Saint Regis Mountain Trail

Saint Regis Mountain Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Clara, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A relatively easy hike that is fairly level for the first 2 miles and then slowly begins to climb. It maintains a moderate grade until the last .3 where some steep sections are encountered but nothing too difficult and no challenging scrambles. Demanding in the springtime from the melting snow, mud and leftover snow - very rocky, lots of mud and washed out areas of the trail. The summit is wide open and the views are great.

Wow, it is beautiful up here. Hiked with my wife and a great family. Great experience and tremendous views.

Nice view worth the climb ..

Hiked 8-25 pretty easy 2.5 hours up and back little steep at end but to be expected for a adk Firetower

Fantastic trail. Hiked with 8 & 9 year old, they did great. Beautiful view.

This is a great hike with a great view and fire tower at the top. Not too difficult for a Saranac 6 peak. Great trail and rewarding.

Great hike! The last part is definitely a bit challenging, but fine if you take your time. We had the mountain to ourselves at 7:30 AM on a Friday — just passed a few groups on our way down. My 12 year-old son wanted me to warn you all about the cobwebs this early though!

Very well kept trail! For the first couple miles it is fairly flat with smaller gains in elevation. Once you cross the foot bridge the grade increases and continues until you get to the top. When the trail becomes more stone you are close to the summit. There is a foot path that goes right just before the fire tower. This provides some views but nothing like what you will see if you stay to the left. Total hike time was 3 hours with 30 minutes at the top.

We took a group of 15 teenaged boys on this hike. The weather was very hot but all the boys made the hike without much trouble. The view was awesome.

Awesome hike. Major bang for your buck with the type of summit and views you hope for when hiking any mountain, plus this has a fire tower up top making it even better. I saw a lot of deer on this hike too. Not terribly hard, hike took under 4 hours at a decent pace with a good 30 minutes on top. A few longer climbs but the trail is broken up nicely so it’s not too tiring. One id do again for sure. For a small hike near Saranac Lake, it’s one of the better choices.

great hike! I'm from the flat lands of the Midwest so the last bit was a challenge, but well worth it! the views at the top are spectacular. climbed the fire tower to top off the visability. buggy throughout and muddy at spots, but hey, you're in the woods, what do you expect. come prepared for these conditions and you will not be disappointed!

Hiked 6/19/18 as part of a double header with Azure. Nice maintained trail in the woods as about the last 1 mile or so it became steeper. Only took about 4 hours round trip to complete. Nice open summit with a nice restored fire tower that gave awesome views. Fire tower # 22

Went here with my five year old son and nine year old daughter, had an amazing time. Hike was a bit challenging for them but we managed to make it to the summit. Once at the summit my daughter was so proud of herself for making up her second peak. On the way back down about 2.25 miles down I did spot a bear about 75 yards off the trail which made for a bit of a pucker moment. Luckily we got off the trail unscathed. Overall though it made for a great hike and great memories.

This hike is mostly gradual, but the last bit gets steep. The 360 degree views at the top were amazing. Make sure to bring your bug spray!

Excellent, fun trail with some challenging spots which led to a sense of accomplishment when you reached the beautiful views up top!

awesome trail with a challenging last quarter of a mile. Great summit, other than the flies. climb the firetower to escape them. no crampons needed for anyone unsure like us - save the weight

Great hike with awesome views from the top. Not too much mud as of today, just small sections of it. Aside from the black flies, ugh, a great place to spend the day outside. Lots of parking at the trailhead too.

Very good trail.

Nice, quick mountain!

I LOVE this mountain. Absolutely wonderful Winter hike. I used microspikes but probably didn't need them. 45 degree day which was awesome. However, it was super windy & cold at the Summit. That was fine. This was my third Summit in under 24 hours (Rattlesnake & Poke-O before it). Amazing way to wrap up things up!

Great hike!!! Easy, but fairly long trail. views on top r stunning!!!

This was a great first snowshoe hike. Took exactly 4 hours. Stunning views.

fantastic views.

Great hike with beautiful views from the top. The bottom 2/3 has a gentile grade. The top gets quite steep. It was quite muddy, but all in all, a really nice hike and for someone who is in good shape but doesn’t do that much hiking, a very manageable and enjoyable trail.

we went yesterday. ..quite muddy in spots towards the top...I was worried about coming down but it was better than I expected. ...we are not experienced hikers...but a great challenge. ..over cast at the top....very windy, but beautiful. ..definitely going again next year

Great hike. Lousy weather but the view is suppose to awesome.

St Regis - 6th and final mountain - Day 3 of the Saranac Lake 6er Challenge - I'm glad I saved this one for last. Very enjoyable and fairly easy trek to the summit. Trail head to summit 1 hr 30 minutes - moderate pace. Trail is well marked, rolling hills, forest and lush canopy and one steep section as you approach the top, but nothing like the boulder staircase at Apersand Mtn. Nice views at the top especially from the restored fire tower. Thank you Friends of the St Regis Fire Tower for all your labor and time to restore the fire tower for others to enjoy - www.friendsofstregis.org/ - Yahoo!!!!! 6 mountains in 3 days and the Saranac Lake 6ers Challenge is complete -time to head back into town to ring the bell at Berkeley Green, drop off my paperwork and money to the Village Clerk's office to have mailed to me my certificate and registration number, patch and sticker - www.saranaclake6er.com Thank you Saranac Lake for being such a nice host city during my 3 day stay.

Saturday, September 16, 2017

It was a bitch in the rain but I did it! Very steep in many parts and, for me, an avid walker but novice hiker, it was hard. Glad I had friends to give a hand at times and a trekking pole, especially for the decent. The trail had turned into a stream by then. I can't wait to go back next year in better shape and hike in great weather so I can actually see something when I reach the top!

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Great hike! The views were amazing, and adding the view from the fire tower and you have an excellent hike! Took my dad and I about 4.5 hours round trip, with a half hour at the top included.

My advice is be careful when coming down that you follow the trail. We didn't realized we had strayed off, only a tad, and we realized it very quickly, we were able to hop back on the trail. There were paths others had made and we simply followed them, not realizing they weren't the correct path. The path is generally well marked with trail markers and a few larger arrow signs, but right when you come down, past the small amounts of rock scrambles, you can miss the actual trail.

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Are you able to go up in the fire tower?

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Very good mountain to spend the day on. The first 2/3 are deceptively easy and give you time to get warmed up for the last portion. Close to the summit is quite rocky and is a nice challenge. It's not too hard but it does get the blood flowing. Once at the top the view is amazing. There is a fire tower but be careful on it, I'm 5'9" and I'm a bit too tall for it. I hit my head on the platform on the way up and to get back down I had to sit on the stairs and scoot down on my butt.