Learn more

Noonmark Mountain Trail is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Keene Valley, New York that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round.

Length 5.5 mi Elevation gain 2,306 ft Route type Loop

Description
Waypoints (4)
Contact
Tips

A wonderful loop hike up a steep mountain for great views towards the Great Range of the High Peaks. This is a short but steep climb up a smaller peak in the Adirondack High Peaks region that is known for its spectacular views of the Great Range. This hike can be done in any season although in winter crampons are needed for the rocky summit. If it is nice out bring a camera! This loop is a combination of the Stimson Trail, Felix Adler, and the Old Dix Trail.

St. Huberts Trailhead: The parking area is just off of Rte 73 just 7.5 miles west from exit 30 off of I-87. You'll then need to walk up the golf course road to the Noonmark Trailhead sign. There are no fees to park here.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (260)
Photos (590)
Recordings (178)
Completed (523)
Marla C.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
View Marla's Recording
Matthew Webster
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2020
Hiking

For an experienced hiker this is a moderately hard trail. Amazing views at the top and then a very straightforward loop back to the car park.

View Matthew's Recording
louisa glaz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 22, 2020
HikingRocky

breath taking view but also breath taking hike. took us about 5 hours round trip and it was pretty rocky the whole way up and down. there was no parking on a tuesday afternoon so be aware ! people got tickets for being on the side of the road.

John Gallagher
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
HikingBlowdownMuddy
View John's Recording
Spencer S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 25, 2020
Hiking

A pretty moderate trail. Much easier than some of the other mountain around there.

Mack Meller
Hiking

A deceptively challenging trail for such a short hike but every bit worth it. As typical for a lot of ADK hikes, the first bit is quite easy then it gets steep in a hurry with lots of scrambling on all fours up boulders and large rock slabs. Views at the top of the Great Range to the west and Lake Champlain and Green Mountains to the east are amazing. Went on a Thursday afternoon and saw only a couple other people. I went out and back on the steeper trail (keep right at the junction going up) as a previous reviewer had recommended, and I second that suggestion. Yes it's steep and requires a bit of butt-sliding to go down, but it's nothing that can't be done if you go slowly and you get to appreciate the views much better on the way down.

Andrew I.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 23, 2020
HikingBugsRockyScramble
View Andrew's Recording
Mary Beth Hynick
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 17, 2020
HikingBugs

This mountain is a fantastic hike. It took about 2 hours to get to the summit, and about 1.5 to get down. Several false summits, but you’ll see the top and know to keep going. Views are amazing. Went on a Tuesday at about 2:30 so parking was not an issue. Only saw 1 other couple, not sure why this trail was not packed, it’s one of the best views of all! Highly recommended!

Kelly Packard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 16, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

I hiked this Tuesday 6/16/20. I arrived around 6:30am and the AMR lot was about half full. I was the first person to sign in for the day as everyone else seemed to be doing some portion of the Great Range. I am sad to say this was my first "bad" hike in that my body just wasn't having it, which is too bad because it was truly beautiful. At least when I stopped every 2 seconds starting about halfway up I got to turn around and enjoy the breathtaking views. There were a few places that at 5' tall and hiking alone, I was a bit nervous about where to put my feet while I looked for something to grab to pull myself up. Thankfully it hasn't rained recently so the rocks were mostly dry and the sun was blazing. I sat at the summit (in my bug net) forever just in awe of the views. I was completely alone up there and it was magical, except for the bugs who were trying to eat me alive. I agree with another reviewer that second half of the loop is quite boring and you're in a dry creek bed for most of it. I chose this way because I intended do Round Mtn as well, and I was actually too scared to attempt going down the way I came up. I ended up saving Round for another day, feeling really awful by the time I got to the trail for it, and slogged it out down the creek bed, down the gravel road, and back down the AMR road to my car. The lot was full at noon and they weren't letting anyone else in until someone left. This was a tough hike made exponentially harder by my body's refusal to take more than 3 steps at a time for some odd reason, but man did I get rewarded with the views!

Dallas DeVries
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 2, 2020
Hiking

About half way up you are treated to many false summits which are great places to rest and take in the view as the climbing gets more difficult. The top has an outstanding 360 degree view. It was pretty hazy and cloudy the day we went but the views were still amazing. I can tell it would be epic if we had some sun poking through. Ill be back in the fall. Personally I wouldnt bother doing this as a loop. The way down had nothing of interest to really see unless you want to add in Round Mountain and bag two peaks. Going back the way you came is shorter and you would get to enjoy the false summits and views again on the way down. There are zero views on the way down if you do a loop.

Peggy Keith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 31, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Really loved this trail. All the reviews remarking about the trail steepness as you neared the summit were definitely on target. The views the last mile before the summit as well as the actual summit were simply breathtaking. All snow and ice are gone. The trek down started very steep and about half of the trail was in a stream bed. I understand why many will do this again but for a couple in their 60’s this was probably it for us. Enjoy!

Ciara Dwyer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 18, 2020
HikingBugsIcyMuddyRockyScrambleSnow

What a trek! Don’t let the short length fool you, this mountain is incredibly steep. Felt like hiking a miniature high peak. The views at the top are awesome, full 360 bald summit. I would seriously recommend bringing shoe spikes if you go anytime before June. So much thick ice and snow still at the top on May 17th that we wouldn’t have made it up without them. Tough climb but worth it!!

Stephen R. Zipp
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 17, 2020
HikingIcyMuddyRockyScrambleSnow

Trail wasn’t bad up untill the last quarter mile, super icy and snowy for the last few scrambles , made it without spikes but they would have definitely helped out a ton, probably wouldn’t recommend without atleast yak traks. Otherwise was a very beautiful and enjoyable hike with amazing panoramic views at the peak. Definitely super underrated for the area

Chris Dunn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 16, 2020
HikingIcyMuddyRocky