Poke-O-Moonshine Trail

Poke-O-Moonshine Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Keeseville, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

A great out & back trail leading to a fire tower. There are views towards the High Peaks and Lake Champlain from the summit. From the fire tower there are views towards the northern part of Lake Champlain and Plattsburgh. The cab of the fire tower is open during the summer months.

Hiked on 5/24/18. Took the Old Ranger trail on the way up. Ran into 2 swamps with the bridge floating in the middle due to flooding. Fairly easy hike when we ran into a Lean-to. Only about another half mile or so to the summit. Caught a beautiful sunset with pretty amazing views. My gf and I pitched our tent and decided to camp there for the night .Had a nice fire and relaxed , very peaceful and serene. However the wind was crazy during the night , kept waking up thinking we were going to blow away. Lol. This was our 16th fire tower as we’re doing the challenge. Sweet mountain. Highly recommend bug spray!

Superbe vue du haut de la montagne et de toute la région. Bon challenge durant la montée. Un pont a été emporté par l’eau donc nous avons traversé un marais par là dame de castor...chemin très bien entretenu.

Sunrise Hike 5/19/2018. Beautiful views of the sunrise over Lake Champlain. Old/new trail is 1.8 each way and starts off basically from the old trail head up rock steps for i would guess .75 - 1.0mi. then you level off a bit to the lean-to, after that its a minor ascent for .3mi more to the fire tower. the Western view is incredible as well, you can see some high Peaks in the distance. there is a longer less steep approach at the new trailhead sign about 200' down the road. Enjoy!

love this trail

We did the ‘new trail’ today, which is 2.5 mIles of well marked, well maintained trail. If you are in great shape, this hike will be a breeze. I am not, so it was a challenge but not at all unpleasant. Hardwood and mixed forest, bubbling brooks and beaver dams galore. A good combination of relatively flat walking and steep sections with great views once you get some height. Mostly open summit with wide open views to Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks. We happened to be there at the same time as a couple of friends of Poke-o-moonshine and they allowed us up into the fire tower cabin. So thrilling!
Highly recommend this delightful 5 mile round trip hike!

The trail is a creek right now. Rather than walk on the edge and create erosion, we did quite a bit of bushwhacking along the ledges on the way up and down. It ended up being a lot of fun! We found a bunch of interesting things!

If you are doing the 1.2 mile ranger trail straight up and don’t take the loop at the top to the left this is a tough climb right now. The way up was basically a riverbed with all the run off with several patches of sketchy snow and ice. We brought yaktrax for our shoes and still had trouble on the way down. Prepare for mud and wet shoes for a few more weeks here. The views from the top are great. I would rate this trail as hard in these conditions. I am also not convinced the 1.2 is accurate.

Lovely summit!

I did Rattlesnake just before Poke-O. It ended up being tougher than my previous hikes here. I had to navigate up a huge wall of ice in my microspikes. I hit the Summit right at sunset. I headlamped it out and bushwhacked around the ice wall on my way down (no problem). A nice day of elevation gain.

The New Trail offers several great views to keep you motivated to press on. The work they did to the trail is really amazing. I never went up the old trail but several locals enjoying the Tower truly agree the trail they placed now is great. Keep a note round trip does change to 3.6 miles. Also Someone has however removed the sticks that were placed to keep you from taking the old trial. So when you come to the Y with red trail placards going two opposite directions note that the one that is brighter and newer is the one to follow. When you come up to this section don’t take the trail to that cuts off to your right keep moving straight ahead. You will soon step across a stream and even though it seems to be taking you in the opposite direction of the Fire Tower it will wrap around and be well worth it. Great rewarding Views from the Summit with no need to climb the tower.

Very well kept trail. Had a lot of fun out there on Thanksgiving day. Saw many others as well. I brought nothing but wished I had brought the spikes. Bring spikes, winter is here for sure.

The Friends of Poke-o-moonshine have done a really nice job of upgrading the trail. This one offers more views outward on the way up than the Observer trail. A really awesome late Fall hike.

Pretty steep for the first half mile but after that it gets a bit easier. The views at the top are blue-hued and beautiful, also giving you a nice view of the interstate. ;-) Only giving this a two as I did enjoy the view but do not see myself doing this hike again.

Incredible views for a overall pretty easy hike. The beginning is rock steps and straight up but mid way gets easier . Not sure if I’ve gotten better views in the short of a hike . Whiteface on 1 side and lake Champlain on the other. Another fire tower down

first hike ever up a mountain. I underestimated it and was pretty winded . but all in all made it up fine and had a blast doing so. and it's right down the road from my house so I will be doing this hike more often

Beautiful

The ascent had me pretty winded but it was worth it. Beautiful view at the summit. Being a novice I had to stop for frequent breaks on the way up to catch my breath. The ascent is definitely challenging but overall the trail is not that long.

The trail it's self was really difficult, but the views at the top were stunning! The fire tower was also amazing, but the very top of the fire tower looked a little unsafe.

I did this trail on 8/27/17 as the first one of two that day. The other was Hurricane. This is an enjoyable trail that would be great for families to do. The trail is wide and well marked. It is either easy or moderate, depending on your experience and conditioning. It was my first hike since April and it was not strenuous.

It's a challenging hike. Especially for those of you that have joint problems like I do. It was worth the effort, though. The cab of the tower was locked today...but you honestly do not need the tower to get the views...beautiful summit and not too busy in the early morning. It was picking up in traffic as we descended. I would recommend this hike!

The best view of the lake and mountains!

This is a great hike for families. I did the 4.8 mile route. It is wide and well maintained. It took 1:10 minutes to go up and that was stopping for photos at the lean to and first rock overlook. The views are awesome. The tower is locked but that doesn't dampen the views. If you want a comfortable hike to great views this is it.

There are two trails to the fire tower, this trail which is shorter and a longer 4.8 mile trail. The Trail that is marked at the road is the longer trail. Both trails meet near the end where it gets a little challenging. Fire tower was locked the day we hiked the longer trail.

Trail is challenging.... our 12 year olds and 10 year old did well with few complaints ...well worth the view at the top

We loved it. It was a difficult hike up. On the way up you will see a lot of beaver dams. if ypu have the guts, go up the fire tower you will get a great panoramic view.

Took the longer hike further down route 9 it was a 4 mile out and back and took a little over 3 hours. The views from the top and the fire tower were amazing you can see Lake Champlain from the top. Our dog went as well and there are plenty of spots to stop and swim including where the beaver dam is. All in all great hike

Great hike with optional trailheads. The original trail within the old campground is a more challenging steep trek, while the newer just down the road is a more moderate incline (but I believe just a bit longer) We did the steep one, it was well worth it. Views are amazing of the high peaks, Lake Champlain, Green Mountains in Vermont, and even into Canada.

Good short hike. Pretty vertical though. I found the views from the lookout prior to reaching the top were my favorite. The fire tower area was neat but I was surprised to see as many people as I did up there. Came back down to the look out, strung up a hammock and heated up some soup (it was pretty rainy and cold). The view was pretty incredible.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

my favorite hike since I was a kid. always a challenge!