Rocky Point Trail

Rocky Point Trail is a 10.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Rocky Point, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

As a hiking trail, this is just OK. The terrain is pretty even, the woods are quiet, and the wildlife is abundant--but this trail is owned by mountain bikers. A fine crew but a fast one, which requires that you pay attention to who/what's coming up behind you.

I got a solid 8 miles out of this park by setting off at the trailhead and linking up with the series of foot paths that start about a 1/2 mile in. I went from the blue trail to the yellow to the red to make a big loop that made the most of this pine barren park, while avoiding/not inconveniencing the bikers. If you follow my advice, keep an eye on your GPS as you approach the connections to the other colored trails. They can be easy to miss.

Set out early! I started at 5:30am and was the only person around. When I existed the wood around 9am the lot was completely full.

Along the way, I startled a few deer, found a turtle eating a mushroom on the trail, spotted a slew of birds, and past a bunch of knee high anthills.

It was my first time Mountain biking and I loved it! Can't wait to do it again

A great 9.5 mile loop! Very well marked, (a couple of tricky spots, but nothing serious) excellent single track. For the most part it is fairly flat except for one hill. There is never really anyone else out there. I have ran it many many times now and will continue to do so. Trails are buffed out, no roots or rocks. Just watch out for chiggers and ticks in the summer time. Spray bug spray all over socks, sneakers, legs and the rest of your body. Got a bad case of chiggers when I didn't spray myself in August. Otherwise, you should be good. No hiking/running in January, firearm hunting season

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Theres a sign at the beginning that says something like "hunting permitted from October to April". Really? An environmental conservation area where people hike and bicycle is also a hunting ground? Yes, some of the trail markers and signs are blasted with buckshot holes. But as a biking trail, it's enjoyable. Probably a lot more adrenaline inducing after October 1st though, when some kid with a 20 gauge shot gun could mistake you for a deer. I'd go again.

Saturday, March 26, 2016

I would never consider this a moderate trail -- it is flat and easy. There are lots of small, inconspicuous, as well as major trails off the trail shown on this app. They are fun and circuitous, but I would recommend a GPS if you are going to try this, as the area is large and you could get lost.

Wednesday, December 02, 2015

great trail, I've done is many many times ,,great combination of hills it could be as hard or as easy as you wanted to be... hiking trails throughout

Monday, October 19, 2015

Pretty good for biking

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Awesome

Sunday, May 10, 2015

nice trail but it's gotten a bit sandy in some areas of the trial. overall I like the trail but it needs to be marked better I prefer cathedral pines over this

Saturday, August 31, 2013

What has happened to my beloved rocky point post sandy. A lot of sand and erosion. A new section by campsite that's tough to ride over. It's like a hilly furrows material. Don't like it as much as I used to. Would probably opt for cathedral pines when I'm out there. Only drawback is the cost to ride cathedral.

Wednesday, July 03, 2013

These trails are best with a hard tail 29er. I bring my full suspension cannon dale when I come out to visit my inlaws so I can get away and ride but it is not needed for these trails. Completed the entire loop in about two hours. Not very technical, a lot of the same smooth single track as manorville hills. I would give rocky point the slight advantage due to the variety and challenge of navigating.

Monday, June 10, 2013

Road this trail for the first time with my wife, daughter and friend and all I can say it was a great experience and look forward to riding it again. Being newbies we were very content completing the ride. The trail is marked very well which made the ride that much better.

Thursday, May 02, 2013

Great trail. Love the halfway point with the fast downhill with all the twists and turns! What a rush

Friday, August 31, 2012

I'm ready to start mountain biking again, can't wait for rocky point, this is one of my favorite trail around. Back about three year ago I did the loop including all the black diamonds in 79 min. How is going to beat that?? Jaja.. Let me know how you do..!!!

Friday, July 20, 2012

Awesome trails. Love them. A good loop is 20-25 mikes long. Take every mogul possible. They're great. I travel 35 miles just to ride these trails.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Kicked my butt! Very confusing at least for the first time. Did about 18 miles got lost at mile 12. Needs more signs. Got a few ticks on me but flicked them off while riding. Bring lots of water! Moderate black diamonds but coupled with the distance it was tough. Happy trails!

Friday, June 01, 2012

Hike was really great! Make sure you bring the bug spray and make sure it had DEET in it!!! The ticks were abundant, and that is an understatement.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Separate hiking, biking, and horse trails in the 5000 acres. Hiking trails are newly blazed. 3 mile and 10 mile hiking loops.
Get the free 3 year permit and trail maps from DEC site:

Saturday, November 05, 2011

Wanted to add and agree to the first review. It can be confusing trying to get off the trail early. There are maps at the trail head, grab one. My first time i couldn't figure out how to leave. I went out onto 25a and rode the street back. As long as your ready willing to do the 13.2 mile loop you can follow the main loop signs an get back to your car. It's a lot of fun tho

Saturday, November 05, 2011

I actually happened upon this trail by chance. And love it. I've rode this trail about 4-5 times now and never get board of it. There are side trails with different skill levels so you can do something different every time. It is a one way trail so you cant turn around. You have to finish or find another way out in a bail out trail so bring everything you might need. If you ride the trail after it rained, dont wear good cloths haha. Enjoy.