Noonmark Mountain Trail

Noonmark Mountain Trail is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Keene Valley, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great mountain for a day hike with great views! Beware- there are a lot of false summits when you get near the top- that craggy looking thing in the distance? year- that's where you're going!

Was at the top on March 25th under the sun and with lots of snow. Wonderfull trail with 360 degrees view at the top. Not too crowded but trail was walked on so did not have to use snowshoes. 10 spikes crampons can be usefull.

Beautiful views! One of my favorites!! ❤️⛰

Just did the summit of Noonmark out and back. Awesome view for a hike less than 4 hours. We went on an overcast fall day and it was absolutely stunning view of Keene Valley and the High Peaks. Hike definitely had my heart beating - it was a very steep climb to the top.

Unbelievable day and a beautiful hike. Remarkable vista at the top. Relatively easy hike that gets a little steep at the end. 3.2 miles in going through Round Pond. Great family hike.

Loved this hike. A number of ledges with good views on the way up. Pretty easy for the most part. The last leg up requires a lot of use of all four limbs and could be intimidating for some people. We were moments away from the Summit and a massive cloud rolled in. It robbed us of 100% of views on a mountain that is highly touted for it's views. Spent an hour in the cloud and high winds hoping it would clear out. It didn't, so we took the loop trail back down to play it safe. Doing the loop adds 1.5 miles to the trip as compared to an out and back, but it's a quick and easy grade going down. The trail in the col between Noonmark and Round is mostly runoff, so be aware of that.

360 views on summit ~ You can see all the high peaks!

It was hard but very pretty views at the top!!!

I underestimated the difficulty of this hike! We never made it quite to the summit but the views were spectacular.

I do suggest to do the loop starting with the right (as shown on this tracking), it gets a bit difficult at times to climp up but probably easier than going down ! Nice views

You could hike in both directions. If you bear right (and start immediately climbing) at the fork, then you will have a tougher climb, yet plenty of spectacular viewpoints (the higher you go - the better the views!), and easier descent on the other side (with very few views). This is relatively short yet challenging hike with a few very steep sections on rock face, a couple of short ladders and significant elevation gain within 1-2 miles of climbing. I hiked "Van Hoevenberg" trail to Mt.Marcy last year and don't remember sections as steep, so in terms of ascent this hike is probably even tougher. The views are indeed 360 degrees from the summit, and you could see quite a few peaks all around on a clear day.
Our group of 8 completed the loop in just less than 6 hours (and we were going slowly) and counted equivalent of 8.4 miles on pedometers.

Awesome hike with the family!! Depending on your skills it can be considered hard as long as you have trekking poles all will be good

First time hiking in awhile and I found it hard due the last 1.5 miles to the summit was all climbing, but it was definitely worth it. Beautiful views of Giant Mountain, Mt. Marcy, and Big Slide. Definitely would recommend this

Lots of rocks so a little challenging for this newbie, but lots of fun!

very rocky

the views are amazing!

Great hike with good views. It gets very steep at some points. During the descent it was very rocky and slippery at certain areas. For a moderate experienced hiker it will take 5-6 hrs to complete the entire trail along with snack breaks.

Do this hike and then go have lunch at the Noonmark Diner (highly recommend the sticky buns and pie!) in terms of the hike, as others have noted it was fairly steep up to the summit, but the views made it all worthwhile (posted some pictures). We did the loop and it was fairly steep, rocky and slippery on the descent. We are reasonably fit and it took us about 2.5 hours of actual hiking time and about 4 hours total including snack and water breaks.

I consider this an easy-moderate hike, for an experienced hiker. There's plenty of places to stop along the way and take in the view. I think this mountain gets overlooked because it's not a 46er. The view from Noonmark exceeded my expectations. Some of the high peaks I have hiked, don't come close to the view from Noonmark.

Tough from 73 to the Trail junction. Very tough from the trail junction to the Summit, but well worth the view. I hiked from 73 to the Boquet leanto and slept overnight. Good tenting area. I met a nice girl named Rachel who appeared to just be hanging out at the lean to for a few days. The hike from the leanto back to the trail junction is easy. I was on the Summit by noon and back in the car on 73 by 3. Highly recommend for most people.

Great hike with spectacular views of the great range. Trailhead starts at the 2nd left from the parking lot. Some steep parts that become challenging after it rains (bring trwkking poles then).

Went many times because of the amazing views, especially in the color season! Tried both options: North path to the top ( best view points) and going down the same way; the other option is to make a loop toward Round Mountain (not much view points on the way back).

Love this trail. More tough at the beginning because of the steepness but the final results bring so much happiness. Gorgeous

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Very nice trail! Was very muddy but so much fun. Views are beautiful! Rates as intermediate, but if you have ankle problems going down will be much harder. Will go back for sure!

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Summitted in near perfect early spring weather. Noonmark isnt a high peak but in my opinion the views are in comparison quite impressive. The bald summit affords awesome 360 degree views of the great range, giant/rocky peak ridge, and the dix range. Most of the snow and ice was melted however above 3000ft, i did put on my micro spikes a couple times. Super accessible, relatively gut-wretch free, with a solid reward at summit. Great hike!!

Monday, April 17, 2017

Hiked Noonmark about a week ago. Brought spikes but that really wasn't enough. Every step was a mystery if my entire leg was going to go into the deep snow and under that was a lot of water running. If I had snowshoes that may have made things a little easier. Probably very wet up there now since it's been such nice weather. Enjoy! :)

Friday, January 20, 2017

This hike was an intense one due to the ice. You really had to take your time due to the ice while ascending and descending. There were people that turned around due to the ice. For this hike I used snowshoes at the base, then had to switch over to crampons and axe to help make the ascent and descent. You had to make sure that your footing was good before moving. The views from the summit were very nice of The Great Range, Whiteface, Dix, and Giant Mountain. I will definitely do this again when the weather is warmer.

Friday, October 21, 2016

I did this a few days before hiking the lower great range and in my opinion noonmark had better veiws than any of the peaks on that trail. Me and my brother actually took the noonmark trail by accident mistaking it for the begging of the Dix mountain loop. Initially we were pretty disappointed and spent most of our time on the peak wishing we were on a taller mountain . Looking back however this was a great veiw. Pretty Moderate hike with some steep sections, we got up and down pretty quickly.

Thursday, October 06, 2016

The views from the top of Noonmark are to die for with some strenuous sections of steep broad rocks. We walked up Noonmark many years ago and, on a recent return visit to Keene, set out to hike up again having decided to try the loop that takes you down the long way - towards Round Pond and then cutting off of that trail back toward the parking lot. Big mistake for us. The 3 1/2 hour hike (up and back) turned into 7 hours. The last stretch of the loop is fairly level but very rocky. Beware!