Poke-O-Moonshine Trail

Poke-O-Moonshine Trail is a 2.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Keeseville, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,207 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

There are views towards the High Peaks and Lake Champlain from the summit. From the fire tower there are views towards the northern part of Lake Champlain and Plattsburgh. The cab of the fire tower is open during the summer months.

icy

Ice came down 3 times, be extremely careful on the beginning from the parking lot of the old campground. The first mile or so was pretty hazardous.

icy

A very nice fire tower hike. The trail has been redone making it longer but an easier grade. Snow and ice throughout the trail. Made it up without microspikes but used them for an easier trip down. Only saw two other people.

A lot of stairs, & fairly steep, but worth the view. You can see mountains for quite awhile at the summit. Fire tower was locked when we went, due to so much wind, but was able to watch the sunset atop the mountain.

Fairly steep, but the gorgeous view is worth the 1.5 hike.

love the trail not to hard went with my son I. a sling so for the people wanting to do that, I can say it is possible. fell asleep on the way down. would do again!

good semi short trail. good markers. nice views for the effort.

Really a super nice mountain to do with the kids! To do again without hesitation

First and foremost this trail is nowhere near moderate, the only thing moderate about this trail is the actual view itself. Make sure you take your time because there are a lot of slippery rocks and wet mud. Also heavy traffic on this trail, had to take about 5 breaks just to sit down and catch my breath. The first part of the hike is super steep, almost like rock climbing. The hike continues steep and then about half way it mellows out. Decent view. Be advised that it top of the fire house is locked and you cant go all the way up. Took about 4 hours.

A bit difficult if you’re out of shape but WELL WORTH it! Be mindful of slippery wet rocks as there are natural springs throughout the trail. Great hike!

Not a fan of the steep stairs in the beginning . Much preferred taking to longer observatory trial up and back . Great for Rock climbers

Took the hard way. Well marked trail. Nice work on bridges and stairs. Very enjoyable hike. Going to try the observers trail next time. Beautiful day. Met some really nice people.

Beautiful but you can hear traffic the entire way. Trail has changed a bit from this mapping.

This was a beautiful but strenuous hike particularly at the beginning. My kids counted over 500 “steps” each way so be prepared. It is a little longer than listed as the trail was rerouted in the last few years. It is at least 3.3 miles round trip. There are multiple scenic views on the way up and the fire tower view was terrific. The volunteer staffing the tower was very informative.

We hiked this on Friday, 8/23/19. Abundant sunshine, high in the low 70’s. The trail was in excellent shape, and not crowded. In the first mile there are moderate grades through boulders and up stone steps, like you are on a quest in Mordor. After the bend onto the ridge the grades are easy, with lots of views. AllTrails shows a short cut. This is clearly marked with a novel system where many branches are laid across the lower and upper entrances to the red marked trail. It appears that this route has been closed. And, honestly, why take it? The longer route is awesome. We summited in under 90 minutes. The view of the Champlain valley is awe-inspiring.

Gorgeous view. My two kids (9 and 12) were able to hike with minimal complaining.

This was actually a great hike. This was my first hike again after having surgery a few weeks ago and I thought it was a little challenging but overall a great hike. Just a warning though that THIS IS NOT 2.7 MILES! Even the shorter trail is still more than 2.7. The long way is about 5 miles round trip. My boyfriend and I had plans to hike another mountain and we couldn’t because this hike was longer than expected. A great hike, but not 2.7 miles any way you look at it.

This was a great trail, with a constant but not challenging incline. Well marked and a breathtaking view at the top.

The summit of this trail had to be my favorite this year. Gorgeous views of high peaks and Lake Champlain. What we didn't realize was there were 2 trails. We were on the blue trail and then found out we had to take the red trail to get to the fire tower. The blue trail is actually a longer and easier trail to follow and the red trail is shorter and steeper. Our GPS clocked us at a total of 6 miles at the end of our hike taking the blue trail. While we didn't mind this at all, I found the information on this app confusing. I use All Trails all the time and this was the first time the information was so confusing. I will be using more sources of hiking information from now on.

Beautiful views for a short hike. Rocky most of the way so be prepared with some supportive boots or sturdy shoes.

Hiked with Dan. Up the new handicapped accessible trail, down the old, worn out trail. Beautiful views. Friendly summit steward.

Fun, short hike to break in my new gear. Pretty view from the top. Lots to look at including blueberries and newts.

Beautiful hike, approx. 1h15 to climb the path. The superb top view and even the guide performer in the tower, made us a bit of history. The kids loved it.

it's hilly for sure but manageable for most.

Did this on a Friday after "hiking" Belfry Mountain 30 minutes earlier. The outhouse was nice to have before and after the hike, and was large enough that it made changing into clean, dry clothes afterward nice & easy. The trail is very well-marked, and I appreciate all the effort that has gone into rebuilding the trail. The rock stairs for the first mile - while not at all what I was anticipating - made sense. There are also two wooden bridges and two sets of wooden stairs along the trail. We tried to find the more direct route to the summit that AllTrails shows, but never did. Instead, we stayed on the blue trail and the one-way hike was exactly 2 miles despite the signs at the trailhead indicating 1.5. The old foundation and chimney near the lean-to were cool to explore and read about on the informational sign there. We spent a LONG time at the summit, first waiting for our turn atop the fire tower (the clothespin system to keep the fire tower to 4 people at a time - plus the steward who was up there - is brilliant!) then having lunch on a ledge, then taking in the views. The steward was very friendly and knowledgeable, and helped point out a few of the High Peaks. Came down the same way we went up. It had started to rain a bit and although we were below the tree line, the rock steps were now damp so we took our time so as not to fall. The best part about this hike was NO BUGS at all! I had applied some OFF Deep Woods before we started but usually that just keeps them from biting but they weren't even buzzing! I would absolutely do this hike again. And I'll be making a donation to the Friends of Poke-o-Moonshine because their work is important and I hope they keep it up! Oh and I highly recommend the 10-minute drive to Ausable Brewing Company afterward for a cold one - whether or not you're doing the ADK 6 Pack challenge.