North Point Summit Trail

North Point Summit Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near West Point, New York that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Finding the parking lot was tough- but once we got on the trail it was definitely worth the trip! The first portion is all downhill, which means you have a pretty intense section of elevation gain in the middle. Thankfully there were very stable stairs cut into the rock, and you had four or five lookouts with beautiful views of the river and Breakneck Ridge (always a good excuse for a breather). We didn't run into anybody on the trail either, which we were happily surprised with.

If you're looking for a hike with lots of views and no crowds, this is a good alternative to the other trails in the area. Just make sure you keep a sharp eye out for the trailhead on 9W- it comes up quick and we passed it twice.

This hike took about 2 hours with a couple of stops to enjoy the views. Started around 10:30am on a Sunday and had the entire trail to ourselves.

Started following the WHITE markers, switched to BLUE down to the road where we looped back up BLUE towards the summit (this was a pretty good incline) then back to WHITE to finish it up.

Good trail. Didn’t expect it was that quiet. Checked in around 10:00 am on Saturday and saw nobody until descended in the last half of the hike. Beautiful views from the top. Our dog was having a blast! Took about 4 hours with many stops to rest and take pictures. Clear trail marks. It goes from white to blue to white again. Trail could be rated as moderate. Not as hard as Breakneck Ridge trail at Hudson Highland State Park

2nd time doing this hike (heavy fog the first time ~ back in October '17). Arrived at trailhead at 9am and had the entire trail to ourselves except for passing another couple about a mile in who we never saw again. Took the white to the blue back to white (counter clockwise on the map). First mile is rather boring but once you pass the intersection with the road and start heading up the blue, it's really pretty with lots of different terrain, rock scrambles and views. I like this trail so much better than Storm King Mountain. I also clocked it ~ again ~ at 4.3 miles, not 3.6 miles.

A favorite.

Beautiful, but be sure to wear micro spikes and bring poles as lots of snow in parts.

Excellent hike, views worth the climb.

Excellent hike for all ages. My 60 year old mother in law and 6 year daughter did it, although it was a stretch for them. Feels longer then 3.6 miles but that’s mostly because the vertical part takes about an hour. The views at the top are spectacular and rewarding. Highly recommend.

Beautiful open forest in the beginning, incredible views from multiple lookouts on the way to the top.

Easy first half but the ascent in the second half will take it out of you.

Trail markers switch from white to blue to white again throughout the loop. Stay on blue for the views.

Beautiful in any season!

Absolutely loved it! Especially with all the fall foliage. I recommend going clockwise. The beginning is very easy “a walk in the woods” then it goes up steep rock steps but only for about 15 minutes. Overall pretty easy hike and breathing views.

Great hike although the first mile on the white trail is boring. Multiple views from the blue trail are incredible though. Fall colors are just starting to peak and this will probably be gorgeous in a week or two. I'd definitely do it again. Clocked it at 4.34 miles though, not 3.6.

Great hike! Very steep at certain section! Missed the blue trail marker and reversed it! White to blue on the left instead of right! I think I preferred the trail that way instead of the way it's recommended! It's difinitely not 3.6 miles I clocked it at 5.4 miles starting from first parking lot on 9W going north! Not really any rock scrambling but many rock steps. Be careful of loose rocks especially going down and use bug spray. Take plently of water! I rate this a 7 out of 10. Great views!

Challenging hike... super views... be prepared to work...

it was a decent hike. the train was not too bad. my dog really liked it.

A lot of fun. Not too strenuous but not a nature walk either. Similar to Breakneck Ridge.

Steep downhill walking at first but gets easier after. Walked past the marker for the trail, but back tracked not too far after since I read the other reviews here and had a feeling I missed it. Lots and lots of bugs flying around, I would recommend wearing some sort of bug spray. I brought my small-ish dog with me but had to carry her once we looped back and hit the steep part again. Had a great time and enjoyed the views, I'll definitely go back soon.

Better than the Storm King loop. Harder scramble, more scenic, and less people.

Great trail, pretty walk through woods in the beginning and challenging rock scramble climb two thirds of the way through. Lots of cool terrain, colorful wild mushrooms and lots of blueberries. You follow the white to blue trail then back to white. Careful at the end that you go back to white and don't restart the loop like we did.

We must have taken the long way around because we clocked in at 5 miles or so. We found out almost at the end by some other hikers that there was a Trail we should have taken but it was unmarked and we hiked right past it. At one point it felt like it was never going to end! Being a 'newbie' I found it difficult and harder than Stairway to Heaven.

Started and finished this hike on 218. Hiked clockwise with main climb early on. Great views!

Excellent hike. We clocked it at 5.9 miles if you are starting from the small parking lot on Rt 9 and it took us 3 hours. The hike goes down significantly (couple of miles ) until you reach Storm King Hwy. The ascent starts after you reach Storm King Hwy. There may be a way to start the hike at Storm King Hwy by taking Mountain Rd off Rt 9 to Storm King. There is a small parking lot right at the start of the ascent. The ascent is challenging comparable to Major Welsch at Bear Mt. Once on top there is a lovely walk along the ridge before you begin the decent. Was not heavily trafficked.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Awesome variety trail, well marked, only one steep section the rest pretty easy. Some nice small creek crossings and amazing views in staggered levels!!

No loo at the car park and sure you do a pee break on the way!

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Scenic, easy to follow, great view on top! Just about 2 and a half hour route :)

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Great hike with great views. We went left and came up the steep route. Awesome consistent pace and were done in 2 hours.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

This is a great quick hike. It has great views and lots of different terrain. The trail is narrow in spots no more than one person passing at a time. The trails are well blazed and maintained. It is definitely one I'll be doing more often.