Onteora Lake Trail

Onteora Lake Trail is a 7.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Kingston, New York that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

About a dozen miles of superb singletrack. Rocky sharkfins of slate. Lots of crags and pine. Scenic lakes. Some powerclimbs but not much elevation change

good hike. yellow loop was easy enough for our older dog

I love this walk.

Nice walk in the woods. It is possible to get lost up here as there are unmarked trails to nowhere. We wound up at little onteora. Mini scrambles were fun but not a challenge for wimpy middle aged guy. Bring bug repellant.

Easy run, had the trail nearly to myself and millions of mosquitos - as others have said, DEET or run.

Gorgeous, magical woods full of mushrooms today! Also swarming with mosquitoes. Bring deet or run.

A beautiful rambling trail through the woods, with a few fun rock formations to traverse for a little variety. Very relaxing, and bring your bathing suit!

Very nice variety of terrain and ecosystems. We hiked in mid-June, and with the foliage, did not have traffic noise. Hiked yellow-red-blue. Had a close run-by of a beautiful coyote being chased by someone's dog. The trails look like they would be fine to XC ski on, with no large rocks or steep sections.

(1) you only hear traffic if you don’t go in far
(2) this is more of a moderate than easy hike
(3) always have to watch where you are stepping
(4) great for dogs
(5) during the week you can walk the trail without running into anybody else

Enjoyable on a beautiful day! Definitely worth checking out for yourself.

Maybe I’m crazy but when i go on a easy hike i like to be able to look at nature and not have to watch every single step. Half of this hike is rocks. And since we went in March days after a storm we probably should have waited. It was icy and perilous. I would not score this as easy as children and the elderly would not be able to tackle most of the climbs and drops which don’t occur until it’s too late to turn around. And yes you hear the traffic on 28 the whole time.

Had a nice day hiking around the area. The only drawback was traffic noise.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Many different ecoclines, not too many ankle twisting rocks, and manageable elevation changes on the yellow trail.

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Great trails, some are very rocky.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

I found this to be a great hike for my family (wife, 8 yr old, 10 yr old, and dog). It was CD weekend so it was quite busy with lots of dogs; which made it even more fun for all of us. Trail took longer than expected with the kids and we should have taken more water/snacks. Lots of of nature and being near the lake was nice. I would definitely suggest it and will likely do it again.

Monday, October 09, 2017

It is a lovely easy walk. Beautiful woods and the occasional encounter with the lake makes it really special. The yellow trail is very well marked but we missed completely the directions to join the red loop. Which was a bummer, we wanted to have walked more. If warm, I would pack a towel and bathing suit. The begging of the trail has an area that offer easy access to the lake.

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Great hike. Two adults, a teenager and a 10 month old dog. We did the red and blue loop, about 5 miles. Mostly flat with some hills to keep it interesting. Well marked. Make sure to drive in the gravel road all the way to the end to the lot. Bring plenty of water. No real views, mostly wooded. But VERY quiet with few people.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Great trails. Choice of three connected loops that allows your hike to be 3,5 or 7 miles. Nice feel of Catskill trails without elevation, great for all levels. Easy to get to, just a few miles of exit 19 of NY Thruway87.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

This was our second hiking trail in NY on this trip and preferred the Adirondacks with its plush greenery. This trail had nice rock formations and lake views with Beaver dams. Good fishing and swimming area.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

bear here

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Beautiful, great paths. Don't forget a swimsuit to take a dip in the lake after hiking!

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Lovely

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

I can't figure out why this trail keeps getting poor reviews. It almost dissuaded me from trying it, but I only live around the corner and decided to give it a shot. No, the views cannot compare to say Overlook Mountain or Ashokan Reservoir. I was looking for a local, lengthy hike with varying terrain and inclines/declines. The best part about this place (other than the fabulous soundscapes, the beautiful springs peppering the landscape, and the evidence of the booming beaver population) is that you can choose up to three different loops, a combination, or all three. No matter what you choose, you get a satisfying hike. Given the close proximity to my house, I will definitely be making it out there every weekend from now on!

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

nice easy hike, pretty and enjoyable, but nothing to write home about.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Not too bad

Saturday, August 08, 2015

A little buggy but was cool finding the old car