Rim Trail and Gorge Trail Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(572)
Robert H. Treman State Park

Rim Trail and Gorge Trail Loop is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Ithaca, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 820 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

Note: The Gorge Trail and Red Pine Trail are currently closed until early June. For more information, please see https://parks.ny.gov/parks/135/details.aspx Note: The Gorge Trail is closed during winter.

Did Rim trail up and Gorge down, as you are directed to do during COVID so that you dont end up running face to face with any oncoming traffic. Puzzles me that some people still disregarded the rule. Also, wear the mask! From the few people I ran into, only a few had masks. The trail is really great though, especially the gorge trail. Go early to avoid crowds.

Only Rim trail was opened, Gorge trail was closed :(

-1 star for the crowd and the baffling lack of masks. seriously people, I was able to do it out and back, the whole way, and wear a mask, despite weighing over 350 lbs! beautiful trail, difficult for newcomers, but littered with humans unwilling to honor basic public health requirements for pandemics!

closed

Really disappointed in our visit today. We quickly decided to get off the rim trail almost as soon as we got on because social distancing is not possible on the narrow trail, and there were a lot of people not wearing masks and not respecting distance/not paying attention to the space around them. Had multiple people almost bump into us both on the trail and down at the lower pool (despite there being a lot of space there). Maybe we’ll actually be able to enjoy the trail next time, because it seems beautiful

Overall nice trail, well maintained with good views. Lot of people not wearing masks...6 ft can not be maintained thru most of the trail. We did out and back as the gorge trail is currently closed. Disappointed in the people using the trail more than the trail itself, shame to see such blatant disrespect. The park has posted signs everywhere to wear masks and provided distance in the parking areas.

Only the rim trail is open. Go early even during the week it got crowded. Hard to social distance on the narrow path. But people are mostly respectful. Will for sure come back once covid is over to do the gorge portion of the trail and it’s less crowded.

Gorge Trail closed as of this review. Rim Trail was well maintained, provided terrific views with access to pristine pools and dog friendly. Subtract a star for Gorge Trail being closed.

Beautiful place with lots of waterfalls! Lots of stairs too!!!

Did this on the way out of town and wow. It should get more credit - beautiful waterfalls and trail. We did the gorge trail to Lucifer falls. Other than some elevation gain the trail isn’t too hard.

One of my favorite trails, in my favorite parks! A beautiful hike up and back down the rim trail since the gorge is out, but you still have great views the entire time.

Beautiful views of the falls. Gorge trail is currently closed.

Just down and back on The Rim. The Gorge Trail is closed

Great trail. Clean and well kept, beautiful waterfall

I’ve hiked this trail several times in the 13 years I’ve lived in the area. It’s always so pleasant and clean. My dogs love it here, I say this is definitely their favorite.

icy

My brother and I had a great time on this hike. It was a rainy day and NO ONE else was here. Lots of nice views. We only did Rim trail gorge was closed but it was still a good distance. The end of the trail up to the mill was also closed but it was ok. We ended at a nice big water fall and then walked back quickly through the rain. Took 2 hours at a moderate pace.

closed

Hiked the Rim Trail today to the Old Mill. The Gorge Trail was closed for the season. Park rangers warned that the Cliff Stairs towards the end of the Rim Trail may also close soon. Even though it was a little rainy and muddy, the view of Lucifer Falls was great, and it was nice to have the park to ourselves

Gorge ous!

Walking Lilie (sp, "Leelee") the White Bellied Caique with Yasmine, Maddie and Frank

Perfect trail for a fall hike! The waterfalls are breathtaking.

This is one of my favorite trails on the east coast! It’s less crowded than Watkins Glen and prettier in my opinion. The trail was well-marked. The views every turn were gorgeous (pun intended).

We love this hike; both the Upper and the Lower Falls are picturesque!! The color is just starting. My dog was sad that I wouldn’t let her swim (blue green algae concerns) but otherwise had a terrific time, as always. Only one tick, which is great. We camped - it is just as noce as Taughannock for camping (and Treman has updated showers now!!

The Gorge trail features many waterfall views and had a lot of steep rock steps. I went up the Gorge trail and came back in the rim Trail which was much less strenuous but was not as scenic. A nice walk in the woods. There is a point on Rim trail that it forks off. I chose the left side which brought me back to the parking lot. I have no idea where the right side lead to. All in all, it was a great day of hiking with many beautiful views Well marked

We had several attractions to see today so we did not do entire loop. Went to lower park entrance and took short walk to lower falls. We then started up Gorge trail but after half mile, realized that section is mostly just a steep walk in woods. We came back down and drove to upper entrance and came in Gorge trail from top. Almost immediately greeted by awesome narrow gorge with cascades and waterfalls. We hiked to Lucifer Falls and shortly after, trail returned to basically hike through woods. If your goal is waterfalls and narrow gorges.. visit lower falls then drive to upper entrance and hike to falls and back. Not knocking the entire trail though. I'm sure it is great if time allows.

Very Scenic. Did the rim and gorge trail loop. The rim trail is not scenic. I recommend the gorge trail there and back we went on a Sunday and it was well attended but not crowded.

Beautiful trail in the shade with many steps. Recommend for people that are fit as half of the trail you go up. Gorgeous views of the waterfalls!