Rim & Gorge Trail

Rim & Gorge Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ithaca, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Amazing trail. I was initially disappointed that it was raining my only day in Ithaca but turned out for the best. There were hardly any people to contend with and it cooled me off on what couldn’t been a tough hike/trail run. I did a lollipop loop where I started at the south lot took a left halfway through to get the rim trail and then got back on the gorge trail at the north lot. Another advantage to parking the south lot was a cold refreshing dip afterwards!

We started from the south lot so we did all the elevation first, a lot of steps and inclines in this direction but not terrible. The views are spectacular from the rim and the gorge side once alongside the falls. The step on the rim trail took a good bit of effort but I was looking for that. If you’re looking for an easier route than you could Park 2 cars, one at each lot and start from the north to mostly skip the inclines. Really amazing spot and well maintained.

Definitely a well maintained man made trail. A good workout and a beautiful view.

Fantastic hike today with a refreshing dip at the end at the lower falls ... highly recommend this spot if you are in the Finger Lakes region.

Very lovely views, lots of nice spots to sit along the way. SOOO MANY STEPS! Picnic area was very nice. One of the better waterfall hikes upstate.

Lots of vertical change. Trail heavily trafficked. Not to bad around dusk.

It was very fun but very heavily trafficked.

Each water fall is fantastic and there are multiple spots to take a dip. The stone work and stairs make it seem like some pathway to a castle out of a movie.

beautiful scenic trails. started at lower rim trail ro upper rim trail. would not have seen Lucifer Falls had we not continued on upper trail. took the gorge trail back down. moderate for beginners, but not impossible.

Beautiful hike- just too populated and the trails are narrow. We completed the entire hike- all 5.6 miles, just out of preference, I would opt another trail purely for the sake of ease of manipulation of crowds.

Great trail! We did the Rim Trail all the way up to the upper level. There's tons of spots for great pictures. Some people venture off the trails (Although, I'm not sure it's allowed per park signs) and waded/ sat in the rivers. We wore boots even though a lot of the trail was paved/gravel, an old pair of tennis shoes would be fine. There are some inclines if you go up the Rim Trail to the top, which can leave you winded. Traffic wasn't terrible either until you got to the actual falls, where people were taking pictures.
We were told by some couples to avoid taking the right at one of the splits, as there is no stairs and its just an uphill climb (more difficult). Once at the top we came back down at turned right at the bridge that has a gate on it. After crossing the bridge, it will take you down to the swimming hole where there is lifeguards and a diving board right in front of the falls. I wish we would have brought swimsuits for this. Definitely pack some river clothes, swimsuits if you have kids, its something they would definitely enjoy.

This trail was amazing: physically is was just challenging enough to break a sweat and get a good work out, aesthetically it was beautiful, it is well marked and maintained, and you can go swimming if you want to take a break. I would definitely do this again and I probably will. It was short enough that a round trip took just over two hours at a moderate pace with two people total (one experienced hiker, one beginner).

Nice hike just did a short loop. Nice water flow today very enjoyable

Excellent trails. Wonderful views and a Hell of a workout, a lot of stairs. I would like to try the Red Pines trail off the Gorge trail. Perfect hike with Sun, shade mud puddles and lots of wildlife! Great to see families out hiking!

I have done this trail several times and I love it every time. it is beautiful and a hell.of a workout with all the stairs. Love it !

Prettiest and coolest thing I have ever seen in my life... and I am not easily impressed.

A good work out (if you like climbing stairs!). Beauty all the way up the gorge trail. Haven’t tried the Rim trail yet.

This was my favorite in Ithaca this far. Start by taking the gorge trail then loop to the rim trail- this will provide great views facing the waterfalls then it's like a walk in the woods.

Great trail up through the Gorge to Bear trail to the Lake & back down to the Rim Trail. Didn’t record, easy trail to follow. Steps up the falls aren’t easy but a good workout. Sights are amazing through the gorge trail.

Absolutely beautiful hike! We were there on a rainy day and we took the staircase downward! The waterfall was Gorgeous and the dog loved the little rocky ponds she could play in at the top of the falls!

Great hike with tons of shade and spectacular falls and vistas.

Gorge trail still closed, but you can walk a little way up Gorge from Old Mill parking
Impressive what water can cut through
Took Rim trail up to Lucifer Falls and down all those steps to bottom of falls. Unless you plan on wading out to bottom of falls, stay on top and enjoy view of the entire falls
Trillium ( mainly white with a few purple) and Jack in the Pulpit along trail

amazing views, great hike, worth the visit!

Really wonderful trail, it’s a bit intense if you aren’t used to climbing stairs. The gorge trail was closed when we went, but the rim trail was great and I think the other trail looked just as good if not better.

The gorge side is still closed. But out and back on the rim side is great too, so it’s a 4.5-5 mike out and back.

A little challenging workout on the way out. The first mile is uphill. Lots of roots and some loose rock but footing is fine. Several sections have steep steps.

A little busy today but clean, dry trails. Great views. Could easily get off the trail to make the hike and views more interesting.

Looking forward to trying the gorge side.

Was able to do half of the Loop.. Rim trail to the big water fall roughly 4 miles up and back. (Main parking lot to top lot and back).
Gorge Trail is still closed due to trees on most of the trail on that side.
A long steady uphill climb to the Big Falls...a great hike/workout...you can get to the stream if you need water with filter..good clear trail on Rim side. Great views..will be back to do the loop when open...

Very enjoyable hike

Nice park, the parking fee is $8.00 and both the rim and gorge trail lead to Lucifer falls. If you choose to climb the 222 steps to the overlook of Lucifer falls enjoy the view! Been coming here since I was a kid!

This is a great trail and a "must visit" for those exploring Cayuga waterfalls.

This trail is deceiving. The rim trail with the steps is more difficult than expected. Be careful of the terrain, it has a lot of roots and loose gravel