Muttontown Preserve

Muttontown Preserve is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near East Norwich, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

1 hour ago

Getting to the Preserve was pretty easy, I followed my navigating app on my phone.

The paths--and there are many--are pretty easy to identify. And there are markers, only the numbered/lettered ones are found on the map distributed at the Nature Center, making the map less helpful than I would have liked (which is why I gave it 4 stars and not 5). Bring a good sense of direction...and a compass!

The walk/paths themselves are an interesting mix--there are a variety of environments to explore--wetland, forest, field, kame; terrain varies as well--dirt (today mud), grass, gravel, sand. Mud made the trail a little slippery at times, but this was otherwise a pretty easy hike. Nothing too steep. I met a few (very few) people on the trails; saw horseshoe prints in the mud, but no equestrians.

I couldn't stay, as there was a threat of inclement weather, but I will be back! Expect the place will be teeming with wildlife activity in the spring.

Family and I had the preserve for ourselves as we hiked in the cold weather. We had a blast exploring the ruins. Place is dog friendly when not crowded ;0)

Trails are not blazed, but there are numbered markers to help you find your way. Many forks, so bring your sense of direction. Easy (difficulty) trails.

This is a great place with easy trails. Ruins from the old King Zog's Estate.

I absolutely love this trail and seeing the old the foundation of the mansion is awesome. It pops up out of no where sometimes, even when you don't realize where you are going. Seriously love these adventures!

Just discovered, kid friendly !

Beautiful trail with great history. Map was a little difficult to follow as the trails weren't obviously marked, but we found our way!

Sunday, February 05, 2017

if you follow the this trail it won't take you to the ruins you see in the pictures. once a week there is a man who works inside the building in front of where the trail starts. he can map out the way to get the ruins. overall it was a very cool place to site see and had many different off trails throughout.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Gorgeous walk in the park

Friday, October 21, 2016

Boring

Monday, October 10, 2016

Found the place no problem thanks to the comments. We took route 106 to muttontown lane which is the entrance that is right by the nature center, where you can get a map from. The map wasn't great and some signs and markers were knocked down along the trail. We ended up wandering around using a compass and eventually got to the ruins which was pretty cool.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

First, as regards the problems people have had finding the hikers' (northern) entrance: the problem seems to be that Muttontown Lane is U-shaped (not shown on AllTrails map) and therefore intersects Northern Blvd twice. If coming from the west on 25A, best to ignore the western end with the Chelsea Mansion sign. Follow Google Maps' directions via the eastern end of the U and the entrance will be right in your face.

That said, it's a beautiful area with interesting features. How can you not like the ruins of King Zog of Albania's mansion? I prefer to avoid the bugs by going in Spring and Autumn. It's particularly beautiful at foliage time in late October/early November. And, as with all equestrian/hiking venues, be careful not to step in the "hoya".

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Love this place, and it's history. Great walk, even better local legends!

Monday, June 13, 2016

Poor trail conditions.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Worst trail ever... Ticks everywhere

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Place is flooded is filled with tics, map is hard to read and is not very helpful.

Monday, May 30, 2016

Lovely, but the map and trail markers leave a lot to be desired. On the plus side, it gave me the opportunity to dust off my old school compass.

Thursday, April 07, 2016

Soo yes the trail map is a little confusing, but you can get the general idea of the place using the map, if your smart enough to use the landmarks on the map it shouldn't be that big of an issue, we heading down the left trail, to the equestrian park, to the garden, left out of the garden to the Boy Scout picnic area, directly across the picnic area is a trail take that to the ruins. Ruins are cool ! love LI history, it's a trail on Long Island so nothing crazy, but it's a fun day of wandering in the woods!

Friday, April 01, 2016

Pretty cool just wandered around until we found the ruins

Saturday, November 28, 2015

Difficult to find the entrance- and the ruins- but well worth it. Only hike on Long Island that had been worth it to me so far.