Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Learn more

Phelps and Tabletop Mountains Trail

hard(197)
High Peaks Wilderness

Phelps and Tabletop Mountains Trail is a 13.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Placid, New York that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 13.8 miles Elevation Gain: 3,897 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Amazing trial conditions. Best time of season to be out. Micro spikes the whole way, stay on trail and have fun!

icy

I’ve done this trail in summer and winter conditions. Today was full on winter cold! -20F on my drive to the Loj, thankfully the temp managed to reach 0 by the time I parked. Phelps was calm on summit. Tabletop had some crazy cold wind. It’s a long day. 14 miles. Snowshoes all day, as per regulations, courtesy to others on trail and common sense at this point. The trail is well marked, and easy to follow. Technically Tabletop is an unmarked herd path, but it’s very easy to follow. Both mountains have great views, especially in winter. Be ready, and prepared. And enjoy the day!

Very tough 8.75 hour day. Snowshoes most of the way up, but crampons coming down the trails of Tabletop and Phelps with all the frozen streams. Back to snowshoes for the main trail.

Sat 1/18/20 - I Did the Phelps and Tabletop loop. The trails were fairly easy, not too icy. Most people were using snowshoes but the trails were really hard packed, so microspikes were ok also. Nice views on Phelps but I didn't get a look on Tabletop due to clouds, but I assume it was about the same. I planned to do Colden also, but I didn't due to the snow that evening. Probably would have been a really tough day to add Colden, especially in Winter, but most likely do-able.

icy

My wife and I hiked these today (1/04/20)....first winter high peaks. Snow was forecasted in Keene today 3-6 inches throughout the day. We summited Phelps first from ADK LOJ via Van Hoevenburg trail and Marcy Dam. Spikes were all that was needed. Easy going trek until the junction to Phelps- pretty steep and took a few breaks. Seemed to take forever to get to the summit. Once back down from Phelps take a left at the Phelps junction and continue onward to Table Top. Herd path for Table Top but trail is pretty easy to follow. It does get pretty narrow as you get closer to the summit. The snow picked up by then- probably could have used snow shoes but we stuck with out spikes. The trail was very slick due to the ice and snow accumulation by the time we were heading down. Great hikes though...we started around 8:00 and finished around 4:00. Apple watch logged 14mi round trip. Parking at LOJ is $12.

Good, long, hard trail. Trails are very muddy and wet right now. Like sink half way up your calf deep. little bit of ice, little bit of snow → not really a big deal

We started this hike at 6:30 from the Loj. The trail to Marcy Dam is easy and flat, and we decided to head to Tabletop first. The herd path to Tabletop was easy to follow but very wet and muddy. Make sure you have waterproof boots or extra socks or it'll be a long day. The summit of Tabletop offered a mediocre view since the trees were still well above eye-level. When you get back to Van Hoevenburg Trail off of Tabletop, make sure you go left to Indian Falls. It's only about a minute long walk and it is one of the most beautiful places in the Adirondacks. Take some time to enjoy the view and even have lunch there. The trail to the summit of Phelps was in much better condition than that of Tabletop and was much less wet and muddy. There are multiple spots at the summit of Phelps to enjoy the views. The hike took us 7 hours with a few long breaks to eat. I definitely recommend Phelps as it is a relatively easy summit that still offers great views. I would not necessarily recommend Tabletop unless you are trying to get all 46 High Peaks, although it was very peaceful and quiet at the top due to it being a less popular peak.

Great hike! Longer and harder than anticipated! First three miles are flat and quick. We did table top first- lots of run off from recent rain made for a wet slick climb. Last 1/2 mile through a LOT of mud- wished I’d worn water proof boots and brought extra socks! Had the trail mostly to ourselves. The spur to Phelps feels like more than the 1 mile posted on the trail marker and more than the 1.2 listed on the map. It’s steep and hard but views are beautiful. We don’t hike fast but steady- out at 6:30 back by 4- with 1/2 hour rests at both peaks. 9 hrs hiking Approx Algonguin/Iroquois/wright is in my opinion a better trail with better views so if you’re choosing one or the other hike in the area would recommend Algonquin.

This was not an easy hike. The first few miles were easy until you’re at the split for tabletop and Phelps. We did tabletop first and that wasn’t too bad. I advise others not to hike tabletop after it has rained for a few days before. It was VERY muddy and we walked through puddles that you couldn’t really avoid. We then came back down and did Phelps. That is a true workout. Very steep, a lot of roots to trip on and huge rocks you have to climb up when you’re closer to the top. The view is absolutely beautiful and worth every minute of torture that we went through going up. We hiked this in about 9 hrs and that was with 20-30 minute breaks on each peak, and a few other stops to tighten our boots and get water. We’re about average/slower hikers.

My phone died so I wasn’t able to do the whole recording . Alas! Tabletop and Phelps completed. Start time 722 am end time 430 pm. Yes I am a slow hiker. I completed Tabletop first. Seemed pretty easy ... but Phelps seemed like way more than the MILE it was marked for. Absolutely stunning , spectacularly views on Phelps! Loved this hike. 15 miles total. Weather was perfect today. Just a side note.... I arrived at the Adk Loj lot at 645 am and there were only 13 spots left according to the very kind girl at the lot station. She wished me well and said I was lucky. Well and lucky I was! Met a lot of cool people along the trail. Busy day! People from Germany and Ireland in the house ! The first few miles in are relatively flat like most reviewers are commenting on. I suggest you hustle then ! Lots of neat camping spots too and a couple of lean tos. Happy trails !

The hike wasn't all that bad, mostly flat til you get to the actual mountain trail. There was some mud toward the top of Tabletop. Some great views from both Phelps and Tabletop. Clocked in at 12.5 including Indian Falls. It took us 6 hours and 45 minutes with 15 minute breaks on each summit. It was a beautiful day.

Tabletop was a lot of fun I thought and the mud was not as bad as I was expecting. Phelps was a tried and true adk calf burner.

Great hike to bag two more of the 46 in one day. Strongly recommend doing tabletop first since the view isn’t great and there’s not a lot of space, but the view from Phelps makes it all worth it! Fantastic view and plenty of open space to sit and eat lunch and sunbath. The first 4 miles are so are flat/low grade ascent allowing you to up the pace and make up time for the ascents up each. Tabletop can get slick with all the stones and roots so be sure to wear proper footwear, especially if it’s rained recently. If you’re feeling up to it, make the extra little bit past the tabletop trailhead to Indian Falls, that should make up for the lackluster summit of Tabletop. Was able to complete in 7 hours including 10 min to rest on tabletop and 25 to eat on Phelps.

This hike was not accurate on mileage came in around 15 miles. Phelps has great views but is steep as is tabletop. Only do Tabletop if you intend to be a 46ier. Some views but trail is washed out and muddy on top.