Potter's Falls

Potter's Falls is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ithaca, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Perhaps Potters Falls is a fiction - a myth! I can't find it :(. Three attempts. I've been to second dam numerous times saw the memorial to Eric (oddly three times I saw a different pair of new sneakers and/or flip flops just left there), I continued on the trail - first wide like a service road, then through an open field with the water far to my right (not really so far), then a narrow trail with branches over it. I hiked passed Penny Lane and Lois Lane (that's right!) high on my left. I even hiked up to Penny Ln passed a memorial bench and then back down. I asked some young teen for directions, but he just ran away. At some point, I came to a small break in the trail with a relatively dry stream that I climbed down )could have jumped) , across maybe 6 feet and up. The trail ended at what I can only describe a a very steep hill, almost a wall that looked hikeable up but dangerous down. And I turned around. Once I went down a narrow trail with loose rocky rubble. It went pretty far down and was heading toward the water. But my son was in the lead and he said it wasn't going anywhere. We turned around. I ran into two hikers but I think they were directing me to second dam, even though they denied it. Later I thought maybe the falls comes from the side and I can't see it from the trail. Maybe that narrow rocky trail was the right one. Too late now. I'm going home. If this sounds familiar to anyone please give me a little help. I will go back

Though the trail is tough to follow, if you know the hike to second dam you'll be golden. The waterfall at the end is beautiful and makes for some great lounging and swimming if you're up for it. Great place to spend some time in the sun and much less crowded than second dam. (Also known to be a nudist area so may not be a great family hike depending on who gets there first)

great hike on a spring day!

Saturday, September 17, 2016

This trail must of been engineered using Common Core Math by a Liberal Arts Major. The start of the trail shown is in a residential area where parking is not permitted June-October. I found the trailhead using someone else's recorded trek. The trail is poorly marked and ends onto the Road where you'll need to walk along traffic for 1/4 mile+. Also loops around backyards of town homes. The upside is if you wander off the trail there is some steep hill/mountain climbs. There were dozens of kids jumping off cliffs into the water that looked fun if I was 20 years younger. Some nice views. Very very odd trail. It can be very short and easy or tough if you climb up the mountainside.

Monday, August 08, 2016