Saint Regis Mountain Trail

Saint Regis Mountain Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Clara, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A relatively easy hike that is fairly level for the first 2 miles and then slowly begins to climb. It maintains a moderate grade until the last .3 where some steep sections are encountered but nothing too difficult and no challenging scrambles. Demanding in the springtime from the melting snow, mud and leftover snow - very rocky, lots of mud and washed out areas of the trail. The summit is wide open and the views are great.

Moderately hard hike. Wide trail for most of it. Gets steep towards the top. Worth the view. Bring bug spray! Don't stop along the way unless you want to get eaten alive. 3 hours total.

Did this today, trail was well maintained, but wet/muddy at parts probably due to the time of year. The bugs were horrible, and my dumbass realized the second I got out of my car that I left my bugspray at home! The summit was very windy and relaxing, I could have laid up there for hours! Fire tower is in good condition, and was open. Hike took 1:30 on the way up and 1:15 on the way down.

Our final hike in the fire tower challenge!
It was hot though and the trails still muddy. The gnats were especially gruesome. Also two garter snakes, one eating a frog. And while we were hiking the wind knocked over two trees not 50 feet from the trail.

Great hike though, a great way to finish a challenge.

This was my last hike of the season on 9/11/16. I have a torn hip labrum and this hike definitely made my hip aware of that. However, this was an AMAZING trail. It's wide and very well marked/maintained. The views are amazing from the bare summit AND the firetower. 110% worth your time and effort.

This was my first winter hike and my first time ever on snowshoes. I felt like it was a really appropriate first choice for a newbie. The ascent wasn't overly steep in the beginning. It really didn't get steep until the very end. I felt like it was easy enough so that it wouldn't scare a novice away, but challenging enough so that I felt quite accomplished after!

The tail was packed down nicely and fairly easy to follow. It snowed while we were climbing, so it was harder to see in some spots. The trail markers became fewer and farther between towards the top, and changed from yellow to red but checking the All Trails app reassured us that we were on track. In all, the trail is very easy to follow, especially if you don't go immediately after a heavy snowfall.

We wore our snowshoes because we weren't sure about the etiquette and thought "better safe than sorry". We passed another group not wearing snowshoes and they didn't seem to be post holing, so we may have been ok without? I think without micro-spikes they may have run into problems higher up. There were definitely very icy spots. Again, we didn't want to take chances and we were anxious to try out our snowshoes anyway!

I would do this trail again in a heartbeat! Even with the snow fall and clouds, there was a lovely view.

A mostly gradual climb on a well-maintained trail. Have done this in autumn and winter. Both times there was lots of people. Magnificent summit view of the Saranac Lakes area. The firetower can be climbed but I was too nervous to go all the way up.

Great hike with amazing views. The first 2 miles are just like walk in the woods. The last mile is where the ascend starts with some rocks scrambles and some rocks have been placed as stairs to make the climb easier. Overall I would rate this as an easy hike. The views are amazing, the summit is 360 with a firetower which can be climbed and accessed. GPS tracking 7.1 miles round trip.

Great for trail running.

Hiked this two days ago with my 3 year old son. The first two miles were smooth sailing, however the final ascent was a bit tricky, especially with a three year old.
Beautiful hike! The views from the summit were fantastic!

One of my favorite hikes with a tough scramble for the last .5 miles. The view from the tower is worth every step. GPS had 6.8 miles RT. A great time hanging out at the summit on the ledges. Friends of St Regis does a great job with this place !

Starts out like any hike and soon I was wondering if I was simply walking a trail. Well that quickly changed a couple miles in. The incline, rocks and water from the nights rain made it pretty strenuous the rest the way up.

After a bit of a difficult final ascent, you reach the summit. Fantastic views.

The best surprise was that the fire tower has been recently restored making for even better views.

This was one of my first hikes for the SaranacLake 6ers and I found it was a good mountain for beginners. It has a very pleasant trailhead and hike through a mixed conifer/hardwood forest with some undulating hills. At mile 2.5 the climb begins to get steep, however the DEC has done a nice job of building rock stairs that really assist in the ascent. The views from the top are amazing -- you get a great northern view of Whiteface/Esther, the Saranac lower, middle, and upper lakes and southern views of Ampersand and the High peaks as well as the Raquette and Regis Canoe Lake areas. Overall a beautiful climb and wonderful experience. Magnificent views for a summer hike.