Red Hill Fire Tower Trail

Red Hill Fire Tower Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grahamsville, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

scenic driving

Quick hike. Tower is closed for the season. I had no views since there were a lot of low clouds. Trail is well marked and will be back.

A good trail, well marked where it needs to be. There's a fork near the fire tower that has an option to the "spring", which I didn't know about going in. If I had I might have planned more time to check it out, but without more info I decided against checking it out.

Did this tower with balsem in same day, good hikes, so not fond of the Catskills!

I took my cousin and brother with me and they're young teenagers and they had a bit of a harder time including me, the uphill hike is a little rocky but the view at the top is well worth it.

Great little trail to a fire tower. Outhouse and picnic benches near the tower. Also a short side trail to a spring. You have to climb the tower for views. No views on the trail. Just a walk in the wooda.

Great little hike and a must do for the 5 Tower patch.

Short hike fire tower challenge. Great view from tower

Such a good view at the top of the tower

The fire tower offers beautiful views. Open weekends during the summer.

Not bad easy up and back

Thursday, January 19, 2017

this was an awesome hike. yes the road to the trailhead is not plowed in the winter but only a short extra 0.5mi to it but it socks that it's uphill after your hike down the mountain. beautiful scenery and very well kept at the top. loved this one, very easy going but some steep parts to keep you busy!

Monday, January 09, 2017

There are two routes to the peak. A road route from the south (which I can not vouch for) and a trailed route from the North off of Dinch Road. Route from the Trailhead was standard. Road down to the trailhead is not plowed in winter so expect an additional .5 miles one way. One of the better maintained Firetowers and Cabins, Doug does a good job here.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Short hike up, but challenging, mostly uphill

Thursday, October 20, 2016

My husband and I took our 3 kids ages 5, 6, and 8 and they were amazed once we got to the fire tower. My 5 and 8 year old climbed to the top of the fire tower like they have done this before, but unfortunately it was locked. We will be back during open season so we can take a look inside the fire tower!! We tired this hike once before but it was too icy and could not make the top, glad we were able to conquer it!!!

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Did this hike with my 10 year old son. The hike basically starts at the trail-head and goes over the mountain to a road on the other side. The trail-head is actually at the end of Coons Road. Don't go to the address on Red Hill Road as there is no parking. Use 60 Coons road for GPS directions.

The hike to the fire tower is 1.4 miles. Moderate for any active hiker, my son had no problem. The fire tower is very cool and the ranger gives a personal tour.

We then hiked past the fire tower and found an overlook with beautiful views and a nice flat rock to have lunch.

Hiked back to the car in 45 minutes. Fun trail, highly recommend it.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Keep an eye out for the signs to the trailhead that have been put out otherwise you will end up on a private road. Pretty easy hike with no real view unless you climb the fire tower. We got there after the steward had left but there was a nice grass area around the fire tower for a picnic area.

Monday, August 15, 2016

I was looking for a day hike with my 4 and 6 year old kids. The description listed on catskillmountaineer.com called it easy, when we got to the trailhead the DEC listed it as moderate hike. I said to myself we will make it as far as my 4 year wants to go... For little kids it can be very difficult at some parts but they made it to the top with only stopping for a break once. The attendant at the top was so welcoming and friendly. After a couple of attempts both kids made it to the top of the fire tower, it was a little windy and their nerves were getting the better of them.. It was well worth it taking this hike we enjoyed it!!!

Sunday, July 03, 2016

This gets a one star based off All Trails terrible description.

1. The directions take you to the road next to it, not the actual road.

2. Be forewarned that attempting to drive here with anything less than AWD is a mistake. I am so thankful my car didn't pop a tire.

3. There are CLEAR warnings to only hike in groups and that evacuation can take hours. The description provided makes it seem like a walk in the park, but this should not be attempted alone. The odds of getting mauled by a bear here are probably equal to getting poison ivy.

Sunday, September 06, 2015

This was a short trail and not that strenuous until you're 3/4 the way up and it becomes a steep climb with a switchback. Over all the hike was pleasant with no views on the way up. Be careful as you hike this trail because it's rocky and have tree roots that you could trip on. The summit was nice a clean with picnic tables for you to eat at. The attendant was very nice and knowledgeable. The view from the cabin was excellent as you could see some of the Catskills high peaks. The only concern that I have is the seasonal road to get to the trailhead. It's rocky and somewhat steep in sections, and the directions linked to this app isn't correct. I would do this hike again and this one completed my fire towers for the Catskills.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

It was exactly what I was looking for. A short, moderately strenuous hike that ended at a neat fire tower. Not sure why a previous review said the view was not good. I found it very appealing and interesting. It was fairly easy to get to off Sugar Loaf Rd out of Grahamsville. The road in is seasonal and I see why. The drive out of the lot back to the main road is steep and rocky making for a bit of tense driving in my mid-size Chevy. I'd go again when I have limited time and need a decent hike.