Pilot Knob Ridge

Pilot Knob Ridge is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Queensbury, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Short forest hike with great view Lake George from gazebo at top.

Easy and quick hike! Up in about 20 minutes if you’re in decent shape and kids love this. The gazebo up top is a nice touch and worth the little bit of lung breaking!

always a fun trail to do year round

Great short hike! A steady climb, not too strenuous. Great view at the top. The gazebo is a little cheesy but offers a nice spot to sit. Hiked up with chocolate lab, Maddie, and fiance. Took us 40 minutes to the top (took our time) and 20 minutes to get down. Trail is well blazed.

Short but beautiful hike! Has a Guinness on top of the waterfall, seemed fitting. View from the gazebo of lake George is beautiful 

Satsuma an easy accesses point marked well right off the road. Mostly incline with little to few flat areas. Waterfall was pretty dry, there is a nice outlook on the first loop.

Moderate trail with an amazing view! Another mile or so up the blue trail and you get to a gorgeous waterfall. Great for a short hike

My fiancé and I hiked it with an eight year old and our pup. There were some steeper places. But overall completely doable and enjoyable for everyone. The views from the gazebo at the top make it well worth it!

Short but slightly strenuous hike in the Lake George Wilderness Area. The hike is mostly up a steady incline for the 600 feet from the start but is doable even for children. Nice clearing with gazebo at the top with views of Lake George. Trail goes on a bit further from the gazebo to what signs indicate is a waterfall, we didn't do that portion. Day we were there a few other individuals and families as partaking in the hike but not overly crowded.

Great views of Lake George.

Did this hike as my first time taking my 9 year old daughter out by myself. She loved it and the view was great. I liked that we frequently had people passing us by since we it was just the 2 of us. People of different ages and dogs were all present.

Loop around the waterfall was little confusing, but otherwise it was good hike.

Easy to moderate with a few steep inclines. enjoyed the hike and met nice hikers at the Gazebo on top. Views are good, but not great.

Quick but steep trail. Up and down in just over an hour. The view from the gazebo is very pretty, but the honeysuckle has taken over up there.

This trail was really good for kids 4 and 7. We went up a new trail in the middle as the southernmost orange trail is closed. The hike past the gazebo was easy and worth it even though the falls was just a trickle. The trail was only buggy around the falls. We came down from the gazebo on the northern orange trail which was definitely more rocky than the new central one we had taken up.

Only went to the gazebo. Up and down using the same track. perfect place for the sunset. Quite steep at some points, but good for a beginner.

Fun, shaded, perfect for beginner.

It was a nice hike
Steep at times but not technical or horribly difficult (unless you swallow a black fly or two as I did)
We stayed for sunset and walked out in the dark
I would do it again.
I think it's a great family friendly hike for all ages and skill levels.

This was a nice day hike with our 4 year-old. We started at 11am and finished around 2pm. We took plenty of time for snacks at the Gazebo and used see bubbles. We went on the blue trail to the top of the waterfall and back to the Gazebo. It was a gorgeous day and a decent view. I would rate this as somewhere between easy and moderate.

Nice trail for a quick and child friendly hike. The views were gorgeous and this trail was well maintained and so clean. Nice sample (mud, rocks, gorgeous trees and black flies) of the ADK park and nice character to the trails.

i didnt think it was an easy hike as others said, i definitely found it to be challenging and i consider myself to be in shape. they expanded the parking lot but there were quite a few cars there, we got there around 11 & had parking. definitely bring BUG SPRAY, they are annoying around the waterfall area. the gazebo area is pretty & has a nice breeze, great spot to hang out for a bit with awesome views. we saw a decent amount of people, not over crowded at all. it was hard at times to see where the trail goes...i didnt think they were that well marked. we didnt see the wildflower field that someone mentioned in a previous review...we hiked 4 miles in about 2.5 hours. very hilly as is any mountain. we saw a few garter snakes and lots of chipmunks. great day for a hike, perfect temperature.

Was a good way to get back into hiking after the long winter. Lots of people there but that’s to be expected, very easy with well marked trails

Was a nice hike. Would go back up in warmer weather when the waterfall isn't frozen.

Official name: Schumann Preserve at Pilot Knob a.k.a Pilot Knob Gazebo. My rating - slightly above easy. Trails are easy to follow, well marked. Great for beginners and kids, dog friendly. Trailhead easy to find, new-bigger and improved-parking. Gazebo can be hiked as a loop: in about 5 min hike in, you’ll come up to a JCT (well marked), go straight for more direct, steeper incline hike; or take right for more leveled (in comparison) trail with switch backs. Both trails marked orange. Good lake view, as well as of Cleverdale and Assembly Point. Past the Gazebo is blue trail to the seasonal waterfall. Semi-leveled trail in the woods, will bring you to small waterfall kids will adore. Return to the Gazebo same way. Round trip hike: 2 hrs in shape hiker, 3.5 hrs out of shape hiker. Round trip: 3 miles

My home hike. The addition of the new parking lot last year was a god send. Love taking the dog up after work. The views are spectacular. But over crowded during the summer but I go later and take a headlamp.

Monday, November 27, 2017

Sweet view of Lake George. in 15 minutes you will hike straight up (pretty strenuous) to a gazebo overlooking the lake. Then you can take a trail to the waterfalls which is great for trail running. We went mid summer and there was no waterfall to be seen but was still a nice path through the woods. If you want a short hike with a good workout, just go to the gazebo and back.

Monday, November 13, 2017

Went the extra mile to see the waterfall, beautiful partially frozen

Friday, September 15, 2017

Rocky but nice and steady hike. Loved the wildflower field at the top and the view from the gazebo (hiked this August 1). This is a hike I would want to do again near peak foliage or after the snow melts and Spring has sprung! :-)

Friday, August 18, 2017

Very steep to the gazebo then it "flattens" out to the waterfall. Per my Fitbit it was right about 4 miles in and out.

Friday, July 21, 2017

Very steep! Definitely moderate for me, though I was passed by a few people in much better shape than me! As a beginner, I found it hard but not impossible. It's a very quick hike to the gazebo, about 0.5 mile, and I came straight down after that (I wanted to do the whole loop but got confused). Overall, a good hike. The views at the gazebo are beautiful.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Plenty of parking, well maintained and marked trails. The orange loop has a strong elevation gain so moderate is a fair assessment. Great view from the gazebo. 37 minutes up via northern trail, 24 minutes down via southern trail.