Reist Sanctuary Yellow Trail Loop

Reist Sanctuary Yellow Trail Loop is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Hawthorne Hill, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Saw a lot of deer on the trail this morning. Absolutely beautiful weather. Came across a few large downed trees, but not many. You can tell someone is maintaining the trail. Everything is in very good condition. Being a beginner, this has become my go to trail for running.

I hiked the entire Yellow Trail and Blue Trail today with a friend. We had a very nice hike! It is a bit buggy but the insect repellent we used was very effective. There was some mud in a few places, but not bad at all. The trails are very well-marked and generally well-groomed, with the exception of a few fallen trees/large branches that you kind of have to crawl under/around. It was not the most scenic hike, but it was very peaceful. It was mostly flat with just a few small hills and almost the entirety of it was forest that was not particularly dense with trees. I would highly recommend it to just about anyone!

Buggy. Poorly maintained in a few spots. Broken bridges etc. some wet spots but some have boardwalks or logs that others have laid to use as stepping stones. Saw one deer standing in the middle of the trail. Overall it was nice and would do it again.

The northern park of this trail area is awesome; nice track, ups and downs, meandering thru the wood; the southern section though is quite muddy ... some boardwalks do exist but after a rain it will be muddy and flooded. I wouldn’t recommend the southern area to kids or animals until it dries out.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

I'm not usually one to complain about bugs when I'm outside, where most bugs do live, but this place was seriously buggy. I also brought along my small dog and she had a blast and loved it, though there was some Glass on the blue trail so I had to carry her a bit and also some of the boards on the bridges were spaced pretty widely and I had to carry her across so she wouldn't hurt herself. Otherwise an easy, pleasant walk.

Monday, January 16, 2017

I hiked this trail this afternoon with my daughter, It was a great, flat trail with several bridges over the wet spots. It took us about an hour to hike the yellow, blue and red trail loop from the Oakmont St. trailhead. There was no snow or ice in the woods and we had a great time looking at woodpecker holes and climbing ancient sand dunes. The highlight was seeing eleven deer run by us just before we came back to the parking area,. My daughter was thrilled.

Monday, July 03, 2017