Owl's Head Mountain Trail

Owl's Head Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Long Lake, New York that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

First 2 miles are pretty easy. There's a few downed trees to hop over. The last mile is kinda steep and a lot of rocks to scramble up. If you have a dog you'll prob be lifting it up in a few places. The view from the fire tower is beautiful.

At the top now over looking amazing views! Hike was fairly easy the first 2 Miles. Started to climb last mile with lots of rocks and mixture of mud/water. 14th fire tower in the books. Definitely one of my favorites! Fire tower is open .

The views at the top were gorgeous ! First two miles are definitely easy but the last mile is challenging for anyone without experience hiking. Rather steep incline especially after the first false peak. Snow shoes highly recommended. Took us about 3 hours round trip with conditions

Everybody’s review is quite helpful. Just want to add that from photographing point of view that views will be partially blocked by the pine tree around fire tower. Also for the same reason, i would personally prefer go to Goodnow Mt. In the area.

I found this to be a challenging hike for me, as I'm a beginner. But the views at the top made everything worth it. The entire experience took us 4.5 hours with about 45 minutes or so spent at the summit. I loved it

Really nice hike starts with a pleasant walk they the woods
Not terribly difficult a few rocks to maneuver but all in all a pleasant day trip
Took 2 hours to go up and 1.5 to come down

The first mile is a pretty mellow hike... then there's 1.5 miles of incline to the old observer's cabin. From here it's all up! Requires a couple spots you need to do a bit of rock climbing, but it's worth it. Beautiful views on top.

First 2 miles is very flat with a few grades near the beginning of the trail but nothing too bad. Around 2.1 miles you hit the mountain and it does get steep in places but push through it! There's a small reprieve at the site of the old caretaker's cabin before the final stretch. Fire tower is worn but worth it and the views from the summit are well worth the effort

This trail is moderate in the beginning 2 miles. A few hilly and rocky areas. Then the last mile is quite steep and very rocky. We brought our Westie and Cairn Terriers along and had to lift them up some of the shear rock areas because they are short legged. The views were beautiful even before climbing the tower. The tower was recently repaired so it’s safe. Highly recommended if you want a good hike about 6 miles round trip.

This was a great hike abut of a challenge in some areas but, the view was so worth it

Great Hike with a rewarding view at the top. Great 350 view from Fire tower. Brought a picnic lunch and sat and enjoyed the view. Definitely not easy as some high rocky areas to climb. Trail was wet from yesterday's rain which didn't help.

Real good hike, pretty challenging in parts. The view from the top was awesome!

Great hike view was perfect. Steep towards the top

Very wet climb but the Views were Awesome. You didn't need to go up the Tower to view it. That's a plus. No bugs so we lucked out. Comparable views to my favorite Crane Mtn.

Absolutely stunning views.

Monday, April 03, 2017

Just got to the top of the mountain beautiful view and not to bad of a hike

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Great hike with some amazing views. Trail is easy to locate and follow.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

This would make a nice family hike. It has some length at 6.2 miles but if it wasn't for the portion after the observer cabin site I would rate it as easy.

There are a number of trees across the trail. It doesn't impede hiking but it needs some work for this seasons snowmobilers. Also the wooden walking planks and bridges need some work. The first few are nice but later there are many that are rotted out.

The view from the tower is awesome. This is a hike worth taking.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Pretty easy hike. Past the Observer's cabin there were a couple spots that I had to figure out maneuvering around with the little dude on my back but it was all manageable.

Monday, July 18, 2016

The first section of the hike was very easy - flat to gently rolling hills, but once you make your way up the mountain it gets steep fast. the last mile has a few sections that are rocky and steep.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Pretty easy out and back hike

Saturday, April 09, 2016

This was a nice trail that I did. The weather was chilly and there snow and ice out. The trail starts off with a climb, then it levels out until you get close to the summit.There was ice out and I had to use my microspikes to reach the summit. The views from the tower were nice. The only issue that I have is the elevation gain listed in AllTrails is incorrect, as the actual elevation gain was 1,519 ft. I would do this trail again when the weather is nice out.

Saturday, April 09, 2016

first let me start by saying that the elevation gain is not anywhere near the 737 feet. the true elevation gain is 1,519 ft. right at the start you are doing a pretty good incline. it levels off with some ups and downs... the last 3/4 of a mile was pretty challenging and I wish I had microspikes, as it was very steep and there were quite a few spots of thick ice.

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Very well kept trail with spectacular views. Last part of the trail can be a little challenging but overall a very nice hike. If climbing in the end of winter/early spring microspikes are a must. Quite a bit of ice.

Thursday, September 24, 2015

first two miles are easy enough. you can hike 4 miles from the camp site if you wish. The last mile is very very steep and a bit of a rough climb. The views are worth it and the tower is a great view.

Monday, September 07, 2015

Moderate hike. Great reward

Monday, October 21, 2013

A beautiful day for a snowshoe - 20 degrees, full sun and no wind. If you stay on trail the hike is 6.2 miles RT and is a moderate hike in winter. We did some exploring and ended up with a 7 mile RT full of great woods and a beautiful view. The majority of the trail is easy with the real up coming in at the end. The day we did it there was about a foot of fresh snow and combined with drift that led to some very deep spots which were fun. The very last part was steep and slippery with the snow which led to a lot of laughing and sliding backwards, our pup did better than we did. The fire tower has excellent views and is well worth the trip up if you are ok with heights (and it is still open). It took us about 7 hours which included some off trail exploring and at least an hour at the summit, great hike.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Just as the overview says, the first two miles are really easy. I did this hike yesterday June 10, 2013 just after a few days of rain in the region. It was muddy in spots, but that is to be expected. There are a few spots on the trail were you will have to traverse some downed trees, but nothing too bad. The last mile is where the real workout begins, but trust me the views are absolutely amazing at the top and even better if you climb the fire tower. This tower is still climbable, but be careful on the bottom set of steps. Also I noticed the concrete around the feet is starting to corrode so I don't know how much longer this tower will be safe. To make the day I was able to see a pair of Bald Eagles, so the last mile up the mountain was well worth the trip. I wouldn't suggest taking small children up this mountain as once you get close to the summit there are some rough spots you have to traverse. Also there is a den of snakes at the top. I am not sure what type, but I don't think they are poisonous. I will post a picture of one of them. I saw a total of about 4 of these on the rocks.