Poke-O-Moonshine Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(413)
Taylor Pond Wild Forest

Poke-O-Moonshine Trail is a 2.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Keeseville, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,207 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

There are views towards the High Peaks and Lake Champlain from the summit. From the fire tower there are views towards the northern part of Lake Champlain and Plattsburgh. The cab of the fire tower is open during the summer months.

This was a disappointment. Not because the trail wasn’t nice but because the actual dotted trail on the map is not properly marked, so it automatically takes you the longer way around and makes it 2.9 mi. round trip just to reach the lean-to! This is a huge problem when you have 5 kids with you and you have only allotted certain mileage. So we didn’t get to make the summit. Other than that and a horrific amount of mosquitoes; the climb was nice with many beautiful huge rocks and little springs as well as a few lovely outlooks.

This is probably the most well kept trail I’ve been on in a while. My favorite part is that a lot of the beginning is stone steps, over the years they have added wooden steps in and there are two bridges the second one newer. This was my first hike when I was a child so it’s nice to see the progression over the years now that I’m in my 30s. Only took us an hour up and a half down.

This was a decent hike. The trail is well kept and when I went there was not a lot of people. There are a few spots that were hairy, some man made stairs that are very narrow. There are a lot of stairs on this hike, made from stones, but there are some with mud. I made it up and back in around 2 hours.

This was a beautiful and enjoyable hike. It took my husband, five year old daughter, and me 1 1/2 hours to reach the fire tower. The summit views were amazing.

Nice steady trail with excellent views!

yesterday morning a few bugs down low...none up higher to speak of...Trail 99% dry at 8:30am - 10:30am....lucked out with my quick up n down. Good cool day....

Just hiked this today, definitely a moderate intensity hike. Some areas can be steep but it is well maintained trail with visible markers. Muddy in some spots but honestly not as bad as we anticipated. The view is absolutely worth it!

easy climb with great views

Awesome rock stairs for most of the hike. It’s very dog friendly. Super beautiful at the top-can see white face and lake Champlain (a long with more). Very muddy towards the top which made it slippery. All in all, great hike with a beautiful peak! Also, super well maintained trail!

Easy hike, but great views the whole way.

Great hike. Love this hike. Have done it too many times to count. Great workout.

Took the Ranger Trail up and was harder than expected. Had some steep points but nothing too crazy. it was a warm day so a lot of the melted snow was creating mini waterfalls making it muddy and hard to grip. lots of cute spots to stop along to catch your breath. great scenery on the way up. beautiful view on the summit. the fire tower was closed due to the virus. we took the observation trail back down. longer but less steep. we passed a huge pond which was a nice surprise. it was muddier going down too. once we reached the bottom we had to walk a mile on the road to get back to the parking lot for the Ranger Trail. All in all. The trail was beautiful. Trail markers were visible throughout. Going up one trail and down the other was the way to go even with the mile walk back. defitnely will be returning

Very muddy but otherwise a great hike!

Fun trail. Well cared for. Long way up and short way down. Next time would likely do long both ways. Look for the old foundation for fire watch cabin. Pretty cool.

icy

As of today, a very small amount of frozen snow on trail. basically where the sun hasn't had a chance to melt it yet. some mud as expected. otherwise beautifully updated and much easier than it once was...

icy

Amazing hike. Steep in some areas(Ranger trail). It was more difficult than i thought it would be in snowshoes. The summit, and some great scenery before make for a good hike. The lean-to was in good condition, we stopped and had a small fire and caught our breath for a while. Coming back down was quick, falling in some areas due to steep icy conditions. Take your time and you’ll have no problem.

Traveled up the old trail on the way up... followed some ski tracks, then took the new southern route back down. This mountain is my go- to and never disappoints.

We did the loop. There were 6 adults and 4 kids and we took our time. Great hike! Great views.

Started up on 1/29/20 at 9:30 am. Moved slow to get some beautiful pictures and videos- was spoiled by mother nature today with blue skies & sunshine, not even a breeze at the summit. Took about an hour up, maybe 45 mins down. Got to my car by 11:29 am. Snowshoes wouldn't have been a bad idea, I was just in boots and it slowed me down considerably as well as froze my ankles with all the post-holing I was doing. Firetower is locked for winter but regardless, trail is beautifully maintained and the views of the high peaks and Lake Champlain were beautiful. 2 hours well spent before classes today :)

Completed the longer of the two trails- Strava said 5.3 miles. This was fairly easy, not really a technical hike. There are a couple of steeper sections. Snowshoes and microspikes are recommended. Beautiful views from the top- can see over Lake Champlain to Vermont!