Poet's Ledge Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Palenville, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,201 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Nice moderate trail. No water sources. View is worth it.

private property

this was one of my favorite hikes in a while. i only saw one person, and quite honestly if you follow this mapp, literally on this app, the trailhead isnt very difficult to find. i spent multiple hours on the ledge, it was so beautiful, and i wouldnt have traded the solitude for anything, but maybe the cure for covid-19 so more people i love and other humans may enjoy this delightful trek.

private property

Don’t let the elusive trailhead/walk along 23a/private property no trespassing signs discourage you! You will be rewarded for your efforts! Today was my first day hiking poet’s ledge. I got up early so i only had to hop the retaining barrier to dodge 2-3 incoming cars on my walk from the parking lot up 23a (the right side of the road when you are leaving palenville has a better shoulder to walk on, i learned on my way back). I turned at the red house and crossed the bridge and passed the very discouraging looking road block. I then got confused looking for a trailhead on the closed part of the road. I had only read reviews saying it is hard to find so i kept my eyes peeled. After reaching the end of the closed section of the road and turning back to examine a few promising leads i turned to my phone. The guide on Catskillmountaineer.com was tremendously helpful in finding the trailhead (follow the little green rectangles!). I realized i had to continue on to the open road and, After passing a few houses, turn up what looks like a private driveway until you see a little wooden entryway to the path. I knew i would have to cross private property and come in close proximity with homes on this trail. Once i was at the trailhead i was greeted by two barking dogs urging me onwards and away from the homes and from then on it was smooth hiking. Followed the blue blazes until i hit the yellow blazes going out to poets ledge. The conditions were great! Rocky throughout but nothing unbearable/unusual. A few joyous flats through nice woods. For much of the beginning of the hike you have an obstructed view East over the Hudson. The view from Poet’s ledge is the best view of Kaaterskill clove/ 23a i have seen! I wish this fun little hike was more accessible. Highly encouraged!

private property

great hike the beginning of the hike is steep so expect a good workout, would consider it on the higher end of moderate.

flooded

This is such a cool hike. It is a little hard to find the entrance but if you follow the map they give in this app you will have no problem. Park at the little lot it leads you too. Make a right and walk down the highway for less then a half a mile, you will walk down a dead end and see the trail maker. Parts of the trail have a creek running right through the path so a good pair of water proof hiking boots is a must. A little buggy and muddy in parts but definitely more on the advanced side of moderate with trails some parts are very steep. Very low key trail with some beautiful views. Well worth the adventure

very pleasant, beautiful day. Relatively easy, although with steep grade and definitely not the simplest trailhead to get to. But pretty easy to just follow the route with the alltrails map and location. There are green blazes at the beginning along the road, then blue then yellow. The lookout at the ledge is nice but a little underwhelming by Catskills standards. Didn't see anyone except a fellow from the restaurant near the trailhead dragging a tree for firewood. Really nice guy.

This is an awesome trail, if you van find it! There is no parking for this trail; the trail map suggests parking for a different trailhead, and then waking down a two lane state highway for about a half mile before turning down a dead end road, climbing around the dead end barrier, and following what looks to be a set of unofficial dreadful markers until you find the actual trailhead. The trail is listed as moderate, but I'd call it the high end of moderate. it is quite steep, so not for the faint of heart. But your climb will be well worth the effort when you reach Poet's Ledge and take in the view. I went in mid October when foliage was near peak, and the view was gorgeous. I've posted photos of the somewhat obscure dead end challenge: hopefully future hikers will have a better sense of what you expect.

I enjoyed this trail, my only complaint was how confusing at first it was to reach said trail, other than that there were beautiful views didnt see any bears as there is supposedly high bear activity here, but I did see a lot of markings and scat.

Mon May 27 2019

Rough and steep trail. The way down is sketchy and hard on the knees so take extra caution

Sat Apr 20 2019

I led two people on this hike on April 18, 2019. The trail itself is a public trail, part of the Long Path, but access to it is behind Fernwood Restaurant. So you should get permission from the owner to trespass or park here. Respect the owner‘s wishes and you may be charged to park here. Remember this is primarily for restaurant patrons. There is another parking lot on art 23A, Harding Road trail, a mile away. The first two miles is mostly a steady uphill climb, first on a farm road, then turn right on a narrow trail. The finest view is Maeli‘s Lookout. Then continue uphill for a ways, then turn right off this main trail for a detour .47 miles to Poet‘s Ledge, site where artists like Thomas Cole and writers like Emerson got inspiration. A short distance away you can hear and see Viola Falls. Back on the main trail you can continue west to see Wildcat Falls and Buttermilk Falls, 1.8 miles from turn off for Poet‘s Ledge. Total round trip hike was about 9 miles with about 1500 feet elevation gain.

Mon Mar 12 2018

Did this hike March 11th, 2018. We seemed to be the only ones on the hike this day as we made fresh snow tracks in 2ft + snow. It was extremely pretty in the snow.. steep.. and it just keeps going up haha. The ledge is worth it in my opinion if you want a decent challenge.

Tue Jan 16 2018

Beginning of hike is little sketchy and starts on 23A without much of a shoulder in areas. Hike itself is quite beautiful in January and the trail follows a creek so there were sections that were all ice and I imagine in the spring its a sloppy mess Cramp ons are really needed for this hike...I had a pair of Yaks Tracks and while I was able to comply it I had to constantly adjust them and I needed more traction. View at the end is ok.

Sun Nov 26 2017

Great Hike. Steep start. Waterfalls and great views. I stopped at 2000ft but can extend to over 3000 at High Peak. As far as the parking, talk to the owner of the Fernwood restaurant.

Mon Oct 09 2017

Great Views from the ledges and the last two miles of trail are really nice. The minus for me is the walking down both the main road and private roads. Really hard to stomach unnecessary and not scenic miles for the sake of people who feel the need to post private property signs every five feet. We get it.....

Mon Sep 25 2017

Hard to find the trail entrance but trust the apps location. Was very challenging as it was mostly uphill. There's a cute cabin about 1/3 way up and we ate lunch on its patio. View was awesome!

Tue Jun 06 2017

decent. the malden avenue thing is nonsense; because the hike is on private property, you have to do a lot of circuitous road walking to get there. the way up is kind of a boring muddy slog, and coming back down is pretty rough on the knees, as you're just doing a steady downgrade in mud and leaves, without many rocks/ steps to climb. the ledge is admittedly nice, and extending the extra couple of miles to the top of buttermilk falls made the effort more worthwhile. will not be back, though- not really worth the hassle.

Sun Jun 04 2017

Had a great walk ... challenges you ... just when you think it's done there is more ... next time i do buttermilk falls as well

Wed Jan 18 2017

Great hike. However it was hard and there was ice 90% of the journey to Poet's Ledge. January probably isn't your best bet to go but if you go in the winter be very careful with the ice. Overall it was a great experience.

Sun Nov 06 2016

We are elementary level hikers who greatly enjoyed the trail. Uphill almost all of the way with a few flat exceptions. We hiked in the beginning of November so the crunching of leaves accompanied each step we took. This at times made us lose our footing for minor falls but no injuries other than a few bumps and bruises. Slightly down the mountain from where you see the sign that says poets ledge: .47 miles away, we encountered a black bear in the bush about 25 ft to our side. With a few shouts it scurried away and we continued but did not reach the ledge as we were racing darkness. A noteworthy and truly awesome view along the way was Maelis look out. Another note is the entrance is sort of hard to find as it seems you are trespassing, this may be the reason that we encountered few people along the way. Overall an enjoyable, strenuously steep, scenic hike.

Thu Sep 15 2016

Hard only made it to Maeli's look out.

Tue Aug 16 2016

Definitely a challenging hike when you keep a steady pace! Bring lots of water and keep your eyes peeled for bears. We saw some scratches on trees, and lots of droppings along the way.