Plotter Kill Preserve Trail

Plotter Kill Preserve Trail is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Schenectady, New York that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

old growth

Beautiful streams, step falls and 2 tall waterfalls. Forest views. Great top rope ice climbing in January-Feb. Plotter Kill Preserve is a nature preserve near Rotterdam, NY. The Plotter Kill, a tributary of the Mohawk River, flows through a very rugged gorge. The forest here contains a mix of hardwoods and confiers. There are three beautiful waterfalls. The Upper Falls is 60 feet; the Lower Falls and the Rynex Creek Falls are both 40 feet. Start on the red trail near the kiosk. Take the side trail (blue) which will take you to lookouts over the Upper and Lower falls. Continue on the red trail which crosses the Kill on a foot bridge. You will pass by the Upper and Lower falls. The trail goes down a switchback taking you to the top of the falls on the Rynex creek. Cross the creek here. If you have ample time, you can follow the red trail to the end of the preserve near the Thruway. There is a cascading waterfall there.

Love this place

Really fun hike! It was pretty muddy and in the future we'll probably avoid this trail after it rains. There are also a lot of steep sections and the steepness combined with the slippery mud was a little scary at times. I agree with others that the trails could be marked better. We got turned around a couple times. I recommend taking a copy of the trail map or downloading it on your phone. It came in handy for us. All things considered, we had fun and the falls are beautiful!

great place. my family enjoyed it. the mini hike. the next time we will go to the waterfalls.

I'm not a huge fan of this place. Although it was a decent hike and a great workout, the trails are poorly marked. After getting semi lost myself I also had another couple ask me for directions. If the trails were marked better I think I would have enjoyed the hike.

A lot of nice trails to explore with nice waterfalls.

This was a great hike, but be prepared for lots of mud, lots of bugs, and very tall grass. Also, I wouldn't call it "lightly trafficked". There were so many cars, parking was very tight. Despite all of that. I would do it again!

great trail but it can get muddy. some areas could use more markers

nice hike...took 4.5 hours so it had to be longer than 5 miles found in the description..very pretty but trails could be a little clearer. we did north and south rim (red) trails-very muddy after the recent rain

Super muddy after recent rain.