Pitchoff Mountain and Balancing Rocks Trail

Pitchoff Mountain and Balancing Rocks Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Keene, New York that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This rocky ridge parallels NY 73 and provides excellent views of the High Peaks wilderness to the south. This can be done as an end-to-end hike with two cars-or park at one end and catch a ride to the other or it can be done as in and back out from the one side or the other. This is an enjoyable hike for all skill levels that offers excellent views into the High Peaks. There are several steep rock scrambles so be prepared during wet and icy conditions. A fun hike up Pitchoff Mountain past some glacial erratics left behind called the "Balancing Rocks" area. The summit ridge has great views over all the high peaks too. This is a great hike for any season, just watch out if it is icy up on the rocks on the way up.

ok...not great

ok...not great

hiked it with my dog. great hike except for the Parts of trail where you have To climb steep rocky pitches that was a challenge for the dog. Trail definetly needs more markers. easy To take the wrong path specially in the with the leaves on the ground.

Hiked this with my dog in September.. Beautiful views up top. Personally I thought it was challenging for my dog and I helped him down 1 or 2 steep areas rather than risking him getting hurt by taking a big jump. The first part of the hike is easy which gets you warmed up for the upcoming rock scrambles. We saw a family with young kids on the trail and the kids had the butt slide perfected. All in all a great hike with rewarding views.

The trail is hard to follow at times. I got lost a handful of times. There is no view from the summit. You have to go about 5 minutes after the true summit to get to a rocky area with a pretty decent view. It was not crowded at all. I was up at the summit for 1.5 hours and one man just popped in and out. It is pretty good for being alone and enjoying the sounds, but other hikes are probably better instead of this one.

We did the Traverse of the whole range. It was a good hike with excellent views on the east end of the ridge.

Nice hike. Across the street from Cascade. View is nicer at Cascade

This was a nice snowshoe hike. The trail was already broken in from the groups from yesterday. There was fresh powder on the trail but not too bad. The trail was well packed from the people that was out today. The summit is not that amazing since there are no views from it. You can get a good look at the summit of Cascade Mountain while you're hiking. On the way out we opted for trail crampons instead of snowshoes since the trail was packed down. Overall it was a nice hike that I wouldn't mind doing in the summer.

Monday, October 17, 2016

This hike is wonderful. I can't wait to do it again. we took a 3 yr old with us and it was her first hike! Although some parts of the trail are dangerously close to the cliff, this hike is definitely on my favorites list. Some very brief parts are a bit tough for an inexperienced hiker but not by any means impossible. it's mostly a nice smooth hike with a few spots of climbing due to erosion that one can easily navigate around. Don't pass it up. if st this is easily a great first hike for someone who really wants to enjoy the amazing views of the peaks. Just an FYI the trail at one point was hard to follow and we started going up some rocks. This trail near the summit needs to be marked where people have clearly gone up (they've made their own trail) to rock climb and others should continue onward for hiking. Next time I go, I'm bringing a can of paint with me to do just that. Several people took the wrong way and went straight up the rocks thinking it was the way to the summit. If you're reading this review please note to continue forward on the flat ground and you will soon find another marker. before your last ascent to the top.

Monday, October 17, 2016

Nice hike. On the day we climbed pitch off, we saw perhaps a dozen people on the mountain. Across the road, cascade had perhaps a hundred plus hikers! if u enjoy peace and quiet on your hike; this is the one for you...
We hiked this with our dog, Stella. With the exception of a few rocky ledges, five to six feet in height or so; she had no problems on the hike. On the higher areas we had to help her up/down for safety. Be advised as to this; we saw another dog try and jump about six feet from a ledge; and injure itself. Keep your pet on a leash on these areas and help them out!
The view from the summit is awesome; pitchoff isn't a high peak; but the views are first class!
This is one hike worth making!!

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

One of my favorites!

Thursday, July 09, 2015

Really fun hike to balanced boulders. Some parts were really steep and rocky, you have to watch your step but I think those are the fun parts. Our descent was literally only 30 minutes I think we actually fell down the mountain lol

Monday, May 25, 2015

Good trail

Sunday, March 15, 2015

This is a nice, quick hike when you aren't feeling up to doing a "46er". We had the whole mountain to ourselves on a Saturday in March. However, you wouldn't know this from the parking every because everyone is heading up Cascade Mountain.

Friday, March 29, 2013

It was a gorgeous day:) The views of the slides across the way were amazing and the hike was nice, we were going to stop at Balanced Rock, a scenic spot half way but it was going so well we ventured to the summitt. Easy- bit tricky on the ice but totally doable with Microspikes!!!

Saturday, August 18, 2012

This was one of our first tougher family hikes to get us going on the high peaks. We parked at the Lower Cascade Lake trailhead and hiked up and over to the peak - although the views are best before the actual peak. All together our GPS logged us as 6.8 miles RT and about 6 hours as we really took our time to enjoy the trails and the summit. We enjoyed a great trail and wonderful views. Great hike for kids who enjoy the trails.