Santanoni Range - Panther, Santanoni, Couchsachraga Peaks

Santanoni Range - Panther, Santanoni, Couchsachraga Peaks is a 14.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Newcomb, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

bridge out

If you have limited time to do hiking in the Adirondacks, pass the Santanonis.
Views: 2/5
Terrain: difficult with multiple bogs and mud (through it not around it!)
Total time: 8:10-7:40 RT 11.5 hours, should have been 10 however my friend and I spaced on the right turn off the road onto the DEC trail and had to loop around.

The DEC trail with blue markers is fairly easy to follow although difficult due to the wet terrain. The turn off to the herd path at the lean to is clearly marked. From there it is a moderately difficult ascent to herald square. At herald square to your right will be a trail and easy ascent to Panther ~25 minutes round trip. Also at herald square a rock with an

Usually very muddy. Sure was when I hiked it. Plenty of water sources until you get on top of the range and go towards Couchy. Great view of Long Lake to the west and other high peaks to the east!

Mud! sucked the shoes right off your feet. The view from Panther Mountain and before Santanoni mountain are great (only views). When coming down, there were some nice pools in the brook to cool off in.

Did this as an overnight. Hiked in first day and stayed at the Bradley pond lean-to. The 1.8 miles from parking lot to actual trailhead was the worst part for me. The most confusing herd path to find is the one to Couch. When you come up to Herald Square there are paths leading every direction, Panther will be to the right and to the left is times square where Santanoni and Couch split apart. Prepare for mud.

I didn't have all that much fun with this one. I went counter clock wise, I think that worked out fine, it wasn't as bad as folks made it out to be. Panther was amazing. Just under 10 hours, would have been 9 if I didn't miss so many turns (my bad). I wish there were better train markers, just a few additional ones leading into Times Square and signs marking which peak you are headed to.

In late July this hike was muddy but less muddy than we expected. Views from Santanoni and Panther are nice. It took us 12.5 hours RT, and Couch (that dismal mountain) took 3 hours RT from the junction. Though we hiked Santanoni first, I think it's best done with Panther first, as the hike down Santanoni is mellower. A few scrambles but nothing too difficult. Be prepared for very wet feet.

My trip took just under 10 hours. We went up the Panther herd path and returned via the santanoni express route. We did Couch first and took us under an hour both ways from Times Square. The trail wasn't that steep, just long and muddy. We then moved to Panther which was very easy with nice views and then finished on Santanoni. Nice views before the summit here! The return down was steep off of santanoni but we made it. Overall, we bagged 3 more high peaks with only 10 remaining! So far, I'd say the Cliff and Redfield hike was the hardest of them all and not the Santa range. Enjoy!

Mud mud and more mud, we hiked into Bradley pond camped for the night and made the trek up the following day. It took us 12 hours round trip back to Bradley Pond . It rained and there was a lot of mud that slowed us down. All in all glad it's done # 36,37 and 38 YEAY!!

YThe way you get sweet and Rey you

As many hikers have already mentioned, this hike is very muddy. The express trail up Santanoni wasn't bad but after that... think the tortoise scene from Neverending Story- all mud. The trail out to Couchsachraga was a bit of a bear- adds a lot of time and distance. For a herd path it was very easy to follow. Bugs can be an issue on summits of coarse. The best view is right after the scramble up Panther, just before the actual summit. Great views of Couch and Santanoni.

Total time from start to finish took a little over 11 hours- Going up the Santanoni express trail and descending Bradley Pond trail. The 1.8 mile service road that you need to walk just to get to the actual DEC trail can be a bit tedious.

This was a long day hiking all three peaks. We took the Express trail up to Santanoni Peak first, then we headed over to Couch, then to Panther Peak and out via the Bradley Pond. This trail was muddy and the insects were very annoying.

Friday, October 28, 2016

Hike up panther brook is amazing

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Turn at time square is somewhat confusing. The unmaintained trail could use a couple cairns to ensure people don't get lost.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Swamp land

Thursday, July 14, 2016

This is a difficult and long hike. It should be noted that the trails are unmaintained.

Monday, April 04, 2016

A great hike! But not the best unless you are thinking about being a 46er.

Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Very long hike, 16 miles, took us 12hrs. pretty easy to follow, couple great views. if your not going for the 46er's I'd say skip Couchsachraga. Not really worth the extra time and elevation.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

11 hr, 13 min from sign in to sign out. spent 15ish min on couch and santanoni, 30-45 on panther. Plan on couch taking 3 hours round trip from time square. it was alot of flat, just long. from the parking lot- going up the express route and back down around the pond route worked out well.