Poke-O-Moonshine Trail

Poke-O-Moonshine Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Keeseville, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

A great out & back trail leading to a fire tower. There are views towards the High Peaks and Lake Champlain from the summit. From the fire tower there are views towards the northern part of Lake Champlain and Plattsburgh. The cab of the fire tower is open during the summer months.

The New Trail offers several great views to keep you motivated to press on. The work they did to the trail is really amazing. I never went up the old trail but several locals enjoying the Tower truly agree the trail they placed now is great. Keep a note round trip does change to 3.6 miles. Also Someone has however removed the sticks that were placed to keep you from taking the old trial. So when you come to the Y with red trail placards going two opposite directions note that the one that is brighter and newer is the one to follow. When you come up to this section don’t take the trail to that cuts off to your right keep moving straight ahead. You will soon step across a stream and even though it seems to be taking you in the opposite direction of the Fire Tower it will wrap around and be well worth it. Great rewarding Views from the Summit with no need to climb the tower.

Very well kept trail. Had a lot of fun out there on Thanksgiving day. Saw many others as well. I brought nothing but wished I had brought the spikes. Bring spikes, winter is here for sure.

The Friends of Poke-o-moonshine have done a really nice job of upgrading the trail. This one offers more views outward on the way up than the Observer trail. A really awesome late Fall hike.

Pretty steep for the first half mile but after that it gets a bit easier. The views at the top are blue-hued and beautiful, also giving you a nice view of the interstate. ;-) Only giving this a two as I did enjoy the view but do not see myself doing this hike again.

Incredible views for a overall pretty easy hike. The beginning is rock steps and straight up but mid way gets easier . Not sure if I’ve gotten better views in the short of a hike . Whiteface on 1 side and lake Champlain on the other. Another fire tower down

first hike ever up a mountain. I underestimated it and was pretty winded . but all in all made it up fine and had a blast doing so. and it's right down the road from my house so I will be doing this hike more often

Beautiful

The ascent had me pretty winded but it was worth it. Beautiful view at the summit. Being a novice I had to stop for frequent breaks on the way up to catch my breath. The ascent is definitely challenging but overall the trail is not that long.

The trail it's self was really difficult, but the views at the top were stunning! The fire tower was also amazing, but the very top of the fire tower looked a little unsafe.

I did this trail on 8/27/17 as the first one of two that day. The other was Hurricane. This is an enjoyable trail that would be great for families to do. The trail is wide and well marked. It is either easy or moderate, depending on your experience and conditioning. It was my first hike since April and it was not strenuous.

It's a challenging hike. Especially for those of you that have joint problems like I do. It was worth the effort, though. The cab of the tower was locked today...but you honestly do not need the tower to get the views...beautiful summit and not too busy in the early morning. It was picking up in traffic as we descended. I would recommend this hike!

The best view of the lake and mountains!

This is a great hike for families. I did the 4.8 mile route. It is wide and well maintained. It took 1:10 minutes to go up and that was stopping for photos at the lean to and first rock overlook. The views are awesome. The tower is locked but that doesn't dampen the views. If you want a comfortable hike to great views this is it.

There are two trails to the fire tower, this trail which is shorter and a longer 4.8 mile trail. The Trail that is marked at the road is the longer trail. Both trails meet near the end where it gets a little challenging. Fire tower was locked the day we hiked the longer trail.

Trail is challenging.... our 12 year olds and 10 year old did well with few complaints ...well worth the view at the top

We loved it. It was a difficult hike up. On the way up you will see a lot of beaver dams. if ypu have the guts, go up the fire tower you will get a great panoramic view.

Took the longer hike further down route 9 it was a 4 mile out and back and took a little over 3 hours. The views from the top and the fire tower were amazing you can see Lake Champlain from the top. Our dog went as well and there are plenty of spots to stop and swim including where the beaver dam is. All in all great hike

Great hike with optional trailheads. The original trail within the old campground is a more challenging steep trek, while the newer just down the road is a more moderate incline (but I believe just a bit longer) We did the steep one, it was well worth it. Views are amazing of the high peaks, Lake Champlain, Green Mountains in Vermont, and even into Canada.

Good short hike. Pretty vertical though. I found the views from the lookout prior to reaching the top were my favorite. The fire tower area was neat but I was surprised to see as many people as I did up there. Came back down to the look out, strung up a hammock and heated up some soup (it was pretty rainy and cold). The view was pretty incredible.