Mount Tremper Trail

Mount Tremper Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Phoenicia, New York that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 2,027 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: The top of the tower is closed however the trail is still accessible.

icy

It’s a pretty hard hike. Amazing views on the trail and on the fire tower. A lot of rock scrambles. In all it’s a nice hike.

Dog friendly. A fine trail and it’s fun to explore new areas of the Catskills, but this was not my fave.

I’d say this was between moderate and hard. It was a steep climb for sure and gave a great workout for a relatively short hike. No views on top except from the fire tower (which was closed, but you could still see from the top stairs)

Not a very hard trail. Beautiful day to be hiking. A dusting of snow towards the top made it even better.

Stopped to eat as well, fantastic walk through the woods, definitely steep going up but the summit is worth it.

it was challenging but awesome views from the top! I can see why it's hard

This is a moderate hike, but watch out for roots and rocks that can trip you particularly when they are covered with leaves or snow during fall and winter. Fire tower is not visible because of trees until you are very near the tower. Even though top of the tower is closed, it is possible to climb upto the penultimate platfform and get views. Unlike Overlook mountain firetower, foot traffic is moderate in this hike with most hikers appearing in the afternoon.

Tough climb up with a 60lbs pack.

Our 2nd Catskills Fire Tower hike, very rocky, tough descent. Great views from Fire Tower.

Decent trail. Forest is mostly uninteresting. Rocky, uneven trails. Steady incline up, pretty physically demanding but possible. It's a good challenge. The only view is from the tower. Don't expect any other vista. But the view is worth it.

The view from the tower were fantastic. We were on this hike mid week and very few people were there - we had the tower to ourselves. This was a steep and rocky hike, coming down the worse of course.

2.5 stars is the real rating we give it. Hiked with my wife and oldest son on a great weather day. Not a huge fan of this trail. Very rocky and no views on its own. You have to climb the tower to see the views. You can’t get to the top because it’s closed so you’re cramped on the stairs to see anything. And you can’t stay there long and relax because the next set of hikers is waiting.

In general it's an easy trail. Loved the walk to the tower. The tower was closed, though. I was able to see the view from the stairs. It is longer than 6 miles...

great views at the top

Slow and steady is the pace. Tremper has a Temper! Lol 1/2 way to 3/4 the trail was working us over. We have done a few trails - this is NOT a moderate trail. It’s not undoable but bring water and pace yourself. Make sure weather is good.

This trail was soul crushing lol no actually it was hard but slow & steady not much views as our 2nd in the 5 of the tower challenge I found this much more challenging then Overlook. Very rocky terrain as overlook was more crushed gravel

This is a great hike up to one of the fire Towers. I did not find it as difficult as some of the others. The reviews on this one had me a little worried, but I felt it was relatively easy to do. My 5 and 11 year old had no problems with it. We were slow due to the 5 year old, but we made it to the top in about 3 hours. You could definitely do this quicker by far if you were in good shape. There are really no views at all on this Trail. The only view is actually from the fire tower itself. The entire Trail is in the shade from start to finish. We had a nice sunny day and it was pleasant in the shade.

Great trail to the fire tower. Was a little steep and VERY rocky in places but it is definitely a doable trail for anyone. If you are not a seasoned hiker, just take your time and you will get to the top and back. The views were ok at the fire tower, the hike was more exciting than the views. Without question you need plenty of water for this one. Some people swear a walking stick is beneficial for a hike like this, I disagree, but I don’t use them at all so I will always disagree lol, but they could help; especially for the not seasoned hiker.

Do this hike for the trail itself - because the top isn’t mind blowing. Trail was very rocky (think tons of medium size river rocks on 75% of trail), but foliage, rock outcroppings, and ground cover were gorgeous and if you are looking for a peaceful, steady climb, this will deliver. We did with kids (7 and 9) and the trail was long - last mile up and down were a constant cajole, but the trail itself wasn’t hard. It is very, very rocky though, so helps to have on sturdy hiking shoes and sticks or poles. If you’re in shape, climb is challenging but doable! The tower at the top is really rickety. I am scared of heights and could only make it to the second tier so no view for me. Kids and husband reported good views but not as good as Overlook in Woodstock. Strava said each way was 3.1 miles and whole hike with short time at top took us almost 5 hours. We didn’t see any snakes on the trail but there are copious warning signs.

Lots of rocks. Pretty much straight up no switchbacks. Difficult. Great views from the fore tower.

Very rocky and pretty steep but worth the effort and the view ! The fire tower was closed so I could only climb the structure

If the trail is damp the rocks are extremely slick. Slow going. Volunteer at the firetower was very nice and knowledgeable. Unfortunately someone stole the new 5 Firetower challenge sign off the tower. Some people are just dirtbags

Great hike, beautiful view at the top,longest hike I’ve done this year.