Mount Tremper Trail

Mount Tremper Trail is a 5.7 mile out and back trail located near Phoenicia, New York that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, fishing, snowshoeing, and backpacking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2073 feet

Great hike took 3 hrs round trip First 2 tenths of the hike is the hardest Weather was 30degrees dry trail no mud

It was a brisk day 11/11/17 first ones on the trail that day
Pleasant hike still not sure why it's rated hard
The terrain is easy to navigate made to the tower in 2 hours and 20 min that included a pit stop to the first lean to
I would DEFINATELY do this hike again

Nice walk in the woods. went up steadily but felt like a long hike... no views going up, nice fall colors. Tower was locked

Nice hike, moderately steep some of the way but very easy with switchbacks. No views from the summit, great views from the firetower.

Nice moderate hike...love when the payoff is a firetower. Unfortunately the clouds were hanging pretty low and the view was not too great. Trail seemed great for families with children met several on the trail

Awesome but be careful off loose rocks

Not bad ok hike i wouldn't say hard good workout views were good from tower. Another 1 down on the fire tower challenge that's most important. FYI no snakes bears or wolves just lots of other hikers

love this place! fire tower is so cool, recommend to do it with low lying clouds, and alittle rain, it will be worth it

Great hike up. Very challenging. Views from FIRETOWER were phenomenal. Trail a bit slick from recent rains. A must do for the FIRETOWER Challenge.

A pretty challenging hike for me, but I was a little disappointed with the views; the tree line blocks most of it. The top of the firetower was locked when I went, but I was able to climb up most of the way, and from there you can see a better view.

Monday, November 07, 2016

Hiked it with my two sons. Tough with loose stones covered in leaves but we had a great time.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Not the most exciting trail. The footing is a little tough. Nice views from the tower.

Monday, September 05, 2016

One of the harder fire towers trails in the catskills and Adirondacks. Beautiful view from the tower.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Hike was not very challenging but just required stamina as it was loose shale all the way to the top. Fire tower provided a very nice view of the Catskills

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Hard at first but not too difficult. Pretty view from the fire tower.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Trail was all loose shale the whole way, the views from the summit are okay at best as the tree line continues to grow higher. We had a great night camping on the mountain though. We also has a bear sighting on our descent from the top, so be mindful of that possibility

Monday, April 25, 2016

Easily accessible with a good parking area. I started at 8:30am and was the only one on the trail aside from the wolf that crossed the path in front of me. Passed 5 groups of hikers on my way down the hill around 10am.

Steep ascent in the beginning with loose shale. Regretted not bringing my boots, I could have used the ankle support. The fire-tower platform was locked, but there was a decent view from the stairs underneath. Great, quiet hike in the woods.

Saturday, March 05, 2016

The trail was challenging. There is a steep ascent not far from the parking lot. Ice was minimal. We did not need micro spikes. The trail has a lot of loose shale on it that makes it not all that fun to walk on. You need to keep your eyes on the ground a lot. I was glad I had poles and boots with ankle support. The trail levels out in places, which gives a nice respite from the steep climb. The view from the tower is very nice but there's not much of a view from the summit otherwise. The top of the tower is locked but you can get a good view from the stairs beneath it.

Saturday, September 05, 2015

This is a rocky trail in places with a good rock scramble in some areas. The trail is covered so there isn't any good views along the way up to the fire tower. On the way up I noticed that the spring was dry and there were campers in the lean to. The trail gave me a good workout along the way but I enjoyed it. There are no views once you reach the fire tower, unless you climb the fire tower and the view from there was well worth the hike.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Expecting bears and rattlesnakes after reading many people talk about them, me and my friends came extra prepared. However, not even a sight or sound of either (not that I'm complaining)! This was a little more strenuous for my novice hiker friends, but nonetheless, they managed and were very pleased with their reward at the top! So glad the rain moved out quickly and it was all sun for endless miles!