Plateau Mountain is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hunter, New York that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,998 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Total distance was ~7.9 miles so I don’t know why it says 6.0? Great trail conditions today, virtually no mud. Still a bit of snow up on the plateau. Initial ascent was a bear as others have said but the views were amazing!

icy

The first 1.5 miles is a ROUGH 90° angle. However, the first viewpoint is fantastic. If you continue onto Plateau Mountain summit you’ll wander through a beautiful/enchanted forest. The summit is marked by a cairn and a small trail marker - keep your eyes peeled or you may miss it.

icy

The first mile and half of the hike was super steep up to the first rock ledge but the view was awesome, we then went further up into the mountain to the other view which was like a good mile and half and it was all ice and shady the whole way which made it a bit difficult and took longer, but I’d say the first rock ledge of the hike has the best view!

icy

icy on top. great views after the climb.

icy

Was amazing! Crazy steep 2 miles, but then you hit an incredible forest on the mountain top , we turned back cause it was to icy and we were sliding everywhere, but will def be back in a month !!

icy

The trail is very well marked. I found areas that were muddy, then icy and at the end it was just snow. I didn't need snowshoes, my spikes were enough. I couldn't find the "other" summit some people mentioned. Also, there is a big rock, maybe 6 or 7 feet tall, that you have to go up. if you are vertically challenged, like me, it's not fun at all trying to get up. Mostly because of the ice and the lack of things to hold on to while going up. The view is beautiful and the plateau is incredibly peaceful.

icy

Great hike! As we all know, the first mile is a climb. Micro-spikes are a must. For the remaining 2 miles on the plateau you need snowshoes unless you like the feel of walking in deep sand. Not good on the ankles or knees. So realistically you just need snowshoes and you’ve got the hike covered. The entire plateau is an evergreen forest with 6” of snow. The leading edge of the mountain from the parking lot is 4” of snow/slush covering portions of ice and dirt. It is slippery on the descent back down. Have fun.... I did!

icy

Forgot to turn off the tracker after getting back in the car. More slippery that usual on 2/22 with a lot of the snow/ice thawing. Crampons are recommended. Plateau of Plateau, it would have been nice to bring my snow shows. Some of the best views I have had in sometime because the weather complied.