Sam's Point and Verkeerderkill Falls Trail

Sam's Point and Verkeerderkill Falls Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cragsmoor, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

The entire hike will take you through the Sam's Point preserve, owned by the Nature Conservancy. The preserve is part of the Shawangunk ridge extending into Minnewaska SP. You will hike through a rare and endangered ecosystem, consisting of a Rare Dwarf Pitch Pine barren. One of the few remaining in the world. You will also hike to the Ice Caves which was formed from the talus or boulders from the cliffs, creating huge rock crevices or caves. The air in the Caves gets trapped keeping the inside cold enough for snow to stay through July. Along the way you will also hike up and on top of the many cliffs in the area, another unique feature of the area. You will get views of High Point Monument in NJ, the Hudson Valley as well as the Catskills and the Roundout Valley. Another feature you will pass is the Verkeerder Kill Falls and the Old Berry Picker Shacks from the days when the area was picked for it wild b Blueberries.

This is a great hike with some great views and things to explore. We first stopped at Sams point which had great views. From Sams point we went at ice caves which was really neat to see if you've never been there before like myself it was nice and cold in the caves which was refreshing being so hot out and there was ice in one spot yes ice. After the ice caves we went to the falls but unfortunately the falls only had a trickle of water coming down it. On the way to the falls the views where spectacular. If you've never been here before it's definitely worth checking out, you won't be disappointed.

Nice hike, in total it was closer to 6.5miles and had nice views, but unfortunately the waterfall was a mere trickle. Bring LOTS of water especially if you’re brining your dog. I thought I brought enough and ended up having to ration it the whole time.

Very cool hike. Ice caves still had ice in them! There is almost no shade offered on this hike. Bring plenty of water, sunblock and a hat!

awesome views, great waterfall wish I had more time to do the whole trail. We will be going back!

Went up to Sams Point overlook then did the loop to the left passed the Lake, up to High Point, down to Verkeerderkill Falls, and the Ice Caves. 360 degree views at High Point. Falls were a trickle. Ice Caves were cool and still had ice in them.

Multiple views to do, i would recommend take the left route first so you wont get bored. I took the right route which takes you to sams point right away. A lot of scrambling from the rocks which is fun. The path is well marked and i dont have to use this app to guide me. I enjoyed the ice caves the most. The trail took me like 3hrs to complete. Bring extra water and a hat, theres not much shade at the top.

Awesome walk with a variety of terrain. Good pair of hikers,Water ,snacks, and good weather is all you need.

Perfect hike. Trail is very well maintained. The flowers blooming in June are stunning

Its a long one. but may now be a Hudson Valley Favorite. I clocked it at 12 miles but i did absolutely everything along that loop. I went right at the start and saw Sam's Point first. What a great view and I had a perfect day! On to the ice caves which was pretty cool on a hot June day. I then ventured the 2 miles to the waterfall. This stroll was kind of cool. I have a nice view the entire walk. There was a big fire in this area a few years ago so. The burnt trees seem to be trying to come back but it was a very interesting and surprisingly beautiful view with the green that is now growing and a gorgeous blue sky. The waterfall (supposedly a hike highlight) was a bit underwhelming by comparison of the rest of the hike but nice enough. The next 3ish miles is along a ridge which gives you a lovely outlook the majority of the way. The last three miles is a straight shot back to the visitors center. With the small exception to a small lake, this is a fairly boring walk but i nice break after a long hike. Most people seemed to have done the loop the other way and see all the cool stuff last, but i liked doing all of that when I was well rested. Its a touch too long but its just a gorgeous hike.

Was a lot of walking. The verkeerdill falls trail took us a while to complete because of all the jagged rocks.

One of my favorite all time hikes. I included the little detour to the ice caves as well. For me the best part about this hike comes after the falls, as you ascend onto the High Point Trail and get one amazing view after another. Long hike but there are not a lot of really steep sections.

Great hike

10.5 miles of beautiful sights! Definitely one of my favorite hikes so far. Beautiful views the whole way made the hike so amazing. The ice caves are definitely worth going a couple miles out of the way for. And the waterfall was another breathtaking view! Though much of it was just walking through trails, there was some rock climbing that will leave you sore the next day (so worth it).

We did the big 5h loop in a myst + drizzle day and it was a lot of fun. The waterfall area is gorgeous. Trail is very well marked with sufficient amount of ascent and descent to make it a challenge but not tire you too much. I would definitely recommend this hike.

NOT FOR DOGS!!! moderately challenging. 80%of the trail has no shade and gets really hot especially for dogs. the first 2 and last 3 miles are all small rocks (the type used in construction) it cut my dogs foot really bad. she could hardly limp back to the car. additionally most of the trail is hopping from rocks (if your bringing dogs it's really difficult terrain for them) overall I would say it's a ok trail with so so view. nothing to write home about. if it's a sunny day you will BAKE. and do NOT bring DOGS.

Awesome and challenging trail

Pretty difficult for me but it was quite beautiful. Disappointed about the ice caves but there was plenty to see without them.

this is probably my favorite NY hike so far. I went on a really foggy day and the burned forest section of the footpath was just jaw-dropping and beautiful in the dense fog! the waterfall is amazing too and if you're ballsy enough, there's some ledges with great viewpoints on both sides of the falls. really recommend this hike! sadly, the ice caves were gated off but they looked awesome too.

great hike

Outstanding trail

Waterfall was beautiful, I’m a beginner hiker and it wasn’t super difficult but I was definitely sore for a few days !

Great place!

This trail is great in every season!

This was a great trail to the falls and around the lake. Note that the ice caves trail is closed, as you can’t enter or even see into the caves due to too much snow.

It was a great trail. Took my two dogs. Beautiful scenery, lots of rock scrambling. Start early!! I started at 11 and finished at 6-ish.

Did the falls to high point and back. Currently, microspikes are not needed, but did help.

For food hit up the Hoot Owl which is about 10minutes away. Stumbled upon it.. great food and atmosphere!

Fun trail with a variety of different landscape. I’d recommend going off trail up through rockier paths whenever you get the chance.

I did this today with my brother (it is January.) After a bit of a heatwave today was a balmy 15 degrees, and all of the snow had melted and then re-froze in the path like a beautiful ice cat walk. There's a solid 3 miles of trail that is completely iced over, and you have to penguin-walk a lot, even with good boots. we fell 3x total. 10/10 will do again.

but seriously, I strongly recommend this in the winter for experienced hikers. A frozen Verkeerderkill Falls is truly spectacular and well worth enduring the cold. There is one section of river that is impossible to cross without dipping a boot, so bag your feet if you're worried about your boots and their water resistance.

Given the very slow moving with the ice, we (ages 26/30) started this at 10:45 and finished at 2:45.

Awesome trail with tons to do. Started in the parking lot at 11am, did the 8.5 mile loop and ice caves and finished at 5pm with a long lunch break