Popolopen Torne Loop

Popolopen Torne Loop is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Highland Falls, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Fantastic Hike. Coming down wasn’t easy so be prepared. Loved this hike. My favorite hike so far!!!

Well I attempted to do the shorter version from Mine Road. I really wanted to get pictures of the memorial but at as I got up to the final scramble, I could barely get up as I began to slide down and decided it wasn't worth the risk. Don't let this scare you as I was carrying a heavy DSLR. If there is another way,let me know. I may attempt it again with less weight but not sure if it would have made a difference or not for me. I was so disappointed :-(

The summit and the view was amazing - especially on a clear, sunny day. Some spots were tricky too which was unexpected and welcomed.

Nice trail. I must mention it is not completely out away from civilization so you may hear cars at times. Aside from that very beautiful trail and lovely view at the top.

Hike begins on the 1777 Trail from Fort Montgomery, which is a pretty cool place to check out as well. The 1777 Trail meanders for awhile, across a road and sometimes along the road which I found slightly annoying but it's all about the payoff!! Eventually the trail stays in the woods along Popolopen Creek, look for a blue blazed trail to your right at some point. I opted to take the second blue trail to ensure a loop, this also allowed me to enjoy the bridge which crosses over the creek. Nice climb once you get into the blue trail, view at the top is stunning, 360 degree views. There is also a Memorial at the peak which is the culmination of the "Trail of the Fallen".

Great short hike. Got some good incline. Beautiful view from the top.

It was ok. Decent hike with some good inclines but definitely not "hard." There were a few pretty spots but the best veiws were from the parking lot. I haven't hiked the area before but I got the feeling there were other trails near by that would have been much better.

Good short hike - doge loved it

Excellent hike, beautiful views of the Hudson River, and moving monument to soldiers who have served. This hike is has payoffs in the exercise, in the views at the top, and in the sense of solemn pride for the sacrifice of those honored at the memorial at the top. Great day hike.

My first hike ever. One of the days that changed my life, finding my love for the outdoors.

Short but great hike

A hike everyone should do. Everyone. It takes your breath away at the tip and you are awed by the patriotism.

Great day hike with fantastic views!

Hiked this trail 11/28/2017. Trail was slightly difficult to follow.. thank you All Trails for the trail map! We tacked on an extra 1.5 miles due to getting lost. However, with that said, the trail was nice. The peak was worth the challenge of scrambling over rather challenging rocks. It would have been much nice to be up their with the fall foliage however, being the time of year, we did not encounter any crowds, which was nice! I would recommend this hike for those looking for a fun challenge!

We went up the steep side (left side of the loop), I recommend doing it this way. I find it much easier to climb up rocks than down them. The other aide is not as steep and easier to go down.

I thought this hike began moderate until you got closer to the top. The. Coming down was not that easy to say the least! I totally see why this is consider hard. The view from the top is worth every step to get there! Would do this again.

Amazing view

This trail has it all! Some stroll and some climb... enough heart pounding to keep it interesting and the view from the top? It was totally worth it!

Loved this hike! The view at the top is amazing!

One of our favorite hiking trail so far. It was very hard but worth it!!

Excellent 3 hr hike with adding the Brooks Lake. Highly recommendable.

Moderate. Not hard. Walked down the blue path and ventured off of it to a swimming hole and double mini waterfall that was very pretty. After reaching the top which was just a very short scramble I went further the turkey
Hill pond which was very beautiful. There's also a gun range south of the pond so make sure you stay on trail. Long day but I wouldn't consider this hard.

Our Cub Scout pack went up today. Kids had no problems... can’t say the same for the adults. We only did the Trail of the Fallen, but it’s one heck of a cardio workout going up... beautiful views.

Only complaint is that the blazes are hard to spot occasionally...

agreed with the other person who said this is moderate rather than hard. blazes also aren't well placed at all and very easy to get lost.

I would rate this hike as moderate. You are walking on fairly flat ground for most of the trail until you approach the mountain. One drawback of this trail is that you are hiking very close to the road. So, you can hear traffic which sort of disrupts the peacefulness of the trail. The view at the top of the mountain is great and there is plenty of flat rock to each lunch and sit.

surfing

One of the most beautiful swimming holes around and great cliff jumping but has gotten too popular over the last couple years. If you go be safe, watch out for rangers, and please pick up your damn garbage.

Marks are confusing. You hear loud traffic noise 80% of the time. Kids and teenagers are jumping off the cliff into the creek. Not exactly a peaceful hike.

Three stars because from a naturalist's point of view, this loop stinks. You cross the road and walk the road multiple times, always hear the sound of traffic, and most of the plants are invasive species. However, great trail for exercise, more of a 5/5 there. I climbed the equivalent of 63 flights of stairs! A caution: unless you have the upper body strength to lift and move your entire body with your arms, take the trail to the right of the final mountain climb. To the left it progresses into rock climbing pretty quickly, which is something I didn't realize and wasn't prepared for. Great for a challenge, but just FYI. Also, snakes like to hang out on and under rocks, and while I didn't see snakes I saw quite a few skins, so be careful!

Nice hike, not too difficult. At one point you have to pass under a hand rail, after Popolopen Torne, Other than the mountain it is a quiet walk through the forest with only a few inclines.