Pillsbury Mountain

Pillsbury Mountain is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Pleasant, New York that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Pillsbury Mountain is one of the highest peaks in the southern Adirondacks at 3,597 feet in elevation! The views are only accessible on the fire tower. Note: some may need to park at Sled Harbor Clearing and walk an additional 1.5 miles to the trailhead.

This hike definitely wasn't as hard as I anticipated. It was enjoyable and fun. Doing it with fresh snow on the ground, I'm sure was easier in some ways as didn't have all the rocks and roots to contend with.
It was slippery with the snow and ice, as also had black ice didn't see until I was on my butt. Crampons would of worked better than Stabilicers for sure.
No problem getting to trail head with Subaru Car.
One more hike Vanderwhacker to finish the Indian Lake 4321 Challenge, my reasoning for doing Pillsbury again, as last time was 23 years ago.

Much nicer than I expected andas far as hard as a rating I would say moderate it was no more difficult than owls Head or Goodnow fire tower trails
It was muddy but a beautiful day
Sadly the tower is in disrepair but you must climb to see the view
I would do it again

We hiked from the trailhead labelled "Jessup River Wild Forest." Not sure if this was the Sled Harbor Clearing - or if we passed that earlier. The hike was 1.5 miles and a nice combination of climbing rocky sections and flatter forested sections. It was moderately difficult - my teenage son completed it in an hour but it took me 1 hour 15 minutes to reach the summit. The views from the firetower were beautiful - but someone had torn the mesh off several levels (pretty high up) so it was a bit treacherous to climb up to the top. We spend 40 minutes relaxing on the summit - some beautiful hemlocks and deciduous trees with bright orange/red berries - mountain laurel? The drive was tough in my Mazda 3 but we did it. about 6 - 8 miles - we took different routes in and out. And on the way our, we saw a jack rabbit, which led us on a chase down the road. And then, a black panther. I don't expect anyone to really believe we saw it - crossing the dirt road - but it had a long black tail and looked like a big black cat. 40# plus. Wow!!

Cool hike, dont really know why its labeled hard. I def broke a sweat and the ascent is pretty constant. All in all very doable. People on here didnt lie about the roads though. They do in fact suck and Im glad this trip is behind me. I was genuinely worried about effing my car up but in the end made it without bumping into any oncoming traffic. I drive an 07 Impala and didnt bottom out once but def had to take it very slow. Was probably on the dirt roads for close to an hour. The Perkins Tract is most certainly a maze back there. Somewhat dissappointed this trip report turned into a road conditions report. Geodetic stamp on top of Pillsbury not to be missed. At 3597ft this little mountain is certainly right up there. Firetower itself is pretty haggard and sketchy. Chicken wire everywhere including the ground to where it has fallen. Walked up about halfway and called it, lol. Under two hours back safely at car and Im a slow hiker.

Harder than I was led to believe from locals. They rated moderately difficult. It was hard! But the view from the Fire Tower was worth the sweat. The entrance sign said 1.2 mi. Don't believe it! Closer to 1.5-2 mi each way.

Great hike mostly up whole time but not crazy great view from tower
Another tower down 2 hours round trip

Getting to the trailhead is difficult with a small car, but the hike was great! I was expecting a difficult climb, but it was a very enjoyable, easy hike. Views from the fire tower were great, although it is in rough shape. A very nice day hike!

Wasn't expecting a strenuous hike but worth it

I recommend wearing a waterproof hiking boot. Also try to go on a Sunny day because you can climb up the fire tower and see everything.

I climbed this after finishing the West Canada Lakes loop hike with time to spare. The comments about the access road are legit - I was sketched out on a few spots even in my AWD Mazda. The climb is short and steep, and many sections are exactly as described in the other reviews - rocky, slippery, and muddy. I imagine it isn't too bad if you go when it is dry. The trail itself is very easy to follow. The view at the top by itself is ho-hum, but if you climb the fire tower there, it is absolutely stunning.

It was ABSOLUTELY worth trekking through mud and up steep rocks! The trail begins with a short bridge over a stream(great for photos). It gradually becomes steeper and eventually you are hiking through water and up steep rockslides. So, expect to get your shoes wet. But, the fire tower at the top is worth it all, especially with the view it gives you.