Partridge Run

Partridge Run is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Berne, New York that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Partridge Run is a state forest about 45 minutes from Albany. Most of the trails are old roads - gravel or just dirt. In the winter, they are used by x-country skiers. Mountain biking is also popular here. At the trailhead is a map, and paper copies may be available. There are several other parking areas and trailheads in this area - leading to different hikes than described here. Some of the trails are rutted from illegal ATV use. Visitors can do a clock-wise loop visiting many of the area's ponds (Wood Duck Pond, White Birch Pond, Fawn Lake, Tubbs Pond, Wood Pond, Becker Pond). There is a pretty waterfall near Partridge Run Road. A path leads down to it at the "No Camping" sign. Part of this hike is along the Long Path (marked with aqua paint).

I hiked on part of this Preserve yesterday with my wife and grandson and enjoyed it. I parked in a lot at the beginning of Partridge Run Road off Route 6 and followed the turquoise blazes down Partridge Run Road and found a couple beautiful waterfalls in the stream below and found trails down to them. Then we continued on Partridge Run Road over two bridges, one barricaded to prevent motor traffic. Also saw newts, a toad, and some wildflowers including wild roses.

Trail is not well marked. Grass is very tall. Water was dried up, but maybe it will be a redo when the waterfall is running.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Didn't finish the trail for it was lightning and thundering so will be back ... Nice for fishing for sure ...

Saturday, March 19, 2016

I hiked this trail on 3-19-16. If you choose to hike this trail, I strongly recommend printing a map and knowing how to read it. The trails were generally marked with orange discs and green blazes. We saw a few waterfalls along the way, and a few ponds. We spotted pheasants, ducks, pileated woodpeckers, robins and many other birds during our visit. We did not have time to hike all the trails and will be back again.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

I liked this hike - it is mostly snowmobile trails marked with orange blazes or green painted on trees. Not hard to follow and nice scenery. Hiked a total of 8.25 miles and saw about 3 ponds and a couple decent waterfalls.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

The sites are beautiful! I went with my fiancé during leaf peeping season the gold and red of the leaves were breathtaking. We even saw a deer running though the woods only a few feet from the trail. The lake and pond were gorgeous and made for beautiful photos. However the constant sounds of gun fire and passing a hunter was unnerving. The trail was not clearly marked. And at some point it seemed to just end. We ended up just barreling through the woods until we found the road, which we walked back to our car. The trail is marked dog friendly. But with hunters all over the place I wouldn't recommend bringing them. Also when we got home we realized our pooch was covered in ticks.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

I hiked this trail and I have to say I was pretty let down. overall the scenery was nice and the hike itself was pretty easy. however the trails are horribly marked and just trying to figure out what way your supposed to go adds quite a bit of stress and unwanted time to your hike. I wouldn't go back here again.

Sunday, June 05, 2011

I am baffled that hunting is not on the list of activities. I have hunted partridge run many times before and as well as the views being impeccable, the hunting is also very good. I strongly suggest this to my fellow sportsmen and women.