Saint Regis Mountain Trail

Saint Regis Mountain Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Clara, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A relatively easy hike that is fairly level for the first 2 miles and then slowly begins to climb. It maintains a moderate grade until the last .3 where some steep sections are encountered but nothing too difficult and no challenging scrambles. Demanding in the springtime from the melting snow, mud and leftover snow - very rocky, lots of mud and washed out areas of the trail. The summit is wide open and the views are great.

5 minutes ago

Nice, quick mountain!

I LOVE this mountain. Absolutely wonderful Winter hike. I used microspikes but probably didn't need them. 45 degree day which was awesome. However, it was super windy & cold at the Summit. That was fine. This was my third Summit in under 24 hours (Rattlesnake & Poke-O before it). Amazing way to wrap up things up!

Great hike!!! Easy, but fairly long trail. views on top r stunning!!!

This was a great first snowshoe hike. Took exactly 4 hours. Stunning views.

fantastic views.

Great hike with beautiful views from the top. The bottom 2/3 has a gentile grade. The top gets quite steep. It was quite muddy, but all in all, a really nice hike and for someone who is in good shape but doesn’t do that much hiking, a very manageable and enjoyable trail.

we went yesterday. ..quite muddy in spots towards the top...I was worried about coming down but it was better than I expected. ...we are not experienced hikers...but a great challenge. ..over cast at the top....very windy, but beautiful. ..definitely going again next year

Great hike. Lousy weather but the view is suppose to awesome.

St Regis - 6th and final mountain - Day 3 of the Saranac Lake 6er Challenge - I'm glad I saved this one for last. Very enjoyable and fairly easy trek to the summit. Trail head to summit 1 hr 30 minutes - moderate pace. Trail is well marked, rolling hills, forest and lush canopy and one steep section as you approach the top, but nothing like the boulder staircase at Apersand Mtn. Nice views at the top especially from the restored fire tower. Thank you Friends of the St Regis Fire Tower for all your labor and time to restore the fire tower for others to enjoy - www.friendsofstregis.org/ - Yahoo!!!!! 6 mountains in 3 days and the Saranac Lake 6ers Challenge is complete -time to head back into town to ring the bell at Berkeley Green, drop off my paperwork and money to the Village Clerk's office to have mailed to me my certificate and registration number, patch and sticker - www.saranaclake6er.com Thank you Saranac Lake for being such a nice host city during my 3 day stay.

It was a bitch in the rain but I did it! Very steep in many parts and, for me, an avid walker but novice hiker, it was hard. Glad I had friends to give a hand at times and a trekking pole, especially for the decent. The trail had turned into a stream by then. I can't wait to go back next year in better shape and hike in great weather so I can actually see something when I reach the top!

Great hike! The views were amazing, and adding the view from the fire tower and you have an excellent hike! Took my dad and I about 4.5 hours round trip, with a half hour at the top included.

My advice is be careful when coming down that you follow the trail. We didn't realized we had strayed off, only a tad, and we realized it very quickly, we were able to hop back on the trail. There were paths others had made and we simply followed them, not realizing they weren't the correct path. The path is generally well marked with trail markers and a few larger arrow signs, but right when you come down, past the small amounts of rock scrambles, you can miss the actual trail.

Are you able to go up in the fire tower?

Very good mountain to spend the day on. The first 2/3 are deceptively easy and give you time to get warmed up for the last portion. Close to the summit is quite rocky and is a nice challenge. It's not too hard but it does get the blood flowing. Once at the top the view is amazing. There is a fire tower but be careful on it, I'm 5'9" and I'm a bit too tall for it. I hit my head on the platform on the way up and to get back down I had to sit on the stairs and scoot down on my butt.

Fairly simple hike the first two thirds of the trail before the scramble up. Not too much mud or mosquitoes that I saw, so it was very pleasant and the view was well worth it. The fire tower offers an even better 360 view for amazing photographs of the surrounding lakes and mountains.

Pretty easy climb with amazing payoff at the summit. Fire tower offers 360 view.

Well worth it! Our young teenagers and dog had a great time on this climb. It is on the harder end of Moderate and while we saw some small children at the summit we felt this would be challenging for youth hikers. Mud in a few spots but mostly easy to navigate around. Steep as mentioned in other reviews during the final leg. Views are fantastic with 360 large open slopes to enjoy. A recently renovated fire tower is also open. A great Adirondack experience.

Great long hike! First 2 miles are a breeze and then the last mile or so is steep. It's not HARD but it is steep and will take some extra effort. Great dog friendly trail. My pup and I were both able to go to the top of the fire tower for an amazing view. It was a muddy trail, lots of slipping on rocks on the way down. Took me about 2 1/2 hours and my phone tracked 6.6 miles.

The last mile of the trail can be a little tricky (it had just rained) but the view from the top is well worth it!

Moderate for whom? Not for this fairly fit 21O lb, 65 year old. The last half mile was hard going up and down. Would I ldo it again? You bet! The top revealed astounding views in jewel like colors. I wish I had brought a walking stick.

Wow! This hike is worth it! The trail is beautiful, but challenging. The last mile (like others said) very rapidly inclines on scrambling rock, but it makes the hike very fun! The views at the top are breathtaking with an almost 360 degree view of all the adirondack mountains! This mountain is very popular and we encountered a lot of other hikers, but there is a lot of room at the top so you don't feel so crowded. I will definitely be doing this hike again, as it is fun and the views are like no other!

Muddy but beautiful

Moderate to easy hike. Had the baby in the backpack and the trail was a bit slick which made some parts a challenge. The view was amazing! Definitely worth the hike. Bring bug spray!

Fun afternoon hike on July 20th. Still very buggy, and a bit muddy as previous posters have noted. But the breeze at the summit was lovely to cool us off and keep the bugs away! Great views of the surrounding lakes and peaks from the rocky summit and the fire tower.

Hard, but worth it

Hiked 7/2/17. Trail was muddy and buggy. Wear good hiking shoes. Beautiful view at the top!

Hiked this on 6/10/2017
The trail was well marked but the bugs were horrendous. Bring extra bug spray with you. The bugs at the fire tower were just as bad as on the trail. I planned to take an hour break but could only manage 20 minutes - enough time to take pictures of the view (which is amazing) and head back down.

Moderately hard hike. Wide trail for most of it. Gets steep towards the top. Worth the view. Bring bug spray! Don't stop along the way unless you want to get eaten alive. 3 hours total.

Did this today, trail was well maintained, but wet/muddy at parts probably due to the time of year. The bugs were horrible, and my dumbass realized the second I got out of my car that I left my bugspray at home! The summit was very windy and relaxing, I could have laid up there for hours! Fire tower is in good condition, and was open. Hike took 1:30 on the way up and 1:15 on the way down.

Our final hike in the fire tower challenge!
It was hot though and the trails still muddy. The gnats were especially gruesome. Also two garter snakes, one eating a frog. And while we were hiking the wind knocked over two trees not 50 feet from the trail.

Great hike though, a great way to finish a challenge.

Thursday, March 02, 2017

This was my last hike of the season on 9/11/16. I have a torn hip labrum and this hike definitely made my hip aware of that. However, this was an AMAZING trail. It's wide and very well marked/maintained. The views are amazing from the bare summit AND the firetower. 110% worth your time and effort.