Prospect Mountain Trail

Prospect Mountain Trail is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake George, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Moderate hike up old tramway trail from Lake George Village to the top of Prospect Mountain with great views of the southern end of Lake George. A beautiful hike (especially in the fall) that includes some varied terrain. The trail starts with an enclosed bridge that crosses over the Northway (I-87) and then proceeds as a typical Adirondack style trail. The beginning in fairly easy with some steeper sections starting around midway. You can also drive the road up the mountain for $10. If you plan ahead there is an alternate and very enjoyable route down the other side of Prospect that ends at the Lake George Recreational area - this dececnt includes a beautiful waterfall as well. If you choose this route you will need to leave a second car at that trailhead prior to your hike.

I would not call this a "moderate" trail. Nearly the entire trail is covered with rocks (including many large boulders), which pose a slipping hazard; and the entire climb (save perhaps a total of 100 feet) is a steep grade. Thankfully, many people have tramped-down routes to circumvent the rocks/boulders, making off-trail paths fairly easy to spot and use. The view is amazing and worth the climb, but be prepared to work for it.

not bad for a straight up and back. I did the trail few months ago. but when I got to the split in the road at the large rock surface, I went to the right following the blue blazes and found a nice view there. even a couple overnight camping spots. just didn't see water sources ( maybe I just missed them) so bring plenty of water.

I found it to be one of those "Do it once to say you did it" trails. Beautiful at top but you can drive up for the view. The trail itself wasn't that spectacular. You are under cover for the majority so not really any views for the majority of the moderate climb. Might look better in the fall with some colors.

Excellent view at the top. Very steep climbs and slippery.

I did this hike with my yoga retreat group of 15 people back in Oct 2016. It was a fairly easy-moderate (for me). I am a "girly girl" but would consider myself very active. I could def see how it would be considered "moderate or difficult" for people as one older lady in our group didn't make it all the way up and 2 others fell behind about 10-15 mins. I didn't have this app 6 months ago and was one of the first in my group to find our way to the top we followed the red trail. The view at the top is well worth the hike.

More than a moderate hike , partly because this is not a well maintained trail . Could hardly see any maps or information at the trail head , but the views from the top were worth the hike. Won't think I will do this again . Would rather drive up the road and jus immerse in the view of lake George

The covered bridge over 87 is scary- it's actually like a cylinder shaped metal cage- not a typical bridge. Hike is a harder than average "moderate". Very slippery and steep in parts- with stone slabs to cross. a walking stick will help. Great views at top. We packed lunch and ate a picnic table at top.

Been going up Mt. Prospect every summer since I was a baby. Gorgeous 100 mile view on a crystal clear day!

Steep hike straight up for the most part. Last 200 feet even out. Views are amazing at the top with 180 degree view of Lake George and Adirondacks

There is an alternate route then shown on the map a little north of the main route Ive run up and down in 45 min .