Learn more

Reeves Brook Loop Trail is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sloatsburg, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 3.8 mi Elevation gain 872 ft Route type Loop
Dog friendly Hiking Nature trips Cave Forest Lake River Views Waterfall Wildlife Muddy Rocky Scramble
Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

The Trailhead is at Reeves Meadow. Reeves Brook trail offers gorgeous streams and waterfalls up to Chipmunk Mountain where you''ll meet rock scrambles and nice views.

845-786-2781

Photos (1297)
Recordings (1044)
Completed (2179)
Berj Bahtiarian
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 14, 2020
Hiking

Always a nice pleasant hike along the stream.

View Berj's Recording
J C-C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 14, 2020
Hiking

We followed the comments and did white, blue, orange to red. Holy moly! when you get to the Rock and it says blue you have to climb the mountain it's true! stay towards the right as you scale the scramble and it's not so bad. beautiful vistas after the scramble, then a few more elevations until you start to go down. It's very rocky at some parts, other parts are narrow with poison ivy. Worth it though!

View J's Recording
Simon Dosovitz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 13, 2020
Hiking

Tough first half! Relaxed on the way back. Go counterclockwise. It’s white > blue > red.

View Simon's Recording
Apurva Gupta
HikingGreat!

Start counter clockwise, follow white markers till the intersection of Reeves and Seven Hills trail. Follow blue then orange and finally red markers all way back to the parking lot. Very popular hiking spot. Small parking lot at the visitor center ..

Samuel Perez
Hiking

Really fun! Our dog was a champ on the rock climb. Definitely go counter clockwise

View Samuel's Recording
Boaz Livny
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 13, 2020

Harriman State Park, Reeve’s Brook to Seven Hills and then join Pine Meadow Lake trail till the lake and back on the red trail. Reeve’s to seven hill going up Was very nice at the top. Great views, small scramble going up. Trail marked very well for each color (white - blue then red)

View Boaz's Recording
Kellie Walton
Hiking

Not very well marked but a good trail with two spots for views

View Kellie's Recording
Stephanie Reimer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 13, 2020

pretty busy

View Stephanie's Recording
Constantine Shinghirtis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 9, 2020
View Constantine's Recording
Adrianna Gibaldi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 7, 2020
HikingRocky

Took our 4 month old lab to his first “real time” hike - he and we did really well. We did this route clockwise. Challenging in spots in its own regard, but definitely moderate. The white trail splits and leads you to believe you’re gonna have to climb a vertical cliff (blue)...bare right. Some trees down but definitive footpaths around. Haven’t had rain this week and didn’t see any stream whatsoever on the white/blue trail. Overall 4/5 stars

Natalia A
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 7, 2020

Beautiful trail, I started counter clockwise and was really glad I did it based on other reviews. The clime portion absolutely should be done upward. I had with me my dog, pitbull, 64lbs and this clime was pretty hard for her, I had to push her and lift but we did it and I couldn't imagine if we had to go down this way. From white to blue, I reached red trail and extended it to the right to reach Pine Meadow lake which is about 20 min. walk and then we returned via red to parking lot to complete the loop. It took us 4 hours with 45m. rest on the lake. Only first portion up to middle of blue trail is gained elevation, after it's either down or flat but rocky. Great trail, give you some work out but not exausting with pleasant lake view as extra option to add.

Nelson Castellanos
View Nelson's Recording
Majed Saada
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2020
View Majed's Recording
Michel Tambwe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 6, 2020
Hiking

Great Sunday a lot people but the social distance was in place thx NYS

View Michel's Recording
Joshua Skolnick
View Joshua's Recording
Lizzie Herring
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 5, 2020
HikingGreat!

Counter clockwise was the move would not want to try the rock scramble on the way down. Our 15lb dog managed it with a little assistance. Trail isn’t well marked. A good little workout!

Khoa Nguyen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020
Nature tripsGreat!Scramble

We started out counterclockwise and barely encountered anyone else on the trail despite the crazy amount of cars parked along the road sides. This was because everyone was interested in heading to the lake (which was NOT part of this loop). If you're only interested in the lake, take the trail to the left. There is one climb that is very steep towards the top and requires scrambling. It is doable even if you're not in the best shape. My dog and his friends loved it! You may have to carry smaller dogs if they're not able to make the jump and that will make it more challenging for you. This is another reason choosing the counterclockwise direction is better. I would not have enjoyed going down this very steep part. It's definitely safer going up. The view at the top was amazing! Overall the trails are well marked but we veered off a few times so the overall trip was longer. My group also decided to make a detour to the tiny waterfall and the lake near the end which was definitely worth it! I really enjoyed every aspect of nature this hike offered. The woods, the open clearance, the lush terrain, the brook, the waterfall, and the lake. It was very peaceful. Please note, if you decide to go to the lake, traffic can be very heavy. Most of the trail is clean but toward the lake there is a giant pile of trash which is a bit upsetting.

View Khoa's Recording
Vivek Martins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 5, 2020
HikingScramble

The trail was fine, we encountered a copperhead snake. It can be difficult to sight some of the white markers sometimes. Do keep an eye out for when to switch to the other trails. We started counterclockwise as recommended. On the intersection of the blue square and white marker trail, we encountered the copperhead, it was so well camouflaged that we didn't realize until we were an arms length away from it. After a good bit of staying still and backing away slowly, the snake seemed to follow us, blocking our path forward. We were able to circumnavigate around it safely. We also encountered a smaller snake earlier, also on the trail. Keep an eye out.

Rob Mazzilli
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 4, 2020
Hiking

Rocky, Challenging, Great Views, Took my 10 yr old son. Cool river.

View Rob's Recording
Christine Mednick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 4, 2020
Hiking

If you plan on following this particular trail as delineated on All Trails know that there many other off trails along the way and it’s not always clearly marked. We started off on a red and white trail, followed by a blue and white trail and finally the white trail to finish off the loop. Thankfully All Trails is good about letting you know when you’ve gone astray!

View Christine's Recording
Daphna Tsachor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 31, 2020
HikingGreat!

The scramble was not as scary as we expected... We did it with a 5yo, it was challenging but totally doable! Keep in mind that if you do this clockwise, the last leg of the trail has some beautiful spots amongst streams and brooks - amazing for a snack break or a picnic. We didn't know and by the time we got there it was already pretty late and we had no more snacks to enjoy :)

Marcus Velelis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 30, 2020
HikingGreat!

I really enjoyed this hike. It checked a lot of boxes in that it had diverse terrain, was challenging but overly so, excellent vistas, and some water/streams while we're at it. I took the counterclockwise route, which I think I prefer as I was happier going up the rock scramble rather than down. I saw several kids on the trail but I did not bring mine along (preschoolers) since it would have been very challenging for them. I brought my dog, who LOVED it, but I would warn anyone else considering it to make sure that your dog can handle more challenging routes and climbs. I would think smaller breeds would have a rough time. All in all, I would recommend. Just try to get there early as the trail-head can get quite crowded. Also note that there are NO BATHROOMS at the moment due to COVID.

Gabrielle Procopio
Hiking

Overall some challenging spots including a scramble which I would not call moderate at all. This is a beautiful trail with great vistas but not moderate

View Gabrielle's Recording
Chip Ruhnke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 30, 2020

Nice mix of forest streams and rigorous hill climb with vistas. Be sure to loop clockwise so you are doing down hill when you reach 100 yards of steep rocks (at the southernmost point). Many stream beds; might be impassable after rain.

Jay Rossi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 29, 2020
View Jay's Recording
Andrew Lees
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 28, 2020
Hiking

Most excellent loop trail with a nice steep bit and a brook. Nice woodlands and views at the top too!

View Andrew's Recording
Amrit Vashishtha
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 27, 2020
HikingGreat!RockyScramble

The trail has become one of my favorite trails. I am glad I did it. I went early morning, there were very few people at the time. I got lost once, wasn't paying enough attention to the signs. I would recommend doing the counterclockwise loop, starting on the right. Great for a morning workout!