Partridge Run Trails is a 11.1 kilometer lightly trafficked loop trail located near Berne, New York that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.1 km Elevation Gain: 239 m Route Type: Loop

NOTE: Hunting and trapping are primary uses of this property. This area is managed to provide wildlife habitat and to provide wildlife dependent uses, such as hunting, trapping and wildlife observation. While most of the hunting activity occurs between September 1st and April 1st, there are a few species that can be hunted any time of the year. Trapping season generally is open from late October to early April (varies by species). This is not a park or a preserve with amenities for users. Hikers need to be prepared. Maps of the property are posted at 7 different informational kiosks located around the property. Visitors are encouraged to review the map at the trailhead or follow the map on AllTrails. Cell service at the property is very poor. Partridge Run is a state wildlife management area about 45 minutes from Albany. Most of the trails are old roads, gravel or just dirt. In the winter, they are used by x-country skiers. Mountain biking is also popular here. Dogs are not prohibited but they should be on a leash under the direct control of the owner. This property is not a place for people to walk their dogs. Visitors can do a clock-wise loop visiting many of the area's ponds (Wood Duck Pond, White Birch Pond, Fawn Lake, Tubbs Pond, Wood Pond, Becker Pond). There is a pretty waterfall near Partridge Run Road. A path leads down to it at the "No Camping" sign. Part of this hike is along the Long Path (marked with aqua paint).

I don’t think I’ve ever encountered so many bugs in my life. Saw one waterfall. We turned back because a group of boys were practicing shooting just off the trail. Saw another hiker who said they are there every day. Not a peaceful hike.

Good trails. Very wide. Most is through old dense forest. My wife and two daughters (5 and 7 years old) walked from the Ravine Rd trail head. Completed the large loop without including the spur with the small loop. Almost 4 miles. Would recommend to friends.

When I have been there I parked in the lot on Rt 6 closest to Rt 85. It is an easy hike with some great waterfalls along the way. When I went a month ago it was a nice pleasant hike, but when I took my wife there yesterday it was very buggy and my wife couldn‘t stand it.

flooded

Enjoyable day out on this trail this weekend. Weather was enjoyable at 50's. Trail was a bit muddy but it rained day prior. Did not find trail to really be overgrown as others had said. my only complaint was I had wish Id known the waterfalls were a bit more off trail but still doable if your up for it.

a nice easy trail if you are looking to spend of time in the woods instead of hiking to a summit. as you can tell by the map you can very easily checkout 8 ponds but there is also 4 unnamed waterfalls. i park at the redbelly trail where the first 2 falls are. the first one is near the parking lot and is the smallest for the 4 but there is a really cool stonewall just a few feet from the falls. these 2 falls i'll assume will dry up as the summer and fall months come. if you just want to see the falls click on this link. you can open this link on you cell and you'll find them very easily. https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=42.562264925816386%2C-74.12889901223718&spn=0.024212%2C0.034289&t=p&z=13&mid=1U0Hf6GrDSMzViC1-5Lo0-3bWkwo

bridge out
closed

First, Ravine Rd. (Rte. 6) is closed 1 mi. south of trailhead. Major bridge construction. You can't get there from the south, and you can't get past it from the east part of the loop. There might be a way, but we didn't find it and gave up and walked up the road. On the plus side, the small part we did was scenic -- meadows, small ponds, waterfalls. On the negative side, things have not improved since the previous comment was posted. Now the plants in some areas are over waist high. It's like following a deer trail in some places. Jeans and long sleeves needed!

recorded Partridge Run

Sun Sep 16 2018

Trail was completely unkept, with knee high grass and no work arounds to avoid it. Was really looking forward to this hike, only made it part was through before turning back.

Tue Jun 27 2017

I hiked on part of this Preserve yesterday with my wife and grandson and enjoyed it. I parked in a lot at the beginning of Partridge Run Road off Route 6 and followed the turquoise blazes down Partridge Run Road and found a couple beautiful waterfalls in the stream below and found trails down to them. Then we continued on Partridge Run Road over two bridges, one barricaded to prevent motor traffic. Also saw newts, a toad, and some wildflowers including wild roses.

Fri Aug 12 2016

Trail is not well marked. Grass is very tall. Water was dried up, but maybe it will be a redo when the waterfall is running.

Mon May 30 2016

Didn't finish the trail for it was lightning and thundering so will be back ... Nice for fishing for sure ...

Sat Mar 19 2016

I hiked this trail on 3-19-16. If you choose to hike this trail, I strongly recommend printing a map and knowing how to read it. The trails were generally marked with orange discs and green blazes. We saw a few waterfalls along the way, and a few ponds. We spotted pheasants, ducks, pileated woodpeckers, robins and many other birds during our visit. We did not have time to hike all the trails and will be back again.

Tue Oct 13 2015

I liked this hike - it is mostly snowmobile trails marked with orange blazes or green painted on trees. Not hard to follow and nice scenery. Hiked a total of 8.25 miles and saw about 3 ponds and a couple decent waterfalls.

Sun Oct 11 2015

The sites are beautiful! I went with my fiancé during leaf peeping season the gold and red of the leaves were breathtaking. We even saw a deer running though the woods only a few feet from the trail. The lake and pond were gorgeous and made for beautiful photos. However the constant sounds of gun fire and passing a hunter was unnerving. The trail was not clearly marked. And at some point it seemed to just end. We ended up just barreling through the woods until we found the road, which we walked back to our car. The trail is marked dog friendly. But with hunters all over the place I wouldn't recommend bringing them. Also when we got home we realized our pooch was covered in ticks.

Sun Oct 11 2015

I hiked this trail and I have to say I was pretty let down. overall the scenery was nice and the hike itself was pretty easy. however the trails are horribly marked and just trying to figure out what way your supposed to go adds quite a bit of stress and unwanted time to your hike. I wouldn't go back here again.

Sun Jun 05 2011

I am baffled that hunting is not on the list of activities. I have hunted partridge run many times before and as well as the views being impeccable, the hunting is also very good. I strongly suggest this to my fellow sportsmen and women.