Prospect Mountain Trail

Prospect Mountain Trail is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake George, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is a steep hike up an old tramway trail from Lake George Village to the top of Prospect Mountain with great views of the southern end of Lake George. The tramway was once the largest cable railroad in the world. Expect to see other hikers as this is a very popular hiking trail due to the beautiful views. Parking area is alongside the Smith Street (at the trailhead at the bottom of the mountain). This beautiful hike starts with an enclosed bridge that crosses over the Northway (I-87) and then proceeds as a typical Adirondack region trail in New York state. The beginning is fairly easy with some steeper sections starting around midway. You can also drive the toll road up the mountain for $10 and enjoy the panoramic views that way or take the shuttle bus. There are picnic areas at the summit. If you plan ahead there is an alternate and very enjoyable route down the other side of Prospect that ends at the Lake George Recreational area - this desent includes a beautiful waterfall as well. If you choose this route you will need to leave a second car at that trailhead prior to your hike.

worth a trek up if you're in the area. the views from the top are great and the steep trail gives a nice taste of adirondack hiking without the endurance requirements of an adk high peak.

amazing hike with serious ascents. the trail is well marked and almost entirely shaded. yes. it is rocky. sturdy shoes a must. hiking poles recommended. other hikers describe crowds. not our experience on a summer monday. we saw a few folks each way. at the top you will pop out on a park road. go left to find picnic tables, bathrooms, cold water, and a great view of lake George.

Awesome hike

GF and I did this hike after a full day of basically non stop rain.The rocks were slippery so we decided to stay slightly astray from the trail as walking in the dirt was safer.Red trail is really well marked and simple to follow.Starting at the stairs we made it to the summit in 1:13 and that was with a few short stops here and there.We were fortunate enough that not many people had driven up so it was not crowded.Windy but it felt great in a humid day.Views were fantastic.I would suggest hiking shoes and we had trekking poles which helped but this is a very manageable trail.Our round trip was 3:05 but I took quite a few pictures up top.

Great hike with amazing views. Trail was a little difficult for my young kids. At the top the park rangers have a water cooler station to refill bottles.

a fun trail full of critters and a great view.

Moderate is a little off. I’d say hard. The runs are straight up for the first half, over rocky terrain. The second half of the climb is steep but fun. The view at the top was well worth it! Only complaint was that it summits at an area that is basically a parking lot and picnic area. Shame on me for not reading more about this climb. I do not like to hike to something everyone else can drive to. Although we had a great time!!!

Well-maintained trail that culminates with a beautiful view of the Lake George valley. It is NOT for the novice hiker, as you will experience significant stretches of steep terrain along the way. Bring plenty of water and prepare for a good cardiovascular workout!

Didn’t do much other than look down while climbing to the top due to steepness and rocky terrain. I did enjoy view. Best spot was from shuttle parking lot so be sure to stop there before proceeding to summit.

Also I took the blue marker up. It was quieter, less steep (but still steep) but longer. Been told it is twice as long. Took red trail back.

should be labeled HARD not moderate. Began with the stairway and my wife had a panic attack because of the see thru stairs and steapness. Had to turn around (first time we had to do that) I admit we are 69 and 65 but this was an experience we never had before. I may try it on my own next year, but this is a lot tougher than advertised. We than drove up to the top and we're happy with views from there

Hard hike for the mediocre view, all the cars and structures at the top ruined hiking it as well, better off driving up and finding a different peak.

Nice hike. Great view from the summit.

Beautiful view from top but do note it's steep hiking till the top.

We went with two 8 yo, and I wouldn’t call this trail kids friendly. They made it, but it took us 2 hours 40 min. hours to complete the trail, and the kids had to push it. It’s a steady steep hike all the way up, and we had to be careful walking back down since it was slippery after the rain. We all wore proper hiking shoes, so that helped.

I had a gorgeous hike up. I was able to take a 3.5 year old both carried and walking. It's manageable but can get rough as you have to handhold the entire with all the rocks.

Very good workout trail, need good hiking boots, it’s a nonstop elevation trail

This was a rainy day hike where the mosquitoes were bad. It rained the whole hike and the summit was windy and chilly with limited views.

Hiked mountain on easter sunday. Loved the view and would like to hike again when all the snow and ice is gone.

Still plenty of ice near the top. Great views!

Quick and steep, do not underestimate Prospect Mountain it will kick your butt.

I live locally, but this was my first time crossing the foot bridge and heading up Prospect Mountain. The trail was still icy and snow-covered in late March. I slipped up the first half of the hike and ended up giving in and putting my spikes on after crossing the highway.

There aren’t any breaks on this hike. It’s short, only about 1.6 miles to the top, but it’s steep. I was breathing hard at the top. The views are beautiful, and there’s a ton of room at the summit.

This is a very popular and well-traveled trail, which is a big downside. I’m selfish and I want the woods to myself. Probably won’t hike it again anytime soon, but it was a decent climb.

This trail was much more difficult than we anticipated but an excellent hike nonetheless with gorgeous views at the summit. The nightmare bridge over the highway from parking area to the trailhead will be with me for a while :D

scenic driving

$10 view to drive about 10 minutes. Have had better views of Lake George doing other hikes. Low effort = low reward. However, if you're looking for something with easy access that would be good. There are cool train parts at the top with history info and lots of picnic tables on the way up.

It's not a moderate trail! it's quite steep and difficult to climb at parts. Beautiful view at the top though. Much more beautiful in fall.

Nice hike, especially in the fall when leaves are turning. Spectacular Lake George views from the summit.

beautiful hike... kind of hard for a 10 year old though.. great day in all!

Nice trail, when brooklynites aren't hiking there!!! Quite steep!!!

No need to park where the folks live in the village. Just park alongside the road at the trailhead at the bottom of the mountain. Expect to see other hikers as this is a very popular hike. Overall, pretty easy hike with good views, though some of the views at the top are limited by trees. You'll see lots of others at the summit since there's a road in that people in vehicles use. If you haven't done Sleeping Beauty, try that one out...just as easy and way way better views (from the east side of Lake George instead of the west side).