Moxham Mountain Trail

Moxham Mountain Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Minerva, New York that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The 2.7 mile trail to Moxham Mountain was constructed in the summer of 2012 and features many overlooks with scenic views, while the most spectacular views are from the 2418 foot summit. This hike begins at the small parking area along 14th Road off NY 28N in Minerva about 0.2 miles after the pavement ends. The only marking at the parking area is a "Trail Parking" sign, however it is pretty obvious as you drive down the dirt road on the left. The trail starts on the right side of the small parking area (elevation 1536 feet). You're following yellow DEC trail markers. The trail immediately climbs and reaches the first of many overlooks at 0.6 miles (elevation 1904 feet). This view is just a teaser for what's ahead, but is still a good place to take a break. The trail now descends and at 1.0 miles crosses a small stream (elevation 1724 feet). It's the outlet of an old beaver pond located just a short distance upstream. Now climbing again, pass a huge boulder on your left at 1.25 miles. Soon is another view, better than the first view with Gore Mountain as the main feature. At 1.6 miles reach the ridgeline (elevation 1993 feet) and soon you start to reach one after another of the many overlooks that line this wonderful trail. At 2.3 miles reach possibly the best of the pre summit views as the cliffs of Moxham Mountain summit come into view (elevation 2172 feet). Up there is your final destination and it's only 0.4 miles away. There are still more overlooks as you continue your climb toward the summit, reaching the 2418 foot summit at 2.7 miles. While not a 360 degree view, the views are still spectacular and the open rocks offer a great picnic spot. As you approach the edge of the summit, remember you are on top of cliffs (so take special care).

NIce family hike with 4 good stop points along the way with views. It's got so many level and downhill stretches that you wonder how you will ever ascend the 1338 feet quoted. Great for dogs, even short legged ones - no scrambles or ladders or obstacles... and easy and beautiful trail. 3 stars because I try to use the entire star range in reviews.. too many trails rated 4 or 5 so that the rating becomes meaningless. It's a very nice hike with 180degree SE to NW views of hills and Gore Mountain... great color today.

Hiked this very shady trail this morning. 5.4 miles as expected, nice views at the summit. Even though the trail showed signs of heavy rain yesterday, the footing was great. We only saw 3 people and one dog during our trip. We were out and back in under 2 hours.

Great hike with gorgeous views. Only saw a couple of people on the trail. My dog and I had a wonderful time

I loved this hike!! I am timid about slippery trails and large rocks where I might fall (even with good hiking boots). This hike had very little of either of these so I felt safer than I have on other hikes - a big plus. Perhaps it helped that it hadn't rained in a while, but even if it did I expect the condition would be a lot better than other riskier trails. As the description notes you go up and down quite a bit which seems odd but I think it is because they mean for the trail to wrap so it's more realistic to get to the top. I absolutely agree that the views you can see as you ascend are wonderful. The last trek is steep but the view from the top of the mountain outstanding!!!! There are quite a few roots throughout, but I just kept my eye on the trail and they were no problem. Also watch for some small short trunks sticking up in the trail, possible from when they cleared the trail, but again not a big deal, just be aware. One thing they definitely have to fix: the sign at the bottom says 2.0 miles each way, but it is far longer than that. The 2.7 noted online is more accurate, we even clocked a little longer.

One of the best hidden-gem hikes that isn’t a High Peak. We hiked this yesterday.... the trail meanders through beautiful wooded sections, past boulders and opens to several scenic vistas. Views from summit are spectacular on a clear day. Close to 6 Miles RT.

Fairly easy hike with a couple steep sections. Our two dogs loved it and was fun for all 4 of us. There are some awesome views on the way up, and at one point you can see the summit you're climbing to. We went early in the morning and saw good views on the way up, but once at the summit it was nothing but white below us. We enjoyed it anyways! I would recommend this one, especially if bringing dogs.

Good hike of moderate difficulty. Lots of views from ledges along the way to a commanding 270-degree view from the summit massif. Trail is well marked, but don't follow cairns which appear to be there to assist rock climbers to reach anchors for top-roping. Lots of mushrooms en route to the summit the day we hiked in late August.

The views are to the south, west and north, so you won't get a view of the High Peaks region, but views towards Lake George, Crane Mtn., Gore Mtn., Snowy Mtn., Blue Mtn., and Santanoni Range are great!

All in all a really good hike. Multiple areas to stop and enjoy the view before the official summit. I think it is fair to call a moderate hike with numerous areas of steep incline in between fairly flat walking. I enjoyed this hike quite a bit and felt like I accomplished something today

One of the best trails in Adirondacks !

What a great hike! Beautiful views! The trail itself is in really nice condition. Although it is rated moderate you have to be in shape to climb this trail. There are several nice areas to rest and take in the spectacular scenery. I know my dogs were hoping for some water to romp in....not this hike!

This was a moderate hike with incredible views. There are several lookouts on the way up. The trail is well marked and gets a little steeper at the end. One of the best views in all the trials I have hiked.

Our new favorite trail. It’s interesting and challenging with lots of uphills and downhills to catch your breath. The views along the way were beautiful culminating in a great view from the top.

One of my favorite hikes ever! Well-marked and well-cleared trail that's mostly in the shade. Amazing 270° view at the peak with a bunch of pseudo peaks along the way. It's definitely uphill with a decent elevation increase, but nothing too strenuous. It's a great workout that will leave you feeling accomplished but not overly drained! 5 stars

Awesome Hike!! Gorgeous view plus some on the way up!

Only went halfway but got some good views

tough but beautiful hike

Very pleasant forest trail. There are a couple of spots where you get a bit of a view on the way up, and the view at the top is great.

Really nice hike! Well-marked trail, flat for much of it and the uphills were not too steep. Several great outlooks on the way up. The peak was significantly windier/chillier than the bottom so bring layers. We loved the views, it wasn't too crowded, and it was an easy 2.5 hours up and back.

Friday, October 13, 2017

Such a fun hike ~ views were amazing ~ Better than expected

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

This was a spectacular hike, with an amazing view for relatively little effort. I completed this one with my 12 year old daughter and her friend, and while it took some effort on their part, they were quite please when we reached the summit. The trail was dry and well maintained. Very easy to follow. Definitely one I would do again, and one I would recommend to any interested in hiking to a mountain summit, even the 4 legged members of the family!

Thursday, August 24, 2017

We did this trail late afternoon, ate dinner and waited for the sunset. it was beautiful. Hiked down with headlamps. Fun hike. Lots of switchbacks.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Excellent hike, great for those who are getting back into hiking. Easy, clear trail great for kids and dogs.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Party of 7 with three dogs hiked it July 30th. Hot day in the sun but most of the trail is shaded so the temps were great. Three or four great view points on trail, views of Garnet Mine and Gore Mountain and as you reach the final false summit and the actual top, great broad views of North Creek, the little valley it sits in and the ponds just north of town. Its an easy hike, even if you pack in some lunch supplies and drinks. Only gets steep just before the summit. Not a lot of shaded areas near the top, and there are some steep dangerous drop offs. Look at the map, good portion of the right hand side of the trail (during ascent) is pretty much sheer drop. But that's what gives the great broad views as well. Our party (12-50 yrs old) was up and back in less than 3 hours and we had lunch at the top. Trail head is easy to find and parking is ample. Its a busy trail, there will be other people Fri-Sun and almost everybody had a dog or 2 with them.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Wow such spectacular views! Multiple 'false' peaks totally worth the hike to the top. It was definitely harder than expected

Saturday, May 20, 2017

I hiked this as a sunrise hike and it paid off with excellent views. The trail wasn't steep and very easy going. I had the whole summit to myself. I will definitely do this hike again.

Friday, May 19, 2017

Easy to find. Beautiful trail with many scenic views along the way, would've stayed longer at the summit had it been less buggy (luckily the breeze kept the bugs at bay until that point). Took about 3 hours and that was with stopping to take photos along the way. Best views for an easier hike I've ever experienced!

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Snowshoed here through 1-2ft yesterday. It was my first legit snowshoe hike of the winter and I may be a little out of shape. Took me about 3.5 hrs with stopping for lunch. Great views, trail was very well marked. If you're into beer stop by Paradox Brewing after, it's about 20 minutes away.

Friday, October 14, 2016

great hike! perfect view :) definitely doable for less experienced hikers. I wore my running shoes and I was okay. the trail is gradual, a nice mix of up and down, not a lot of drastic spikes up in elevation. the last mile is a steeper hike.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Nice views!

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Loved this trail, nice gradual incline and nice views from several vistas, including the peak. Never crowded either.