Pillsbury Mountain

Pillsbury Mountain is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Pleasant, New York that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is best used from April until October.

Pillsbury Mountain is one of the highest peaks in the southern Adirondacks at 3,597 feet in elevation! The views are only accessible on the fire tower. Note: some may need to park at Sled Harbor Clearing and walk an additional 1.5 miles to the trailhead.

Wasn't expecting a strenuous hike but worth it

I recommend wearing a waterproof hiking boot. Also try to go on a Sunny day because you can climb up the fire tower and see everything.

I climbed this after finishing the West Canada Lakes loop hike with time to spare. The comments about the access road are legit - I was sketched out on a few spots even in my AWD Mazda. The climb is short and steep, and many sections are exactly as described in the other reviews - rocky, slippery, and muddy. I imagine it isn't too bad if you go when it is dry. The trail itself is very easy to follow. The view at the top by itself is ho-hum, but if you climb the fire tower there, it is absolutely stunning.

It was ABSOLUTELY worth trekking through mud and up steep rocks! The trail begins with a short bridge over a stream(great for photos). It gradually becomes steeper and eventually you are hiking through water and up steep rockslides. So, expect to get your shoes wet. But, the fire tower at the top is worth it all, especially with the view it gives you.

This is a short but intense climb. Wear hiking boots--sneakers will not cut it. The trail is rocky and steep in places. I went after a few days of rain so the trail was also very wet. Some spots had deep mud, and areas of exposed rock were very slippery. The bugs were thick, especially during the first half of the climb, but they subside somewhat as you gain elevation. The fire tower is a must--the cab is closed but you get amazing panoramic views from halfway up. I'd suggest waiting for a spell of dry weather if you want to try this trail.

The trail is steep but short. You can't see anything unless you have the guts to climb up the thrillingly high tower. The fire tower is higher than the others I have been before.

The drive into the trailhead is almost a difficult as the hike itself! Really nice hike, at least in good weather. The tower would be better if one could get the whole way up. That being said, what you can access gives some nice views. As stated in other reviews, the wind does whip around a bit on the tower.

This trail is not accessible with high snow. Perkins tract clearing becomes a snow mobile trail and that is still a half hour from the trailhead. Patiently waiting till spring for this hike. I have a 4x4 truck and there was absolutely no way I would make it to the trail head without getting stuck.

It was the one of the hardest three-mile hikes we've ever done. It was a lot of fun though. Chloe (my 4yo pit/lab mix) did awesome. Great exercise hike :-)

The only thing missing was the fire tower. It's there but as stated by some others it is in need of refurbishment. There was a good 40-50 mph wind at the top and I climbed up about two thirds of the tower way and took some pictures. I don't scare easily but the missing wire and the wind combined to keep me from going all the way to the cab. Either way the views are amazing.

I read on some other sites that the three unpaved roads to the trailhead keep some people from doing this hike. One of the websites said the third road was the worst. Some work must have been done because although it is single lane it was well graded and stoned and I was able to drive right to the trailhead. The second road was the worse of the three in my opinion but I easily made it.

This is what you should expect from a 1500 foot elevation gain in a mile and a half. It isn't something for the whole family but the trail does attempt to use the contour of the mountain to take some of the sting out of it. Also the false summit surprised me, I didn't look at a map prior to and when I got to the first plateau and saw there was more climb left, especially after having done Owls Head in the morning, I was a little deflated but pushed on.

Overall great views at the top and you have to work to get there. Don't be afraid of the access roads. They are easily passable and this hike is worth it.

About 1300 foot elevation change within a 1.6 mile hike. I would not recommend this hike just after a lot of rain since much of the trail is through hillside runoff. Hiking poles are recommended. Climbing up the fire tower is a must for this one since that is how you will get the amazing view!

Friday, August 12, 2016

Not a quick hike. Views were pretty good. The Fire watch tower is in rough shape. Boards are cracked and weathered. A lot of the wire is missing. Wouldn't recommend bringing children or dogs up it.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Great views from the tower. Well worth the steep climb.