Butler Sanctuary Outer Loop

Butler Sanctuary Outer Loop is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mount Kisco, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 416 feet Route Type: Loop

This IS NOT the Butler Sanctuary! This is the Guard Hill Park off of West Patent Road. In all the hiking I did here I’ve only found 5 yellow blaze markers and 2 were on the ground. Not an easy trail to follow at all.

This is NOT the Butler Sanctuary. It is the Guard Hill Park off of West Patent Road in Bedford Hills/Mount Kisco, NY.

We're novice hikers in my family, and we found this trail to be a bit harder than we thought it would be. It was lovely, though, and VERY well marked. We hiked in on the red trail and then switched to the yellow as previous reviewers suggested. The yellow trail was a doozy, especially after we stopped for lunch (at a nice place with some rocks for sitting on and a bit of a view). I guess we expected it to get easier at the end, but it wasn't! Just a caution for those who think this is an easy walk. It's only easy if you're an experienced hiker.

Friday, August 17, 2018

Took the yellow and red loops. Yellow loop had a fair amount of walking up & downhill, but there was a beautiful vista at one point. A little noisy from the road, but got quieter along the path. Saw toads, chipmunks, & birds. Lots of mosquitoes because of sitting water throughout, so definitely bring bug spray & plan to reapply.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Beautiful but 684 is very loud. Truly a walk in nature and woods. Bring bug spray!!! The blue trail literally ended abruptly and there was Byram Lake I believe. Had to walk back the trail because there wasn’t a loop. Also, they’re working at the beginning of the trail to fix some things. Otherwise, serene if you play your own music (meditational). Fairy-like woods.

Sunday, June 17, 2018

More of a walk through the woods than a hike. Very relaxing and not crowded on a weekend. If you're expecting not to sweat, this is your pick.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Great hike. Kids and our dog enjoyed it. Got lost because the trails aren’t mark properly. Park was quite and not crowded.

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Varying slope keeps this hike interesting. Beautiful scenery once you get away from the road a bit. I recommend Red in and Yellow out. Moderate trail traffic.

Sunday, October 29, 2017

So many beautiful trails to choose from, peaceful and serene hiking any time of the year.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

This isn't advertised for trail running, but I found this to be an awesome running trail! There were enough hills to be challenging and soft ground to cushion knees. I made the mistake of going right when I started, but picked up another person's track when I got lost and ended up with a decent run. Will definitely be back!

Sunday, June 04, 2017

I love the bird/hawk watch.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

There are many chipmunks and also there is a plane for bird watching. I saw hawks or falcons - I did not understand. Orange trail on which you turn off from red, leads to the swamp and there two mites fell on me and on the path I met a snake that merged in color with a path, it's good that I looked under my feet. Do not turn onto the orange trail from red, if you do not want a mite or snake bite

Sunday, April 23, 2017

beautiful.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Road noise close to 684

Sunday, July 31, 2016

Pleasant walk, easy, well marked trails.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

This was a very nice trail, we followed the red trail to the yellow trail in a loop. It was very well marked and easy to navigate. It took us under 2 hours. The bird observation spot was pretty cool. If it wasn't 95 degrees today we would have stayed there a little longer. The trail was shaded the whole way so it didn't feel too hot. I would definitely come back again and try some of the other marked trails.

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Easy trail for all skill levels with some inclines to help vary the pace. Lots of chipmunks and squirrels for kids to enjoy looking at as well as Hawks and deer!

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Trail is very well maintained and marked. Definitely some challenging inclines, lots of toads on the trail and a good workout. We enjoyed our hike and will go again!

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Good for local 2 hr hike.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Easy trail to walk, great for beginners.

Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Well marked, well maintained. Some challenging sections. Very beautiful. Dog friendly!