Saratoga National Park Battlefield Trail

Saratoga National Park Battlefield Trail is a 11.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stillwater, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

scenic driving

historic site

The Saratoga National Historical Park is within the Saratoga Battlefield in Stillwater, New York. The Tour Road is open usually from April 1 to mid-November depending upon weather conditions. You can walk, drive, or do a bike tour of the Battlefields on a beautifully paved roadway that features a nice bike lane. The bike lane is along the right edge of the roadway and is 4 feet wide and is intended for hikers as well. The tour road is one-way and loops through the battlefields exiting at the park entrance road near State Rt. 4 and the Hudson River. Entrance to the Park is free through April 30th. Beginning May 1st there is a $3.00 fee for bicyclists, or a $5.00 vehicle fee. The stops and informational signs introduce you to the history of the Battles of Saratoga in 1777 and the scenic views are breathtaking overlooking the upper Hudson River valley.

Stumbled upon mountain lion tracks by one of the landmarks on the drive through trail..
beautiful place.

Awesome park with a lot of history. Have done trail running and hiking here. Brought my dad here the third time I came and we caught a volunteer historian giving a guided tour to a boy scout troop. Highly recommend catching a tour if you can.

beautiful fall day for a,nice walk around the battlefield!

Beautiful. Historic. And a wonderful array of birds!

Went here in the fall of 2016. Nice trail that is fairly well groomed with one area where there is some elevation change. At the bottom it was a little soggy but that was the only hitch. I would call it light to moderate traffic as I went later in the day and a little later in the season.

We visited this location today and were very pleased with the trail loop. the hike was very muddy and messy which was to be expected as a big thunderstorm came through yesterday. I loved learning the history behind the battle of 1777 while we hiked the historical trail. Our hike ended up being 4.6 miles. We will be back for sure!

enjoyable experience

Easy 4.2 mile walk along the historic Wilkinson Trail. You can also grab 4 stamps for your NPS passport as well.

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Beautiful history and peaceful trail.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

great place to hike on a sunny day

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

nice hike...marked well .great on a sunny day

Monday, June 13, 2016

great trails and beautiful sights

Monday, October 12, 2015

This was a great hike full of rich American history. The area itself is beautiful and the people that work at the visitors center are very knowledgeable and friendly.

Monday, October 12, 2015

The four mile hike was beautiful. We saw tons of deer. And getting to hear the history of the battles was a wonderful bonus. I went in early October which was the anniversary of some of the battles. It's insane to believe 237 years ago in the same place you are hiking there was a battle. Spooky to think about. They provide you literature on the battles, or have guided tours. Stop in the visitor center, the people who work there are so passionate about their jobs!

off road driving
Friday, October 10, 2014

This is a wonderful trail for walking, biking or driving. There is so much history here and this land deserves the utmost respect, given what actually took place here. The whole time I was here, I had the feeling I was traveling on hallowed ground. You can go through this park and see some lovely scenery, or you can go through this park and read the history plaques and realize that we all owe so much to the men who fought for our freedom and independence. This was a pivotal place in our American history, look into the woods while you're there, try to imagine what the soldiers saw all those years ago...

Saturday, July 05, 2014

Biked this. It's a great bike ride and a awesome work out.

Friday, June 13, 2014

Interesting walk. Would definitely do it again.

Friday, October 25, 2013

My most hiked trail spots are here. I love every time I go. Views of the Hudson river and surrounding fields are around every corner. A wonderful visitor center, great staff and amazing memories. Nine out of ten times I go deer and foxes can be seen so this is a great place for small animal observation. Bring bug spray though ticks love the tall grass.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

very informative and a lovely walk!

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

We like to bike this trail but it can be driven, walked or ran as well. The tour road brings you through some beautiful views and also provides some great historic information stops. One point on the trail gets steep for those on bikes, if you have young child you may want to walk it. With all of the stops and little detours we took the last time this took us about 4 hours but we had a blast.