Pilot Knob Ridge

Pilot Knob Ridge is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Queensbury, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Short forest hike with great view Lake George from gazebo at top.

Easy to moderate with a few steep inclines. enjoyed the hike and met nice hikers at the Gazebo on top. Views are good, but not great.

Quick but steep trail. Up and down in just over an hour. The view from the gazebo is very pretty, but the honeysuckle has taken over up there.

This trail was really good for kids 4 and 7. We went up a new trail in the middle as the southernmost orange trail is closed. The hike past the gazebo was easy and worth it even though the falls was just a trickle. The trail was only buggy around the falls. We came down from the gazebo on the northern orange trail which was definitely more rocky than the new central one we had taken up.

Only went to the gazebo. Up and down using the same track. perfect place for the sunset. Quite steep at some points, but good for a beginner.

Fun, shaded, perfect for beginner.

It was a nice hike
Steep at times but not technical or horribly difficult (unless you swallow a black fly or two as I did)
We stayed for sunset and walked out in the dark
I would do it again.
I think it's a great family friendly hike for all ages and skill levels.

This was a nice day hike with our 4 year-old. We started at 11am and finished around 2pm. We took plenty of time for snacks at the Gazebo and used see bubbles. We went on the blue trail to the top of the waterfall and back to the Gazebo. It was a gorgeous day and a decent view. I would rate this as somewhere between easy and moderate.

Nice trail for a quick and child friendly hike. The views were gorgeous and this trail was well maintained and so clean. Nice sample (mud, rocks, gorgeous trees and black flies) of the ADK park and nice character to the trails.

i didnt think it was an easy hike as others said, i definitely found it to be challenging and i consider myself to be in shape. they expanded the parking lot but there were quite a few cars there, we got there around 11 & had parking. definitely bring BUG SPRAY, they are annoying around the waterfall area. the gazebo area is pretty & has a nice breeze, great spot to hang out for a bit with awesome views. we saw a decent amount of people, not over crowded at all. it was hard at times to see where the trail goes...i didnt think they were that well marked. we didnt see the wildflower field that someone mentioned in a previous review...we hiked 4 miles in about 2.5 hours. very hilly as is any mountain. we saw a few garter snakes and lots of chipmunks. great day for a hike, perfect temperature.

Was a good way to get back into hiking after the long winter. Lots of people there but that’s to be expected, very easy with well marked trails

Was a nice hike. Would go back up in warmer weather when the waterfall isn't frozen.

Official name: Schumann Preserve at Pilot Knob a.k.a Pilot Knob Gazebo. My rating - slightly above easy. Trails are easy to follow, well marked. Great for beginners and kids, dog friendly. Trailhead easy to find, new-bigger and improved-parking. Gazebo can be hiked as a loop: in about 5 min hike in, you’ll come up to a JCT (well marked), go straight for more direct, steeper incline hike; or take right for more leveled (in comparison) trail with switch backs. Both trails marked orange. Good lake view, as well as of Cleverdale and Assembly Point. Past the Gazebo is blue trail to the seasonal waterfall. Semi-leveled trail in the woods, will bring you to small waterfall kids will adore. Return to the Gazebo same way. Round trip hike: 2 hrs in shape hiker, 3.5 hrs out of shape hiker. Round trip: 3 miles

My home hike. The addition of the new parking lot last year was a god send. Love taking the dog up after work. The views are spectacular. But over crowded during the summer but I go later and take a headlamp.

Sweet view of Lake George. in 15 minutes you will hike straight up (pretty strenuous) to a gazebo overlooking the lake. Then you can take a trail to the waterfalls which is great for trail running. We went mid summer and there was no waterfall to be seen but was still a nice path through the woods. If you want a short hike with a good workout, just go to the gazebo and back.

Went the extra mile to see the waterfall, beautiful partially frozen

Rocky but nice and steady hike. Loved the wildflower field at the top and the view from the gazebo (hiked this August 1). This is a hike I would want to do again near peak foliage or after the snow melts and Spring has sprung! :-)

Very steep to the gazebo then it "flattens" out to the waterfall. Per my Fitbit it was right about 4 miles in and out.

Very steep! Definitely moderate for me, though I was passed by a few people in much better shape than me! As a beginner, I found it hard but not impossible. It's a very quick hike to the gazebo, about 0.5 mile, and I came straight down after that (I wanted to do the whole loop but got confused). Overall, a good hike. The views at the gazebo are beautiful.

Plenty of parking, well maintained and marked trails. The orange loop has a strong elevation gain so moderate is a fair assessment. Great view from the gazebo. 37 minutes up via northern trail, 24 minutes down via southern trail.

Nice hike. Took my four kids ages 5 - 12! Gazebo was cool. I would rate this as easy and not moderate though! Well marked.

Awesome trail even better at sunset

Very easy hike, pretty views of Lake George. I suggest doing the pinnacle if you want a better view though, the summit is more open.

Steepest part is up to the gazebo. Then follow the blue trail to the water fall. Cross over the water and take the other part of the blue trail to the top of the water falls. It then loops back around to the bottom of the falls.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

fun trail to do as a family

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Very easy and short climb to summit. Took two out of shape hikers 35 mins to the top beutiful views

Sunday, June 11, 2017

The hike was intense once your at the top its breathtaking, we made our way to the waterfall as well. I wish they had how many miles to each location that way people know whether to continue or not. The path to the waterfalls was very muddy, on the way back to parking lot you had to very careful going down hill.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Beautiful view of the lake from the gazebo Another 400' to a waterfall, which was flowing nicely today, though it's frequently a trickle in the summer.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Fun! A nice view for not much work. It is incline all the way to the gazebo, so keep in mind if you haven't been out in a while!

Monday, June 05, 2017

In spite of the ran, I found myself with some time this afternoon and decided to use it hiking this preserve. I'm glad I did! The weather meant I had it all to myself!

4.5 miles total distance and a little more than 1500' total elevation change made for a reasonably challenging hike. There were some muddy spots in the trail, but nothing that couldnt be easily crossed or navigated around. The falls are very cool to see, especially from the top, and the view from the gazebo is quite nice as well.

Overall a great place to bring the family, and enjoy a day out! I would give this warning to hikers though: stay on the MARKED trails! There are places that appear to be trails, but without the trail blazes on the trees. There are only 2 trails up there: orange and blue. Be sure to stick those when exploring.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

This is about a 2 hr hike in and out, with a few rest stops on the way. The view from the gazebo is nice. We continued on the blue trail to the waterfall. About 4 miles round trip. Saw a red fox on the trail just sitting and staring at us.