Muttontown Preserve

easy 163 reviews

Muttontown Preserve is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near East Norwich, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 144 feet Route Type: Loop

I went yesterday. I parked at the Bill Paterson Nature Center, hiked out to the ruins, and came back the same way instead of looping around. Total was about 3.5 miles. The center building was closed and the bathrooms were locked when I got there around 11:30 am (after a 2 hour drive it sucked that the bathrooms were closed They were open when I got back around 1:30). The maps they provide aren’t too great and the trails aren’t marked well either so the map is pretty much useless. The farther back you go the less markings too. There are tons of forks in the trails, and smaller trails leading off that aren’t marked at all. Huge trees are across the trail in some areas, and have been there so long that a smaller path has formed where people have bushwhacked to get around it. I’m glad I had the app! The ruins are pretty cool though, and I only ran into a few people. It’s a nice easy hike, as long as you have a useful trail guide.

Nice woodsy, tranquil trail for a fall hike. Enter from the parking lot at the equestrian center for a short walk to what’s left of King Zog estate ruins. Easy and enjoyable.

Nice trail for fall hiking though a little difficult to find the trail/landmarks at times.

Pick up trail maps at nature center.

Very overgrown in places and barely marked. I’m embarrassed to say I got kinda lost when I knew I was no more than a mile from the main road but I did and ended up in spots that were so overgrown it was impossible not to get completely scratched up, and tread through much poison ivy. I didn’t enjoy those narrow, overgrown parts at all because I had to look down the whole time to avoid walking through the thick poison ivy, which ended up being futile. Very nice time turned into a panic attack of sorts. Needs maintenance and signage.

These trails are so hard to follow, they are not clearly marked and there are so many splits. We went a few days ago and back tracked three times. That’s with using this app and having the official map. Also lots of tall grass, had to flick a tick off.

Well I’ll start out by saying that I had to get rescued out by helicopter yesterday. The trail is unmarked and there are dozens of trails that veer off every which way. I was alone and somehow wound up out of the preserve in very thick brush. Using my compass and this app I was able to figure out the direction of my car but to my dismay realized that I somehow ended up on the wrong side of a 10 foot chain link fence which I wound up having to scale to get to the police officers who finally found me through the location ping on my phone. After a brief copter ride and a ride back to my car, I finally felt the exhaustion of multiple adrenaline rushes over the past three hours. Saw the cool ruins and had a great story to tell at my Fourth of July parties, yet still give the preserve one star due to the lack of attention to trail markers, lack of attention or care if the trails and the fact that I’m all scratched up, bit up, burnt up and dehydrated.....

A nice trail but make sure you have a map or use all trails being the trails are VERY confusing. The ruins are cool but most of the place is demolished and vandalized. You can read about the history of King Zog online before you head here to have a story behind the place.

Sport Orienteering at the Muttontown Preserve with Long Island Club. Great weather, great course.

Trail was awesome. We got too see the ruins and even go to the other side of the park and see beautiful birds and huge tadpoles in the ponds. A little muddy but totally a blast. even though the trails are barley marked in most spots it’s a great place to hike

Not too many times you find ‘ruins’ on Long Island when hiking. As an avid hiker, found it a little bit of a pain to navigate. Had to use Sun location and GPS. Simple blazes differentiating paths would fix this. Easy solution. Good trail.....simple. Not much elevation gained or lost. Will do again if in that area at some point.

Sat Feb 23 2019

love this trail scenic and easy

Sat Oct 20 2018

the place is okay for a quick walk but I got home with a tick crawling on me.