Muttontown Preserve

Muttontown Preserve is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near East Norwich, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 144 feet Route Type: Loop

Nice woodsy, tranquil trail for a fall hike. Enter from the parking lot at the equestrian center for a short walk to what’s left of King Zog estate ruins. Easy and enjoyable.

Nice trail for fall hiking though a little difficult to find the trail/landmarks at times.

Pick up trail maps at nature center.

Very overgrown in places and barely marked. I’m embarrassed to say I got kinda lost when I knew I was no more than a mile from the main road but I did and ended up in spots that were so overgrown it was impossible not to get completely scratched up, and tread through much poison ivy. I didn’t enjoy those narrow, overgrown parts at all because I had to look down the whole time to avoid walking through the thick poison ivy, which ended up being futile. Very nice time turned into a panic attack of sorts. Needs maintenance and signage.

These trails are so hard to follow, they are not clearly marked and there are so many splits. We went a few days ago and back tracked three times. That’s with using this app and having the official map. Also lots of tall grass, had to flick a tick off.

Well I’ll start out by saying that I had to get rescued out by helicopter yesterday. The trail is unmarked and there are dozens of trails that veer off every which way. I was alone and somehow wound up out of the preserve in very thick brush. Using my compass and this app I was able to figure out the direction of my car but to my dismay realized that I somehow ended up on the wrong side of a 10 foot chain link fence which I wound up having to scale to get to the police officers who finally found me through the location ping on my phone. After a brief copter ride and a ride back to my car, I finally felt the exhaustion of multiple adrenaline rushes over the past three hours. Saw the cool ruins and had a great story to tell at my Fourth of July parties, yet still give the preserve one star due to the lack of attention to trail markers, lack of attention or care if the trails and the fact that I’m all scratched up, bit up, burnt up and dehydrated.....

A nice trail but make sure you have a map or use all trails being the trails are VERY confusing. The ruins are cool but most of the place is demolished and vandalized. You can read about the history of King Zog online before you head here to have a story behind the place.

Sport Orienteering at the Muttontown Preserve with Long Island Club. Great weather, great course.

Trail was awesome. We got too see the ruins and even go to the other side of the park and see beautiful birds and huge tadpoles in the ponds. A little muddy but totally a blast. even though the trails are barley marked in most spots it’s a great place to hike

Not too many times you find ‘ruins’ on Long Island when hiking. As an avid hiker, found it a little bit of a pain to navigate. Had to use Sun location and GPS. Simple blazes differentiating paths would fix this. Easy solution. Good trail.....simple. Not much elevation gained or lost. Will do again if in that area at some point.

love this trail scenic and easy

Sat Oct 20 2018

the place is okay for a quick walk but I got home with a tick crawling on me.

Mon Jul 02 2018

trails were unmarked and you easily get lost

Mon Jun 11 2018

Pretty park but majorly tick infested, found over 20 ticks, including 2 with red backs.

Mon Jun 11 2018

Tick infested, poorly marked

Sat Feb 24 2018

Just visited again this past weekend. While the below holds true, please be advised that the preserve is TICK INFESTED. Also be advised that Long Island has the highest rate of Lyme infection, so whereever you go, please be careful. Getting to the Preserve was pretty easy, I followed my navigating app on my phone. The paths--and there are many--are pretty easy to identify. And there are markers, only the numbered/lettered ones are found on the map distributed at the Nature Center, making the map less helpful than I would have liked (which is why I gave it 4 stars and not 5). Bring a good sense of direction...and a compass! The walk/paths themselves are an interesting mix--there are a variety of environments to explore--wetland, forest, field, kame; terrain varies as well--dirt (today mud), grass, gravel, sand. Mud made the trail a little slippery at times, but this was otherwise a pretty easy hike. Nothing too steep. I met a few (very few) people on the trails; saw horseshoe prints in the mud, but no equestrians. I couldn't stay, as there was a threat of inclement weather, but I will be back! Expect the place will be teeming with wildlife activity in the spring.