Learn more

North Dome and Sherrill Bushwhack is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near West Kill, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 7.3 mi Elevation gain 2,545 ft Route type Loop

Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

This trail takes you through the Westkill Wilderness. You climb two of the 35 catskill peaks that are 3500ft and higher, North Dome and Sherill. The Bushwhack starts out on the devils path. Then take a bearing straight to North Dome. The climb up is very steep and slippery. You have to use caution due to some steep ledges. Once on top of the Spruce Covered summit, take another bearing to Sherill. The hike to Sherill is much easier. Once on top of Sherill take a final bearing down to the Westkill. When crossing Westkill use caution.

NY DEC Region 4: 607-652-7365

Take NY throughway (I87) North. get of off Kingston exit or rt. 28. Take rt. 28 West to Shandaken. Make right onto rt. 42. Take rt. 42 through Deep Notch. Make right onto Spruceton Rd Take Spruceton Rd about 3.8 miles and trail head for Devils Path is on right.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (79)
Photos (109)
Recordings (72)
Completed (111)
Shawn Innes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 19 2020
HikingBugsOff trailOver grown
View Shawn's Recording
Steve (hikertrashsteve)
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon May 04 2020
BugsMuddyScramble
View Steve's Recording
Salty .
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Apr 17 2020
Hiking

I couldn’t find any trails for this one. In my experience it’s a true bushwhack. You leave the Devil’s Path and then head up a steep face of North Dome. Take your time and just pick out little sections to get to as you climb the face; you’ll make it. Once on top it’s not too difficult to find the canister. There’s some think bush between ND and Sherrill, but not too bad. The only thing that this loop doesn’t have going for it, is the road walk at the end. I wanted to cut it out, but I didn’t want to find myself on someone’s private property.

View Salty's Recording
James Radtke
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Apr 14 2020
HikingOff trailScramble
View James's Recording
Katy Leidel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Feb 23 2020
Hiking

There are multiple routes. From spruceton road up to north dome and sherrill, the trail is broken, only need spikes. At the top people assured me the trail was all broken and I assumed the loop. I thought I was making good time. I mistakenly followed a herd path to route 42. I decided to turn around to get back to the loop trail. This added a significant amount of time- this took me 10 hours and 45 mins, and also mileage- logged at 14.2 miles. Despite this being completely exhausting and really scary, I rated the hike 5 because before I made the error it was a really beautiful day. Getting lost also allowed me to see the sunset. I did break some of the return loop with spikes and snow shoes (a lot of what I broke was not exactly on the loop). If it’s possible to leave a car at each entrance that’s the best way to do it. Luckily when I made it back to spruceton road I was able to hitch hike over to my car.

Steve (hikertrashsteve)
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarThu Feb 20 2020
HikingBlowdownIcyOff trailSnow

Snowshoes were an absolute must for this hike. Start on Devil’s Path and end at Shaft Rd.

View Steve's Recording
DC Lee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Feb 09 2020
HikingIcyRockySnow
View DC's Recording
John C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jan 24 2020
HikingBlowdownIcyMuddyOff trailRockyScrambleSnow
View John's Recording
gopal Subramaniam
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Dec 22 2019
HikingRockyScrambleSnow

On a beautiful sunny day in the snow covered mountain, this hike turned out to be great. We had to allow adequate time to climb some of the cliffy areas. The good thing is that we could find some trees to tie a rope and use it for support at a couple of places. Since we are ascending south direction, sun is directly in front of us. There were deer and small animal footprints, but were surprised to see bear footprints too. There is no view from the top of the mountain as it is in the midst of trees. However, winter beauty on snow, tree shadows because of sun, and so on describes the amazing beauty of nature. May be this hike is better in winter than in summer

View gopal's Recording
William William Ball
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Dec 15 2019
HikingIcyMuddySnow