Potter's Falls

Potter's Falls is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ithaca, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Ok I found an easier way into potters falls. You can go in through the south hills recreation way trail walk in from Burns Road there is parking right at the trail head. Walk in until you find a blocked entrance on the right hand side of the trail. There is a metal gate blocking the trail and at one end of the gate there is a very unique wooden passage-way that is bent at a 90 degree angle and only large enough for a person to fit through. I believe this is done to keep bikes off of the trail. hike in and follow the trail it is a very clearly beaten path. I would not go just after a rain storm the trail will be very slippery and muddy. Hike in until you see signs saying no trespassing or swimming and something about the water shed. When you get to the signs the trail turns right. So take a right at the signs and potters falls is down on the left about 1500 to 2000 feet. Its a fun hike through the woods and I did it totally naked, so if you dare to be bare go for it. I did see that the trail was heavily trafficked since there were allot of fresh sneaker prints in the muddy areas of the trail so you may run into others. Just as long as your cool about it no one cares. I did see blue blazes or paint marks on the trees all the way in so keep an eye out. Just in case anyone wants to know the GPS coordinates for potters falls is 42.41880 and -76.464000 or 42 degrees 25 minutes and 07.7 seconds N and 76 Degrees 27 minutes and 50.4 seconds W. Mystery solved!

It's not myth but turned out to be a lot more difficult than I expected. As soon as you go pass the six mile Creek's loop, trail became unmarked and with branches to climb over. To get to the falls, once you get to see the second dam at the end of the loop, you have to go back and detour through the trail slightly towards the north (instead of the magical route switching shown in the app.) As you go through some wide and narrow roads, and make pass through Eric's memorial, there will be a steep hill to climb and you can continue towards your right hand side once you are on top. You can also just do the second half without the steep hill climbing by entering Gorges Access from the Penny Lane but there is no parking so you will need to park further out. The falls in the end isn't overwhelmingly awesome but the view and efforts are definitely rewarding and worthwhile.

p.s. The blue blaze markings become spotty towards the second half of the trail.

Is this trail marked by blue blazes the entire way or where to the blazes end?

A great hike that rewards you with an area to swim that is more secluded than most other hikes in this area.

Potter's falls does exist and is well worth the trek! The trail is well-marked with blue blazes. Start at the small parking lot at the head of the trail off Giles St and walk towards Second Dam. Keep going past the memorial to Eric. Eventually you will come to a steep incline to your left as described below, but the trail does continue east at the top of the ridge. Stick to the main trail (don't follow any of the narrower trails towards the water), and eventually it will terminate at Potter's Falls. There's great views of the falls from the trail, and you can walk down to a gravelly beach if you want to sit and enjoy nature.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Perhaps Potters Falls is a fiction - a myth! I can't find it :(. Three attempts. I've been to second dam numerous times saw the memorial to Eric (oddly three times I saw a different pair of new sneakers and/or flip flops just left there), I continued on the trail - first wide like a service road, then through an open field with the water far to my right (not really so far), then a narrow trail with branches over it. I hiked passed Penny Lane and Lois Lane (that's right!) high on my left. I even hiked up to Penny Ln passed a memorial bench and then back down. I asked some young teen for directions, but he just ran away. At some point, I came to a small break in the trail with a relatively dry stream that I climbed down )could have jumped) , across maybe 6 feet and up. The trail ended at what I can only describe a a very steep hill, almost a wall that looked hikeable up but dangerous down. And I turned around. Once I went down a narrow trail with loose rocky rubble. It went pretty far down and was heading toward the water. But my son was in the lead and he said it wasn't going anywhere. We turned around. I ran into two hikers but I think they were directing me to second dam, even though they denied it. Later I thought maybe the falls comes from the side and I can't see it from the trail. Maybe that narrow rocky trail was the right one. Too late now. I'm going home. If this sounds familiar to anyone please give me a little help. I will go back

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Though the trail is tough to follow, if you know the hike to second dam you'll be golden. The waterfall at the end is beautiful and makes for some great lounging and swimming if you're up for it. Great place to spend some time in the sun and much less crowded than second dam. (Also known to be a nudist area so may not be a great family hike depending on who gets there first)

Sunday, April 23, 2017

great hike on a spring day!

Saturday, September 17, 2016

This trail must of been engineered using Common Core Math by a Liberal Arts Major. The start of the trail shown is in a residential area where parking is not permitted June-October. I found the trailhead using someone else's recorded trek. The trail is poorly marked and ends onto the Road where you'll need to walk along traffic for 1/4 mile+. Also loops around backyards of town homes. The upside is if you wander off the trail there is some steep hill/mountain climbs. There were dozens of kids jumping off cliffs into the water that looked fun if I was 20 years younger. Some nice views. Very very odd trail. It can be very short and easy or tough if you climb up the mountainside.

Monday, August 08, 2016