Learn more

Pharaoh Mountain Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Schroon, New York that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 9.1 mi Elevation gain 1,870 ft Route type Out & Back
Dog friendly Fishing Hiking Nature trips Snowshoeing Bird watching Forest Lake Views Waterfall Wild flowers Wildlife Bugs Muddy Rocky Scramble
Description
Waypoints (4)
Contact
Tips

Nice trail, moderate for most of the hike, but does get very steep toward the summit. A short climb up a nice mountain in the southern Adirondacks with great views over a lake with the same name. This approach from Crane Pond is less steep then the eastern side one from Pharaoh Lake. From the top you will have great views in every direction over the vast Pharaoh Lake wilderness. This is a great hike for every season.

Visit the Adirondacks Regional Tourism Site www.visitadirondacks.com

Directions to Crane Pond Trailhead: Take exit 28 off of I-87 and continue south on Route 9 to Alder Meadow Road. Turn onto this road and continue straight for 6.5 miles (don't go up the hill at the split). If you don't have 4x4 you can park around the y-split and walk the 2 miles of rough road, or you can drive it (check out photo in POI #2). If you have 4x4 follow the road to Crane Pond and park before the register.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (187)
Photos (300)
Recordings (146)
Completed (328)
Paul Bell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 21, 2020
HikingGreat!

The splendid fall day began with 37°F temp at the start of the Crane Pond Jeep Road. Then we walked 2.0 miles on the jeep road to the pond campsite area. (BTW, the road has a long history of poor maintenance, so unless you have a very high-clearance vehicle, I would not recommend driving on it.) Then, from the edge of Crane Pond, we took the 0.6-mile trail to Glidden Marsh. At the trail junction, we turned right for the 2.3 mile ascent to Pharaoh Mountain. There is a lovely walk through a sizable hemlock grove, following red blazes. But don’t be fooled. This becomes a somewhat challenging hike of 4.9 miles total one way which took us 3 hours, 25 minutes from the start of the jeep road to the summit. The summit is poorly marked, as others have said. Look for a herd path with new yellow blazes to the former fire tower location. The views from the summit are to the north and west, including Paradox Lake and well beyond. (But trail guides suggesting the view is 360° seem wrong/very dated, in my view.) With today’s clear skies and perfect temperature, the summit was a great spot for lunch. On our entire 10-mile round trip, we saw only four other hikers! I would not recommend this hike for small children or inexperienced hikers.

Marie Kelly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 21, 2020
Hiking

We hiked the loop from Crane Pond to Pharoah Mountain via Longswitch Trail (Glidden Marsh Trail) to West Shore Trail up the back side (steeper and more difficult) of Pharoah Mountain and down the front side (easier and more gradual descent) which made for a nice 12.7 mile lollipop route. It was a beautiful day today with temps in the upper 40’s to mid 50’s with full sun. The summit was a bit confusing to find coming from this direction, however, once found, it turned out to be spectacular. I would argue that there is not a 360 degree view from the top, but it was impressive nevertheless.

Robert Coleburn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 16, 2020
HikingGreat!

I thoroughly enjoyed this hike. I walked the very pleasant 2 mile road to get to the trail head. I've done a lot of hikes in the high peaks but the forest in the Pharaoh Wilderness felt different to me. Very large trees with quite a bit of space between them and not very much under growth - which lets you see through the forest for hundreds of feet. Lovely water features along the way. There was hardly any wind today so the forest was whisper quiet. On this Tuesday I saw maybe 10 people. Hike is dog friendly. I would rate this hike moderately strenuous. 9 - 10 miles RT. Mostly gradual ascent with some steep parts towards the summit.

Liz Chapman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 13, 2020
Hiking

This trail should not be rated as hard. Yes, it is long. Yes, there are some challenging points but overall this is a very doable mountain considering 4 of the 9+ miles listed were a road walk. The road isn't in the best shape but it is easier than some terrain locally. At the top the official summit isn't well marked but there is a well worn path to the right that allows access. I could have driven my jeep to the 2nd lot but decided not to as parts of the road are questionable. Overall it was much easier than expected based on the reviews and ratings here. Prepare for a moderate, long hike.

Debra Berrios
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 12, 2020

Easy. 2/3 of the trail was either completely flat or very gradual. last 1/2 mile gets a little steep but no worries. Road walk is the better choice unless you have a truck. Explore the summit, take the herd paths and explore. see HP region and all mountain ranges from every direction. no mud , dry and super pleasant. Views are great with little effort to get there!

Marie Grimmke
HikingGreat!

I parked in the first lot and my car’s undercarriage thanked me all the way home. The trail was in much better shape than the access road- and a crisp early fall day with blue skies made the hike wonderful. Although the walk in adds miles, it’s a pretty and interesting walk along Crane Pond. I would say that the trail is mostly moderate at the end, not even really all that steep- but my gps read 10.5 miles so a bit long unless you park close. Beautiful day and trail.

Liz Chapman
View Liz's Recording
Linda Sullivan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 8, 2020
View Linda's Recording
Steve Cosgrove
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 7, 2020

Long and hard

View Steve's Recording
Jab Aldrich
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 7, 2020
View Jab's Recording
Katie L
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Beautiful views, definitely worth the climb. lots of steep-ish slabs at the top, very wet the day I went. Easier to maneuver for the dog then for me!

midas160 User
View midas160's Recording
Colin Daniels
Hiking

No bugs! I once made the mistake of hiking this in mid June and...never again. Vehicle access roads at the beginning are a bit boring but the views at the ponds and the summit itself are totally worth it.

View Colin's Recording
Simeon Minukhin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020
HikingGreat!

We parked on Highway #74 and took Blue trail to the Pharaoh Mountan. My Fitbit showed 14 miles up and back. I am most proud of our little Papillon, she did it beautifully. Steep near the summit, but rewarding. views are gorgeous and almost 360. Make sure you are explore the top to see all the sides of the mountain.

Kellie Engelmeier
Hiking

This was my second ADK mountain hike. We did it as a part of a larger backpacking trip so I hiked this with a pack loaded for a multi-day hike. The incline definitely was challenging with carrying that much weight. I imagine I would have floated up without it (Just kidding!) The incline is moderate but totally doable. We took a few breaks on the way up. The view from the top is wonderful and we spent a long time at the summit. There are a few different outlooks but if you look carefully you will see a marker in the rock for the summit as you explore them. We also did the trail down the other side of the mountain (not marked on this route but there is another All Trails route for this) that side seemed steeper and required a little hang and climb down/drop maneuver from me (I'm 5'2'').

Tom Austin
HikingGreat!

Parked at the first lot and enjoyed the 2 mile hike to Crane Pond. The trail was easy to follow and well maintained. Views from the summit were great - perfect sunny weather on a late summer day.

View Tom's Recording
Mark Wells
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 4, 2020
Paddle sports
View Mark's Recording
Keith White
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 31, 2020
Hiking

Very nice trail. Perfect weather, no bugs. A couple of large wet spots to cross, but my socks never even got wet! Definitely worth the hike, even though it’s not a high peak.

View Keith's Recording
Brittany Hill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 30, 2020
HikingGreat!

I parked at the first parking lot and regret nothing. I drive an AWD SUV, but the road to second parking lot had quite a few deep craters with mud so first lot was the better option. Adds a few miles, but it’s easy trekking and pretty to look at. Really pleasant hike that keeps that heart pumping, but doesn’t get overwhelming. It rained yesterday all day so the rocks to the summit were a little slick. Streams cross the trail in several spots. Super easy to cross. The dogs are exhausted! Apple Watch clocked me at 10 miles.

Jeremy Roberts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 26, 2020
HikingGreat!

Trail was great, took my 3 kids and navigated the terrain well! Gets pretty steep but it is worth the hike!

Maejen Amelio
Hiking

I loved this trail! We parked at the first parking area which added about 4 miles to our day. In hindsight, we would've been able to park in the final parking area without too much difficulty. The hike was very enjoyable and fairly easy. The final stretch up to the summit isn't very well marked but we managed just fine. The views at the top were gorgeous and there are multiple lookout points around the top of the mountain. I spent a lot of time exploring, enjoying the views and relaxing at the summit.

View Maejen's Recording
Anthony Umina
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 24, 2020
HikingGreat!

Hiked 8/23/20. Pharaoh Mountain was just little over 9 miles round trip from the first parking lot. The road from the first to second parking lot is quite rocky but I saw many trucks and even some other SUVs handling the road. The trail itself is nicely maintained and easy to follow. Different viewpoints at the summit to enjoy the view. Bugs weren’t a problem for when I went. If you’re looking for a moderate hike that’s not a high peak this one is definitely fun. Could even enjoy the lake at the second parking lot for a post hike swim.

Erin Casey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2020
HikingScramble
View Erin's Recording
Jill Pederson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 2, 2020
HikingBridge outMuddy
View Jill's Recording
sara frederick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 16, 2020
HikingBugsMuddyRocky

This was not my favorite hike. We started from the first parking lot and that adds 2 miles to the hike each way. It’s not hard just annoying. The bugs were awful. I stopped counting after I killed 40 mosquitos. We did this in early June so maybe they aren’t as bad in the later summer. The hike is well shaded but the rocks become wet. I slipped a few times even with hiking boots. The last mile is where you gain the most elevation but it’s not very difficult if you are an avid hiker. Good views at the top but not worth the 5 miles in bug city to get there. Happy I completed it for my adk29 probably won’t do it again.

Erin Hayner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 7, 2020
Hiking

Loved this trail! Majority of the hike is through a very enchanted mossy forest that is pretty level with a moderate elevation gain up to 800 feet (approx). As you get closer to the summit the trail narrows and the roots and rocks take over. It makes it feel as if it is just your group navigating in the middle of nowhere in a bushwhack that no one traverses. The moss was slippery on the rocks...so hike carefully. The last portion of the hike (about a mile) is a very quick elevation gain from about 800 feet (approx) to 1600 feet (approx). Since it is up the rocks, you gain elevation quickly, but you work for it. We thought we saw a bear track, so we got out our bear bell and started making lots of noise as we hiked, while also banging our poles. Be prepared with some songs to sing loudly if you start getting the feeling something is watching you. The mosquitoes were present from the parking lot. As soon as you opened a door or a window they swarmed in. So be prepared with deet, headnet, or whatever you use to avoid them. We did not have any issues with black flies, or deer flies. Also, some poison ivy on or near the trail but not a whole ton. If you have a Jeep- Truck- 4 wheel drive, it is worth it to drive into the second parking lot...although the road is quite eroded and it will be a rough ride. I forgot to add the views...we hit four points including the summit with breathtaking views...so keep an eye out as you are climbing for some rocks to climb up on and look out. You can see more than 3 waterways and the high peaks. Definitely one I would recommend.