Prospect Mountain Trail is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake George, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,535 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

This trail is a steep hike up an old tramway trail from Lake George Village to the top of Prospect Mountain with great views of the southern end of Lake George. The tramway was once the largest cable railroad in the world. Expect to see other hikers as this is a very popular hiking trail due to the beautiful views. Parking area is alongside the Smith Street (at the trailhead at the bottom of the mountain). This beautiful hike starts with an enclosed bridge that crosses over the Northway (I-87) and then proceeds as a typical Adirondack region trail in New York state. The beginning is fairly easy with some steeper sections starting around midway. You can also drive the toll road up the mountain for $10 and enjoy the panoramic views that way or take the shuttle bus. There are picnic areas at the summit. If you plan ahead there is an alternate and very enjoyable route down the other side of Prospect that ends at the Lake George Recreational area - this desent includes a beautiful waterfall as well. If you choose this route you will need to leave a second car at that trailhead prior to your hike.

Hard trail... steep straight up for about 1.5 hours.... views are amazing! Get your bug spray out.

Hiked here a week ago. Nice hike, steep. Going down was tougher than the ascent for me. Buggy.

SO STEEP!!! I cannot warn you enough that this trail is very difficult and steep as heck. It’s like an hour long straight vertical climb. Yes the view at the top is gorgeous. The climb down was almost worse for my bad joints. I hike all the time and have no problem with portions of incline/decline, but this trail kicked my ass for almost 4 hours. Also the bridge of death to cross the highway at the trail start is anxiety inducing and I don’t even have a fear of heights typically. ... I’m outdoorsy and this trail was more sadistic than recreational for me.

Great trill very up hill steep and rocky but worth it!

Trail was actually 4.2 miles up and back

Starts off with 7 flights of stairs to the bridge over the highway. Like other reviews said, the trail starts uphill right away and carries a 20-45 degree angle up most of the way. There are a couple of spots it levels off. Majority of the way is bedrock. Some muddy spots and it runs through a creek in another spot. Follow the red trail, the markers are a bit spotty but theres some spray paint marking the trees too. There's a blue trail that loops from the red trail if you want to add more mileage. You could also drive to the top, and the trail runs over the road twice. Lots of hikers out today. Pretty buggy on the way up. Walking sticks would be useful on the way down because of how steep it is. Took us 2.5 hours with a stop at the top near the pavillion and the picnic tables.

It is a steep hike, but short, I personally wouldn’t rate it as difficult especially when compared to much harder treks also ranked as merely difficult, but one of my less than active companions had a lot of trouble. I would wear boots or sneakers; but I’ve seen people on it with plastic flip flops. If you want to hike Bc you like walking then this trail is fine, but if you are hiking for views, just drive up this one; not worth it

Beautiful

I love this hike. Going up is super steep and you think you want to die but getting to the top is so rewarding. It's intense cardio for the entire 1 hour hike. One downside, it can get really busy. Wide trail all the way up though.

Trust the reviews this trail is difficult. It is very rocky and steep!! Be very careful going up as the trail splits right near the big rock slide. We made the mistake of going to the right and followed the blue trail when we should’ve gone to the left and followed the red trail. We followed the blue trail to what we thought was the top but there was no view of the lake etc. and we couldn’t figure out how to get to the summit. We could’ve kept going but it led us down a steep decline which made it look like we were going back down and not to the summit so we turned around and headed back down. Half way down we discovered where we made the error straying from the red trail. We really wanted to see the summit so up we went again. It was a long day and coming down was not easy due to the steepness of the trail. Also make sure you bring bug spray the blackflies have teeth. This trail is marked as difficult for a reason. I am more of a moderate trail hiker but my friend wanted some challenge.

Steep rocky trail, but some pretty nice views at the top. BRING BUG SPRAY, lots of bugs. There are two trails from the highway overpass, blue and red. We took blue which is longer but a little less steep. There is a false summit on blue trail and close to the summit the blue ended and we took the red trail to the summit. Would not recommend if road was open bc it would probably be very crowded. Nice picnic area at the summit.

I always forget how steep this really is. It’s one heck of a climb but great views. Muddy and busy.