Muttontown Preserve

Muttontown Preserve is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near East Norwich, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Getting to the Preserve was pretty easy, I followed my navigating app on my phone.

The paths--and there are many--are pretty easy to identify. And there are markers, only the numbered/lettered ones are found on the map distributed at the Nature Center, making the map less helpful than I would have liked (which is why I gave it 4 stars and not 5). Bring a good sense of direction...and a compass!

The walk/paths themselves are an interesting mix--there are a variety of environments to explore--wetland, forest, field, kame; terrain varies as well--dirt (today mud), grass, gravel, sand. Mud made the trail a little slippery at times, but this was otherwise a pretty easy hike. Nothing too steep. I met a few (very few) people on the trails; saw horseshoe prints in the mud, but no equestrians.

I couldn't stay, as there was a threat of inclement weather, but I will be back! Expect the place will be teeming with wildlife activity in the spring.

Family and I had the preserve for ourselves as we hiked in the cold weather. We had a blast exploring the ruins. Place is dog friendly when not crowded ;0)

Trails are not blazed, but there are numbered markers to help you find your way. Many forks, so bring your sense of direction. Easy (difficulty) trails.

This is a great place with easy trails. Ruins from the old King Zog's Estate.

I absolutely love this trail and seeing the old the foundation of the mansion is awesome. It pops up out of no where sometimes, even when you don't realize where you are going. Seriously love these adventures!

Just discovered, kid friendly !

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Beautiful trail with great history. Map was a little difficult to follow as the trails weren't obviously marked, but we found our way!

Sunday, February 05, 2017

if you follow the this trail it won't take you to the ruins you see in the pictures. once a week there is a man who works inside the building in front of where the trail starts. he can map out the way to get the ruins. overall it was a very cool place to site see and had many different off trails throughout.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Gorgeous walk in the park

Friday, October 21, 2016

Monday, October 10, 2016

Found the place no problem thanks to the comments. We took route 106 to muttontown lane which is the entrance that is right by the nature center, where you can get a map from. The map wasn't great and some signs and markers were knocked down along the trail. We ended up wandering around using a compass and eventually got to the ruins which was pretty cool.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

First, as regards the problems people have had finding the hikers' (northern) entrance: the problem seems to be that Muttontown Lane is U-shaped (not shown on AllTrails map) and therefore intersects Northern Blvd twice. If coming from the west on 25A, best to ignore the western end with the Chelsea Mansion sign. Follow Google Maps' directions via the eastern end of the U and the entrance will be right in your face.

That said, it's a beautiful area with interesting features. How can you not like the ruins of King Zog of Albania's mansion? I prefer to avoid the bugs by going in Spring and Autumn. It's particularly beautiful at foliage time in late October/early November. And, as with all equestrian/hiking venues, be careful not to step in the "hoya".

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Love this place, and it's history. Great walk, even better local legends!

Monday, June 13, 2016

Poor trail conditions.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Worst trail ever... Ticks everywhere

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Place is flooded is filled with tics, map is hard to read and is not very helpful.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Lovely, but the map and trail markers leave a lot to be desired. On the plus side, it gave me the opportunity to dust off my old school compass.

Thursday, April 07, 2016

Soo yes the trail map is a little confusing, but you can get the general idea of the place using the map, if your smart enough to use the landmarks on the map it shouldn't be that big of an issue, we heading down the left trail, to the equestrian park, to the garden, left out of the garden to the Boy Scout picnic area, directly across the picnic area is a trail take that to the ruins. Ruins are cool ! love LI history, it's a trail on Long Island so nothing crazy, but it's a fun day of wandering in the woods!

Friday, April 01, 2016

Pretty cool just wandered around until we found the ruins

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Difficult to find the entrance- and the ruins- but well worth it. Only hike on Long Island that had been worth it to me so far.

Sunday, October 11, 2015

I was on this trial twice recently. There are two entrances, so be careful. The first time I went It took quite a while for me to find my way in. Some of the posted directions are wrong.

The main entrance and trailhead are on Muttontown Lane (Not Muttontown Road). If you are coming South on Rte 106 or turning off Northern Blvd (25 A) to go south stay in the right lane and go slow. You will pass a Methodist church on your right. At the next street, Walnut Avenue, turn right and go one block and turn left onto Muttontown Lane and take it to the end into the preserve.

If you are going north on Rte 106 get in the left lane as you approach Northern Blvd. (25 A). You will be able to turn onto the southbound lane without having to cross over Northern Bld. Turn right onto Walnut Avenue and follow the directions above.

At the visitor center pick up a map. Behind the building the trails start. The one to the right loops around the grounds of the Chelsea Mansion. The trail to the left leads you into the woods and sanctuary.
At first the trail map seems useful but that doesn’t last for long. If you find a post with a specific letter/number designation you can see where you are on the map. I headed south and just followed the path and took whatever I thought was interesting. Though not well marked if you have a compass and the Google maps app it’s hard to really get lost. Also there are markings up on the trees, for hiking and skiing, to help guide you so you should be able to stay on the main trial.

I kept heading south hoping to eventually find the ruins. I came to the Garden Wall which is pretty large and the length East and turns to the North. It also helps you find your spot on the map. I veered off and continued East and ended up at the second, lesser known preserve entrance off of Rte 106. It’s known as the Equestrian entrance but anyone can park in the lot and come in.

By this time I knew we were near the ruins but it was time to head back. The trail seemed easy enough to follow going back and we had no problem getting to our car.

The preserve is really, quiet, peaceful and tranquil. The trail itself is not difficult. For the most part it is flat and what few inclines or elevations are short and not steep. There are a number of trails throughout the woods and another poster’s remark that the trails are like a spiderweb is on the mark. There are horse trails through part of the preserve as well.

I will be back to find the ruins.

Saturday, August 01, 2015

There are two entrances, so be careful. If you are a first timer be sure to use the entrance off of Northern Blvd, go to the nature center and GET A MAP. For such a small place there are many trails and it's easy to lose your way. Also; the map is your best chance of finding the ruins of the old mansion. This is truly a LI gem.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Do they call it the mystery trail because the paths are mysteriously marked? Didn't really matter, we easily wound our way around the trails. Really beautiful, well maintained, picturesque trails. Will definitely revisit.

Friday, April 03, 2015

Really peaceful and maintained trail. Type in Muttontown LN, East Norwich, NY into the GPS to get to the trailhead. There is a visitor center right in front of the trailhead that has paper maps of preserve. If it's closed, there should be several on a wall in the back. Even though the map wasn't that easy to follow, it's fairly hard to get lost. Keep heading south to see the ruins. Trails are marked, but can be a little confusing to know which way to go. Bringing a compass is recommended. 4 stars because of slightly confusing map and lack of many trail markers. Overall a great day hike.

Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Be careful of the raccoons

Friday, November 15, 2013

Great trails, just so poorly marked. I think it would be hard to get lost, though. It is a huge spider web of trails. I took the paper map at the preserve center ( Bill Paterson Nature Center, off of Muttontown Ln. ), referenced the map and used the sun to get me where I was going, haha. Really beautiful area, though! Very quiet and serene, with birds everywhere. Keep going southward to find the ruins, which are pretty cool. 4 stars for nature. 1 star for the map

Monday, June 17, 2013

The hike was poorly marked with outdated maps provided at the preserve center and confusing/misleading trail markers, BUT, nonetheless, worth a try because of the cool abandoned mansion remains that rewards your efforts. Be careful for ticks and mosquitos. Regarding the directions go to the Muttontown Lane entrance,off Northern Boulevard: just go past two stop signs and it's at the end of the block. Bear left in the parking lot.

Monday, March 18, 2013

I started in the wrong location. It could've been a short hike! I began my trip at Chelsea mansion off of route 25a. After hopping fences an crossing a stream I finally got my bearings . I used the horse paths and bushwhacked my way to the walled gardens. It was pretty confusing. It is a large property . Once you find the walled gardens your home free. Def cool to check out. I brought a date and had a picnic. The equestrian center is by far the easiest way in and out.

Monday, October 22, 2012

If you are near Long Island you neeeed to hike this!! I m not sure why NO ONE knows about this and most people that hike it dont even know it but there are some amazing things in this preserve!! There was a mansion originally built for Charles Hudson, but then bought by the King of Albania. Long story short - the ruins are hidden back there and they are not only huge they are interesting!

Or check out my website with pics of the hike -

Just dont bring a dog - the horse people on the trails are A**holes! But this is still worth it!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Nice Trail for a good stroll, it can be difficult;t to find, easy for me cause I have been Horseback riding there for years. If UR heading North on 106 make a left after the first break in the center island of the road after U pass the light for Muttontown RD, the entrance can be difficult to see sometimes when UR to busy watching the road but the first break in the center island is a good clue ( I have passed it many times even knowing it is there ) just hang a left at the next break.

Bing Map