Roaring Brook Trail to Giant Mountain

Roaring Brook Trail to Giant Mountain is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Keene Valley, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was my 3rd time hiking Giant, but my first time hiking this trail. Nice trail with a few rock scrambles here and there but I enjoyed this way up to Giant.

Hiked this last Friday! It was a challenging but shorter mileage hike. It is the first of the year so we went pretty slow took us about 7 hours for the entire hike, with hanging on top for a while. Amazing views and the trail was dry. Have to go back and do rocky peak ridge though! Will probably go up the other side (shorter trail) to hit that one. Loved it - ready to hike again 落落

This should be graded hard not moderate.

Was very happy with this hike. This took me about 3 hours and 30 minutes to get to the top and about 2 hours and 30 minutes to get back to the parking lot. This trail was marked very well going up the path but I found no red foot trail markers on the way down. The water source is towards the bottom of the trail so make sure to stock up at that the first decent water source you see before making your way up giant mountain.

On the trail, you will see a lot of outshoot trails to “view spots”. Many people miss the views because the climb up the mountain becomes steep fast.

Make sure to bring a snacks for the top so you can refuel for the down climb. I wish I would have brought trecking poles for this hike because my knees definitely are feeling it after that down climb.

Took me 6.5 hours.. no good views til you get towards the top. The view from the top was pretty amazing, although you could only see off one side of the mountain because of dense spruces you can’t even walk through.

decided to do my first hike ever on Giant mountain. What a mistake that was. I made it to the summit in 4 hours and it took me 3 hours to get down. By the time I got to my car I could barely walk. The next day I was completely out of commission.

Not many views until you get above 3000 ft. Trail was wet in spots, but no real muddy spots. Very rewarding views at the top.

Perfect day, cold and crisp, beautiful views!

It was a very challenging trail, it took 4 hours to get up in 3 hours to get down. Snow shoes are a must with the snowy and icy conditions. Over all it was a great hike and I would definitely do it again.

Interestingly, I used this trailhead by accident...I was actually aiming for the primary trailhead and the ridge trail. About 2/3 of the way up, I'm asking my wife and daughter "Where are the views that were supposed to be all along this route?" But, even so, we weren't disappointed. And yes, the last .7 mi is a killer. But well worth the views at the top!

Spectacular climb to the summit of Giant Mountain. Its a steep and long climb but breathtaking at the conclusion.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Challenging but a lot of fun and entirely worth the effort! The views from the top of Giant are breathtaking.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Hiked up to the top of giant from the roaring brook trail head. took a group of us about 4 hours round trip with two having no hiking experience at all. beautiful summit and brook. would definitely recommend

Monday, July 31, 2017