Palenville Overlook and Sleepy Hollow Loop

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(67)
Catskill Park

Palenville Overlook and Sleepy Hollow Loop is a 12.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Palenville, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, birding, and snowshoeing and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length12.4 miElevation gain2,762 ftRoute typeLoop
Dogs on leashHikingNature tripsSnowshoeingBird watchingForestWildflowersWildlifeBugsMuddy
Waypoints (0)
Photos (198)
Activities (54)
Completed (142)
Sean Szczygiel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 9, 2021
Hiking

We only did the small loop due to daylight, trail is snow covered but not too deep, goretex shoes are a good idea, better to ascent up the east side and descend from the west.

View Sean's activity
Dana Chilly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 7, 2020
View Dana's activity
Deven Kersch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 4, 2020
View Deven's activity
Alison Macdonald
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 22, 2020
Hiking

Did the loop counter clockwise- steeper ascent and longer descent. The descent had beautiful trees, but the views and lookouts were in the beginning. Pretty and easy hike for novice hikers.

View Alison's activity
Adriana Longhitano
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 18, 2020
Hiking

so me and my husband set out today to explore the gorgeous fall foliage and avoid as many people as possible in the process...we can across this trail at a less populated trailhead and decided to chance it. this hike was challenging, fun, beautiful views throughout the duration of the trail and Palenville Overlook was spectacular this time of year! lots of switchbacks, a few rock scrambles and leaves galore!

View Adriana's activity
Michael Circe
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 11, 2020
View Michael's activity
Mellisa Higgins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 10, 2020
View Mellisa's activity
Thomas Musser
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 7, 2020
HikingGreat!Scramble

Nice elevation gains. Great overlook views. the trail could be marked a little better, it was easy to follow the trails but not always easy to tell one trail from another. Hence we bought a Nat Geo map.

Elena L
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 13, 2020
Hiking

Quarry trail is an unmarked trail with fairly significant elevation on loose rock. Palenville Outlook is nice payoff, with nice stone chairs to sit in to take in the views.

View Elena's activity
Timothy Newell
View Timothy's activity
Cindy Volkert
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 13, 2020
View Cindy's activity
Aneta Crown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 7, 2020
BackpackingGreat!

It's a great trail with even better views! Make sure to bring plenty of water because it's pretty dry going up (at least when I went!).

Byron Sanchong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 1, 2020
View Byron's activity
Dan Mule
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
HikingBugsMuddyRockyScramble

Did this over the weekend and slept at the overlook. It was SURREAL. It was the most beautiful campsite I have ever backpacked at. However, I did see a male black bear on my way up but he kept his distance, as did I. He wanted little to do with me. At night, a bear cub approached my camp and I scared it off. On the way down, the next morning something bit my ankle. I determined it wasn't a tick but it was bad enough that the small bite mark on my ankle caused intense pain the entire day. It was my fault for not wearing high socks. I didn't see anyone else on this trail. The bugs flying in your face were pretty brutal as others have mentioned. I would STRONGLY recommend a head bug net form Amazon. It saved my butt. Just be prepared for ankle biters and black bears are active here. Keep your bear spray at the ready. Overall, let me salvage this review by saying I would undoubtedly do this trail again, just not alone next time!

Guillermo Alba
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 11, 2020
HikingBugs
Melony Eva
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2020
Hiking

We did this trail late, to watch the moon rise. what an amazing experience! This trail is a must! if your coming for the moon rise bring a head lamp. It's a pretty steady incline. It's worth the view! Just take your time, some loose rocks when you get further up. Mostly all skill levels can do this if they take their time. I would suggest boots or atleast hiking sneakers a head lamp If your going to watch the moon and bug spray.

Bradley Schwebler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 12, 2020
Hiking

This time we did the loop from Harding Road and back. This was 7.4 miles. There is a shorter way to get to Palenville Overlook. Go to North Lake State Park parking lot. Head east and find the Sleepy Hollow trail. Descend about half a mile to the junction with the Palenville Overlook Trail, an easy mostlly flat 3.4 miles out and back. The overlook is bit hidden. Head east from the fireplace, descending a bit more. When we hiked this time we followed blazed trails all the way to the overlook. Then I decided to take the quarry trail to return which has no markers to follow but most of the trail is clear. Use the Alltrails map as a guide. We passed through some near quarries, saw a redstart, a black rat snake, and a mama and baby bear. Towards the bottom it becomes a road with a couple houses.

Bradley Schwebler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 24, 2020
Hiking

I took friends up the Sleepy Hollow. Trail at the end of Mountain House Road. There were more lovely waterfalls on Stonykill Brook than I remember. There are also the remnants, foundation, of the Rip Van Winkle House and the lovely view at Little Pine Orchard. It is a nice gradual uphill hike. When we reach North Lake State Park it was eerily quiet and empty, but beautiful.

Annie Delisle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 14, 2020

I had time for Harding Trail only and back. Approximately 6 miles. Given it's early spring and trees just have buds there are some open areas and views of valley and Hudson river. Many little water falls, tons of chipmunks and birds. Very enjoyable and moderate burn with the ascend :-)

Darren Davidowich
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 7, 2020
Hiking

Nice loop up towards Inspiration Point then off on the horse trail to Palenville Overlook. Took the Quarry Trail back down - lots of pretty moss and small waterfalls.

View Darren's activity
Chantal M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 19, 2019
Hiking

From 23A parking lot up Harding rd trail almost 3 miles, then right at sign towards Palenville overlook, 1.2 miles, which you have to step off the yellow marked horse trail to find, 2nd trail right after the fireplace. From the overlook hug the cliff to the left of the chairs for the unmarked Quarry rd trail back to the parking lot. Quarry is on the app, but unmarked in the woods, but looks like a trail, so it's easy to follow. While I was on the Sleepy Hollow trail it didn't show up on the app, and that trail has a few turnoffs, and even though I'd done it once before, I would have liked the reassurance that I was heading to the overlook (since it starts the Quarry trail I needed to return to my car!) since the trail takes you away from the overlook, then back a nice flat section towards the cliff. On a beautiful Wednesday there was not another person in the woods that I saw. No scary wildlife either, but I do make a lot of noise. ALSO, can do the opposite direction. PS it's about 6/7 miles the way I did it.

Angela Edjang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 8, 2019
HikingBugsMuddyRockyScramble

Great hike but definitely alot of bugs and alot of scramble rocks and I just wish someone put a mark or a sign where the overlook section area is since my friend and I walked all the way down to the Campgrounds and walked back up passed the picnic area until we accidentally stumbled at he overlook section by curiosity such a beautiful view but you can definitely walk pass it since there is no Sign there indicating the Overlook spot is there. The trail is not a loop like Alltrails indicates it is out and back trail.

Jodi Jeannette
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 18, 2019
MuddyOver grown

nothing to add that wasn't said by Alyssa or Greg's reviews below. Attacking this from the Boulder/ Inspiration Points was so leaf filled and muddy and filled with flies that it was hard to fully appreciate, and we ended up turning around part way, but it was a good workout.