawteeth and Gothics the trail gets rocky, as per usual for the ADK hikes. Up to Sawteeth wasn't bad and the views were pretty. Hiking up to Pyramid gets very steep in some places, but offers awesome views of many slides on neighboring peaks. I honestly enjoyed the views from the Pyramid summit almost more than on Gothics and Armstrong. Stunning and steep! Gothics was an easy climb from Pyramid, then I decided to finish the loop and do Armstrong. Lots of mud going to Armstrong. The descent down from Armstrong to Beaver Meadow was arduous and steep. The ladders were solid but shift a little as you climb. I definitely felt like I needed my trekking poles for the slow and steep descent. Take your time and be careful!

private property

I did Gothic via Beaver Meadow, Armstrong and Sawteeth via Pyramid. 8 solid hours car to car with stops on each submit. Well worth it! Some ladders going up Armstrong and coming down Armstrong to Gothic but manageable.

From the parking lot round trip is 12 miles exactly, it took me 5:30 hours round trip is very manageable, Base on my abilities which I hike often and keep a good shape. a lots of flies and mud on top. Definitely wasn’t very difficult and the trail is well marked.

Sawteeth only. Originally planned Sawteeth as my third peak (after Colvin & Blake via the ‘elevator shaft’) the previous day but torrential rains caused me to rethink. I did Sawteeth and back via A W Weld trail. Climb from the dam to the col was steadily upwards but not technical and several nice stream crossings. The last slog was a little more challenging with a few rock scrambles. Lots of mud on the summit but the weather cleared giving great views. Out and back from the parking lot was 6 hours on the nose but that included several stops (still sore from the day before),

Great great hike. I made little side trips to check out Rainbow Falls and Beaver Meadow Falls. The push up Pyramid is no joke - steep and rough. But the view you get is worth it. Then I seemed to arrive at Gothics very quickly. I had to leave Armstrong for another day due to lack of time and low water. Not sure why Pyramid is not considered a High Peak. The Beaver Meadow Trail coming down is very long, steep and muddy. Be prepared to go up via some ladders before you start going down.

Thu Feb 21 2019

Perfect snow pack trailway as of 2-5-2019. Relatively easy hike save the 12+ mile pricetag. 6+ miles of it a basic "roadwalk." The rest (in winter) is a breeze. If you have the means, I highly reccomend it.

Sat Oct 13 2018

Great hike! Trail conditions were a bit rough due to recent rains (i.e. lots of mud and big puddles), in addition to some snow we hit at the higher elevations. Winter is coming to the high peaks region, so use caution if you're planning on doing this hike anytime soon. It wouldn't be safe to climb Pyramid Peak and Gothics without proper winter equipment once it ices over. The top of the peaks was probably about 30 degrees Fahrenheit with a wind chill making it feel like single-digits. Although it is very wet and muddy right now, this route is really easy to follow and well-marked. The walk in from Ausable Golf Club is a bit long and boring, but once you hit the trail, you get a bit of everything-- bridges, switchbacks, scrambles, ladders, etc. The descents between peaks can get a bit dicey, especially in rain/snow, so use caution. The views from all four peaks are good, but you can't see as much from Sawteeth as you can from the others on a clear day. If there is any percent chance of rain or snow in the forecast (even just 20%), however, you likely won't get much of a view because it will be blocked by clouds. Regardless, I highly recommend this loop for any experienced, well-seasoned hikers. It took us about 10.5 hours with minimal stops (the longest being only about 20 minutes) to get the whole 15.4 miles. Be sure to plan accordingly for daylight as well-- we barely made it back by dark!

Thu Aug 30 2018

What a day!! Absolutely loved this hike!! Decided to go up Sawteeth via the scenic trail which was rather grueling but well worth the views of Ausable Lake. Thought the view from Pyramid was the most beautiful stayed on the summit for a half hour enjoying it.

Tue Aug 21 2018

Amazing hike. good marked and easy to find. Difficult climb so now and then but thats how it should be. The views on the top where amazing and totally worth it

Tue Jun 12 2018

Best hike I have done so far. It was a challenging hike. I did the trail clockwise and started with rainbow fall. This only adds about 1/3 of a mile to the hike so well worth doing. Sawteeth was a fairly easy hike with a little scrambling. Pyramid Peak was was a little harder. Great views from Pyramid. Gothics was a nice hike from Pyramid. Some scambling on this part too.The hardest part was coming down Pyramid. Armstrong Mountain had some interesting rocks to maneuver around. The hike back to Lake Rd was a little challenging after the long hike. Several ladders in place to help out. Beaver meadow falls was the last site for the day. Very nice waterfalls.