Saint Regis Mountain Trail

Saint Regis Mountain Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Clara, New York that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A relatively easy hike that is fairly level for the first 2 miles and then slowly begins to climb. It maintains a moderate grade until the last .3 where some steep sections are encountered but nothing too difficult and no challenging scrambles. Demanding in the springtime from the melting snow, mud and leftover snow - very rocky, lots of mud and washed out areas of the trail. The summit is wide open and the views are great.

It was a bitch in the rain but I did it! Very steep in many parts and, for me, an avid walker but novice hiker, it was hard. Glad I had friends to give a hand at times and a trekking pole, especially for the decent. The trail had turned into a stream by then. I can't wait to go back next year in better shape and hike in great weather so I can actually see something when I reach the top!

Great hike! The views were amazing, and adding the view from the fire tower and you have an excellent hike! Took my dad and I about 4.5 hours round trip, with a half hour at the top included.

My advice is be careful when coming down that you follow the trail. We didn't realized we had strayed off, only a tad, and we realized it very quickly, we were able to hop back on the trail. There were paths others had made and we simply followed them, not realizing they weren't the correct path. The path is generally well marked with trail markers and a few larger arrow signs, but right when you come down, past the small amounts of rock scrambles, you can miss the actual trail.

Are you able to go up in the fire tower?

Very good mountain to spend the day on. The first 2/3 are deceptively easy and give you time to get warmed up for the last portion. Close to the summit is quite rocky and is a nice challenge. It's not too hard but it does get the blood flowing. Once at the top the view is amazing. There is a fire tower but be careful on it, I'm 5'9" and I'm a bit too tall for it. I hit my head on the platform on the way up and to get back down I had to sit on the stairs and scoot down on my butt.

Fairly simple hike the first two thirds of the trail before the scramble up. Not too much mud or mosquitoes that I saw, so it was very pleasant and the view was well worth it. The fire tower offers an even better 360 view for amazing photographs of the surrounding lakes and mountains.

Pretty easy climb with amazing payoff at the summit. Fire tower offers 360 view.

Well worth it! Our young teenagers and dog had a great time on this climb. It is on the harder end of Moderate and while we saw some small children at the summit we felt this would be challenging for youth hikers. Mud in a few spots but mostly easy to navigate around. Steep as mentioned in other reviews during the final leg. Views are fantastic with 360 large open slopes to enjoy. A recently renovated fire tower is also open. A great Adirondack experience.

Great long hike! First 2 miles are a breeze and then the last mile or so is steep. It's not HARD but it is steep and will take some extra effort. Great dog friendly trail. My pup and I were both able to go to the top of the fire tower for an amazing view. It was a muddy trail, lots of slipping on rocks on the way down. Took me about 2 1/2 hours and my phone tracked 6.6 miles.

The last mile of the trail can be a little tricky (it had just rained) but the view from the top is well worth it!

Moderate for whom? Not for this fairly fit 21O lb, 65 year old. The last half mile was hard going up and down. Would I ldo it again? You bet! The top revealed astounding views in jewel like colors. I wish I had brought a walking stick.